Author Topic: The Truth About Stranger Things  (Read 355 times)

summa logicae

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: +19
The Truth About Stranger Things
« on: November 18, 2017, 04:42:58 PM »
https://youtu.be/Q-Q46d5lltM
Does his audience really buy these types of videos? He just tacked on all the current right wing talking points to the show. The whole thing was so cartoonish that I can't believe it's not farce, much less that he's serious and his audience takes it as serious commentary.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 12:54:16 PM by summa logicae »

Bhez7

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: +10
Re: The Truth About Stranger Things
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 11:50:39 AM »
+2
Came here to post about this. It's so over the top, even for Molyneux; he bloviates about for most of the video, explaining how important the narratives we use are in what must be every single conceivable way of phrasing it. Then he quickly shoehorns in his interpretation of Stranger Things as...being about immigrants that leech of resources?

Someone in the comments pointed out how the show's creator has vocally denounced the kind of rhetoric Molyneux is using and someone suggested it was the 'elites' mocking the regular folk by inserting their dastardly plan into supernatural netflix series. These people are literally living in a movie, they see this vast, nefarious villainy rather than simple greed and ignorance.

summa logicae

• FDR Interested
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 12:38:09 PM »
Came here to post about this. It's so over the top, even for Molyneux; he bloviates about for most of the video, explaining how important the narratives we use are in what must be every single conceivable way of phrasing it. Then he quickly shoehorns in his interpretation of Stranger Things as...being about immigrants that leech of resources?

Someone in the comments pointed out how the show's creator has vocally denounced the kind of rhetoric Molyneux is using and someone suggested it was the 'elites' mocking the regular folk by inserting their dastardly plan into supernatural netflix series. These people are literally living in a movie, they see this vast, nefarious villainy rather than simple greed and ignorance.

The beginning where he talked about stories was really funny. One if his favorite things to do is to take the thing he's talking about and equate it to everything else like it's a deep insight: "The world runs on stories. Empires rise and fall on stories. Gods and governments rule through stories." Compare that to the beginning of his Art of the Argument book: "The first thing to understand is that the Argument is everything. The Argument is civilization; The Argument is peace; The Argument is love; The Argument is truth and beauty; The Argument is, in fact, life itself." It's so juvenile that I can't help but be entertained.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 12:40:53 PM by summa logicae »

Bhez7

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 02:25:02 PM »
+1
And so very Molyneux to completely reduce all complexity out of the equation to make a rhetorical point as if it's absolute truth. "Empires rise and fall on stories", I think things like industrial capacity, social cohesion, availability of resources and diplomatic relations, to name a few, have a rather large effect, but this would mean having to move beyond poorly examining bits of popular culture in order to understand.

summa logicae

• FDR Interested
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 03:46:20 PM »
+1
And so very Molyneux to completely reduce all complexity out of the equation to make a rhetorical point as if it's absolute truth. "Empires rise and fall on stories", I think things like industrial capacity, social cohesion, availability of resources and diplomatic relations, to name a few, have a rather large effect, but this would mean having to move beyond poorly examining bits of popular culture in order to understand.
Yes, and that's the main reason he has so many followers. It's much easier to believe you understand complex issues if you relinquish your own thinking and let someone else explain it to you, and easier still if the issue is explained as only black and white and you know you're on the right side.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2017, 03:51:35 PM by summa logicae »

Oliver Cromwell

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 05:24:01 PM »
+1

The beginning where he talked about stories was really funny. One if his favorite things to do is to take the thing he's talking about and equate it to everything else like it's a deep insight: "The world runs on stories. Empires rise and fall on stories. Gods and governments rule through stories." Compare that to the beginning of his Art of the Argument book: "The first thing to understand is that the Argument is everything. The Argument is civilization; The Argument is peace; The Argument is love; The Argument is truth and beauty; The Argument is, in fact, life itself." It's so juvenile that I can't help but be entertained.

You couldn't find a better example of idealism if you tried. Just replace Molyneux's deification of 'the Argument' with Plato's theory of forms. And Molyneux has spent years trashing Plato and all forms of idealism.

summa logicae

• FDR Interested
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 06:15:26 PM »

You couldn't find a better example of idealism if you tried. Just replace Molyneux's deification of 'the Argument' with Plato's theory of forms. And Molyneux has spent years trashing Plato and all forms of idealism.
I'd say it's a psuedo mystical attempt at propping up a very badly thought out definition of what an argument is. He may be using Plato as a template but the man is an rhetorician at best.

The Observer

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +121
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 09:12:17 PM »
+1
Stef says he's boycotting Hollywoood.  A month later, this video comes out.  ;D

I also got a chuckle from when he criticized the people who said he was "overthinking things".  Moly has never learned that yes, you can overthink at times.  We all have been guilty of this.

summa logicae

• FDR Interested
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 10:56:13 PM »
Stef says he's boycotting Hollywoood.  A month later, this video comes out.  ;D

I also got a chuckle from when he criticized the people who said he was "overthinking things".  Moly has never learned that yes, you can overthink at times.  We all have been guilty of this.
Ha! I don't know how he makes those pronouncements with a straight face. And how do his fans rationalize the hypocrisy? I wouldn't call anything that comes out of his mouth the product of "thinking" except in a very shallow sense,  much less over-thinking.

money detonator

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +692
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 10:26:42 AM »
+1
Click Bait
Confirmation Bias
"They are just money detonators!"  - Stefan Molyneux, passive-aggressive parenting expert, describes his wife and child as worse than taxation, podcast 2650

summa logicae

• FDR Interested
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 12:08:47 PM »
Click Bait
Confirmation Bias

Undoubtedly. I'm just wondering how much cognitive dissonance goes on in order for them to think he's a philosopher.

JimJesus

• #ArizonaIcedOutBoys
  • FDR Enlightened
  • "I thought they taught philosophy over there."
  • Respect: +96
    • Jim Jesus
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 08:46:34 AM »
+1
I'm just going to leave this here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUG9521gEuE

money detonator

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +692
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 04:32:20 PM »
The Truth About Molyneux:

Molyneux  ...... Mouth Breather    ;)
"They are just money detonators!"  - Stefan Molyneux, passive-aggressive parenting expert, describes his wife and child as worse than taxation, podcast 2650