Author Topic: Molyneux Debate that he doesn't win  (Read 1710 times)

swoods_1981

• FDR Curious
  • Respect: +1
Molyneux Debate that he doesn't win
« on: January 18, 2018, 07:33:13 PM »
+1
So, this probably isn't the best forum for my experience because I have never been a "member" of FDR, but I have listened to quite a few. 
If you have ever noticed that Molyneux is polite and accepting of his invited guest who are is intellectual equals, but always wins his "debate" with the people you don't know or the call in guest.  I recorded our very brief conversation, and I now know why he wins.  If he even has someone who presents the smallest intellectual challenge he simple cuts you off and refuses to air the discussion.  Not only that, but he refuses to give you the raw tape.  Little did he know I recorded our back and forth. 
I'm looking for the best place and the best way to expose his intellectual dishonesty. 
I'm completely in favor of people only publishing things that only make themselves look good and their channel, but be honest.  Don't champion yourself and the defenders of reason, facts, and evidence and cut people who make compelling arguments off while intellectually bullying people who are not your equals in intellectual arguments.

summa logicae

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +49
Re: Molyneux Debate that he doesn't win
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 11:43:49 AM »
+4
Except that Molyneux isn't an intellectual; he's a sophist or rhetorician if you like. He knows enough tricks to keep someone that has little or no experience in debate and little or no knowledge of good argumentation and logical fallacies very confused.  And that's why he usually doesn't hold debates with people that can challenge him in any way. The few times he has it doesn't turn out well and he comes off looking like a childish bully. He'll invite real intellectuals, like Chomsky or Jordan Peterson on to give himself an air of legitimacy for what he says. Consider putting a video on YouTube. The more there are exposing Molyneux the better.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 11:47:04 AM by summa logicae »

js66

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +109
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 09:22:07 PM »
+1
So, this probably isn't the best forum for my experience because I have never been a "member" of FDR, but I have listened to quite a few. 
If you have ever noticed that Molyneux is polite and accepting of his invited guest who are is intellectual equals, but always wins his "debate" with the people you don't know or the call in guest.  I recorded our very brief conversation, and I now know why he wins.  If he even has someone who presents the smallest intellectual challenge he simple cuts you off and refuses to air the discussion.  Not only that, but he refuses to give you the raw tape.  Little did he know I recorded our back and forth. 
I'm looking for the best place and the best way to expose his intellectual dishonesty. 
I'm completely in favor of people only publishing things that only make themselves look good and their channel, but be honest.  Don't champion yourself and the defenders of reason, facts, and evidence and cut people who make compelling arguments off while intellectually bullying people who are not your equals in intellectual arguments.

There are a couple of conversations where he ended up looking bad.
But even in those conversations he had to preface the conversation or write up a response after the fact.

Brainpolice2

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +92
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 02:43:25 AM »
+5
I would say that there are quite a few debates where the "little guy" actually is correct and Molynuex isn't, but the "little guy" is not good at quick verbal debate and Molynuex "wins the debate" by essentially oppurtunistically brow-beating them and constantly distracting from their attempts to make their points with non-sequiturs and hyperbolic statements. Actually quickly calling that out in real time is not something most people are prepared for, even if they are the correct one in the debate and they are an intellectual type.

Molyneux is a rhetorician and knows how to shut someone down by talking really fast and overwhelming the person he is debating with distractions. He also commonly jumps on what people say in order to take it out of context and imply something that makes them look stupid. That doesn't mean he actually has won the debate through logic. It means he employs logical fallacies and strong-arm tactics to his advantage, often turning the other person's argument into a misleading caricature that is easy to shoot down.

A big part of Molyneux's method from the early days really is a simplistic kind of game, where everyone who disagrees with you can be quickly reduced to a strawman in which they appear to be denying something that is basic and obvious, or terribly contradicting themselves. But in order to do this, Molyneux has to ignore the real substance of the debate and twist words. This is often achieved through a series of (mis)leading questions.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 02:57:20 AM by Brainpolice2 »

poopmeat

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +197
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2018, 04:53:21 AM »
I was never a member of FDR but I have listened and timestamped most of FDR's podcasts.

Free Domain Radio - Timestamps
http://skepticproject.com/articles/fdr/timestamps/

I have a youtube channel at which you could play the recording/add commentary to it as well in a live broadcast. Just get in contact with me if you're interested.

money detonator

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +761
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 01:31:24 PM »
+1
If all else fails, call the person a statist, accuse them of wanting you shot dead, and then hang up on (defoo) them:

https://youtu.be/5Du-wt_aVpI

The Observer

• FDR Authority
  • Respect: +136
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 12:08:53 AM »
I hope you will share your call.  I also have a youtube channel, showing a lot of his contradictions.  I'm curious what exactly happened in your call with him. 

Molyneux even said to his listeners that "if you're going to step into the ring with me, I'm going to use every trick in the book..."   He admitted that his debates have little to do with logic and more about how to verbally dominate someone.