Author Topic: From philosophy king to confused young man...  (Read 4632 times)

cogito

• FDR Curious
  • Respect: 0
From philosophy king to confused young man...
« on: June 02, 2014, 05:22:09 PM »
Hello,

I just wanted to introduce myself to you all. I was known on FDR by the same name I currently have here, cogito, and between the years of 2005/6 to mid-2009 I was pretty into FDR and was featured on a few podcasts both in person and in reference by others.

I don't necessarily buy into the notion that FDR is a cult, but I certainly believe it is a magnet for a certain type of person and a facilitator of often harmful behaviour. When this first started being made known to me was when I began questioning the party line on global warming, but it really, in all honesty, blew up when my best friend at the time (Tuttle) and my ex (amagi) started a relationship shortly after we broke up. This was initially hidden from me. When I went seeking help from Molynuex and the community I took advice, and as a consequence perhaps shared too much that was on my mind, too many relationship secrets.

Shortly after this, I found out that I had been a topic of discussion following one of the summer BBQs at the Molyneux household - which was only revealed to me by a faux pas from one of that set (Phil I believe) who I was informed had been strongly reprimanded. Safe to say, the fall out I experienced was dramatic, cruel and painful. But as much as it was like having the rug pulled out from under me, it was also like having the curtains drawn back from my view. I was able to experience and see the madness of what FDR had become over the years since I joined.

I am honestly grateful I wasn't present over the past few years as the group has devolved into open misogyny and tip toes towards worse.

If anyone has questions about my experience or anything else please feel free to comment. I'll end it here at the risk of boring you all.  :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 06:07:32 PM by cogito »

phlogiston

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: +5
Re: From philosophy king to confused young man...
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 08:34:33 PM »
 Good post and you didn't bore me and I dare say anyone.

Other than that welcome and let others ask the questions.

ZetaMan

• The Master Debator and Cunning Linguist
  • FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: 0
    • Eclectic Vibrations Radio
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 01:37:15 PM »
Thanks for sharing, and I wasn't bored either.

Maybe as you continue to read, post, and post to threads here you can help us build our picture of exactly what it is FDR has devolved into.

Re: Cult.
Is it possible your definition of cult, according to the people who study them, might not be accurate? The next 2 immediate sentences after that you pretty much described fundamental characteristics of a cult. The question around here is not whether FDR is a cult, but is it a destructive cult?

In my limited time on FDR (which disgusted me so much I saught out Molly's detractors) I was going through a rough marital break-up. Whenever someone would catch wind that this was my experience I would be subjected to questions, questions, questions. Then my situation would become a "philosophical" discussion like there was no Humanity involved and we were just parameters and data in a logical conundrum. So I can imagine how your delicate situation was handled by the community. It must have been real vicious behind your back.

Thanks for posting - do stick around. It's getting exciting around here.
"Suppose they had a gender war, and men showed up"
- Paul Elam

Elucidated

• Kallipolis Agitator
  • FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +201
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 03:05:13 AM »
Currently, I have just completed a degree in psychology with high marks, have a good relationship with my family and am applying for a masters in clinical psychology.

Hello cogito
Its great to hear that you've come away from 3 or 4 years of FDR and have what sounds like a really well balanced life. Look forward to more of your input  :)

Prodigal son

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 04:24:23 AM »
Hi Cogito
I recall you from the FDR boards back in the day. My impression was that you were a very clever and quick-witted fellow so I don't suppose you're more than commonly confused like the rest of us, and arguably a bit less so.
I was made aware of the episode you mention and I remember being greatly surprised at the time that this free-thinking and envelope-pushing community was engaging in what looked suspiciously like petty ostracism and back-biting of the schoolyard variety, but sadly I shrugged it off and persisted in my mad intention to become a devotee at the feet of the master. I have often been accused of over enthusiasm and the arrow hits home; apparently I am not good at under enthusiasm or middling enthusiasm.
Although you seem to be very good at it, I am distrustful of the scope and premises of clinical psychology but as always (or at least most of the time), I speak from a place of unabashed ignorance.
Peace

Kaz

• Ideological Gadfly
  • FDR Wizard
  • "Dangerous Liaisons" by Rene Magritte
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 01:29:59 AM »
hi cogito,
your name sounds familiar, but I can't place you.  I wasn't there very long, so I doubt you remember me, but my user name was Cas or Caz or something along those  lines.  I think that the misogyny has always been there, it just wasn't so open.

It sucks that you were treated like that, but I am glad that it lead to you waking up to FDR culture and congratulations on your new degree; I'm glad that your interest in this subject prompted you go out and study it for real. 

Feel free to write more about your experiences in general.  I would be interested in hearing about how your thought process evolved as you were waking up.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 01:32:11 AM by Kaz »
Just because you have left FDR, it doesn't mean that FDR has left you.

"Taking responsibility for something and self-blame are horses of two entirely different colors. The former is empowering; the latter is paralyzing." ~ John Rosemond, Ph.D

Patience

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +65
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 06:04:19 PM »
Cogito, so glad you have found your way to this site. I'm relieved that you have left FDR far behind and have a good relationship with your family again. Congratulations on your degree. I'm sure you will do well in your chosen field and your experiences will enable you to see things in a different light.

Disillusioned

• FDR Authority
  • Respect: +239
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 04:01:25 PM »
Hello,

I just wanted to introduce myself to you all. I was known on FDR by the same name I currently have here, cogito, and between the years of 2005/6 to mid-2009 I was pretty into FDR and was featured on a few podcasts both in person and in reference by others.

I don't necessarily buy into the notion that FDR is a cult, but I certainly believe it is a magnet for a certain type of person and a facilitator of often harmful behaviour.

Welcome! :) Thanks for your post. I'd like to know more about why you've come to these conclusions about Freedomain Radio if you don't mind. Admittedly, it is very tricky to nail down FDR definitively as a cult, but I think that has a lot to do with the nature of how cults operate.
“I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong.”
― Richard Feynman

Elvis_left_the_building

• FDR Enlightened
  • Lewd and raunchy freethinker
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 06:44:37 PM »

I am honestly grateful I wasn't present over the past few years as the group has devolved into open misogyny and tip toes towards worse.

Aha misogyny, the hatred of women. Better have proof of it, otherwise, stop slandering people with your bullshit. :)

Hierophant

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 06:30:59 PM »
Do we have a cult defender in the house? Oh boy.

QuestEon

• Just some guy with a blog.
  • Administrator
  • FDR Wizard
  • What's your opinion? I'd love to hear it!
  • Respect: +436
    • FDR Liberated
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 06:53:16 PM »
Do we have a cult defender in the house? Oh boy.

Not sure why he necro'd a three-year-old thread....!
It isn't about winning the debate. It's about the truth.