Author Topic: Exclusive! Stefan Molyneux sued for misrepresentation, defamation  (Read 22132 times)

mikef

• FDR Authority
  • Respect: +133
Re: Exclusive! Stefan Molyneux sued for misrepresentation, defamation
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2014, 10:35:11 PM »
+1

I suspect you are right about him working without financial compensation, but have doubts about him being that much of a believer.  He appears to really get a sadistic thrill from the position of power and control he has within FDR, a case of being the big fish in a small pond.

I don't think he works for free.  I think he did initially but only because he saw the potential in the operation and how it would suit him.  I agree that I don't think he's much of a true believer.  I think he's intelligent enough to see through all the nonsense which again points towards malicious intent.  He doesn't have the excuse of ignorance.

Argent

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +83
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2014, 02:55:59 AM »
There's no way the power isn't going to his head. It's just a fact of life that power corrupts. Despite all the shortcomings of the democratic government concept, I think one positive is the built-in refresh of individuals within the governing body. And you're not supposed to get dudes at the top who make arbitrary decisions and then either hide or obfuscate the truth about their actions. Which is standard operating procedure at FDR, so much so that the core donators don't even have a problem with it. Actually, I think they like being privileged buddies of the ruling elite.

I'm sure that's an overly pessimistic way of looking at the situation, but there you go.

DePoo

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +23
« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2014, 05:35:01 AM »
Can't remember where it was on YouTube, but a comment on a recent call-in show video, some fan remarked that Mike was starting to sound like Molyneux. Mike said "That's the best compliment ever."

Prodigal son

« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2014, 05:50:57 AM »
Can't remember where it was on YouTube, but a comment on a recent call-in show video, some fan remarked that Mike was starting to sound like Molyneux. Mike said "That's the best compliment ever."

I take no pride in saying that as a Teeb I too had started to sound like Molyneux. We all did, to my ear, because we had all started to use his catchphrases and copy his style of delivery. It's not surprising really, because to say anything that Molyneux had not already said was a risky endeavour.
It's more like an acting school than a philosophy resource.

mikef

• FDR Authority
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2014, 11:02:13 AM »
+1

It's more like an acting school than a philosophy resource.

Well, it's typical cult training.

I think MMD wants to be as good as Molyneux at manipulating people.   I don't think he cares about the things that Molyneux says he just wants to learn the tools.   Even to expand on and improve them.  Although he doesn't have the subtlety of Moly.   He thinks he can just go out there and do what he wants, start some insane reputation system on the forum, DMCA critics etc.  Go on Joe Rogan's show and expand their reach.   I would say he is more ambitious but more careless at the same time.   Moly was surfing along quite nicely in the lib community but attempts to expand beyond it, which seem to me to be driven largely by MMD, may be his undoing.  It remains to be seen if FDR can recover, but if Moly had any sense he would have thrown MMD under the bus.  I'm just thankful he didn't and I hope he continues to support him.  MMD is the best thing that's happened for critics of Moly imo.  It brings him out into the open.

mikef

• FDR Authority
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2014, 11:09:34 AM »
Which is standard operating procedure at FDR, so much so that the core donators don't even have a problem with it. Actually, I think they like being privileged buddies of the ruling elite.

I'm sure that's an overly pessimistic way of looking at the situation, but there you go.

Sounds pretty accurate to me.  It's like a pyramid.   People are happy as long as they have people below them to abuse and everyone wants to make their way to the top.   Very much like government also, but then I've often compared nation states to cults.

Mike_Lice

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +318
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2014, 03:21:36 PM »
Tru Shibes tweeted this article from the verge. It mentions her lawsuit against Stefan Molyneux (wow much expsure, so good! ;) )

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/8/7350597/why-its-so-hard-to-stop-online-harassment

"Systems that rely on humans to report content, and even more humans to process those reports, are in theory going to be more sensitive to context than automatic algorithms, but even those are avenues for abuse by bad-faith actors from all across the ideological spectrum. See, for example, the lawsuit currently proceeding against Stefan Molyneux, a prominent men’s rights activist, who is being sued for fraudulent use of the DMCA in taking down a YouTube channel dedicated to criticizing his podcast for misogyny. And it’s not just copyright enforcement mechanisms that are used to stifle open discussion of misogyny. When one woman confronted her street harassers, secretly filmed their reactions, and uploaded the videos onto YouTube, her videos were taken down "as a violation of YouTube’s policy on nudity or sexual content." When BuzzFeed asked about the takedown, a YouTube spokesperson responded saying, "With the massive volume of videos on our site, sometimes we make the wrong call." Even with real people on the other end to look at the context of a complaint, bad decisions are made. But automated systems won’t even take context into consideration."

Elvis_left_the_building

• FDR Enlightened
  • Lewd and raunchy freethinker
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2014, 03:27:55 PM »
Although the thread has meandered quite a bit since the early days I'd like to add my congratulations to Ms Raven for a taking such a courageous stand against a man we have come to recognise as not earning an honest wage in his community (and there are many such as he).

He is earning no wage at all, bro. He is persuading the gullible to donate for his show.  ;) I reconed that he is less aggressive in his approach than usual.

And it’s not just copyright enforcement mechanisms that are used to stifle open discussion of misogyny.
Discussion. Some people denouncing him being mysogynistic but hey it is a self-defeating statement which ends up in circular reasoning as following: Criticising some women for bad choices or behaviour = mysogyny, criticising some men for bad choices or behaviour = mysandry, criticising women who criticise men for bad behaviour = mysogyny ...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 03:37:58 PM by Elvis_left_the_building »

Kaz

• Ideological Gadfly
  • FDR Wizard
  • "Dangerous Liaisons" by Rene Magritte
  • Respect: +154
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2014, 11:01:36 PM »
Tru Shibes tweeted this article from the verge. It mentions her lawsuit against Stefan Molyneux (wow much expsure, so good! ;) )

http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/8/7350597/why-its-so-hard-to-stop-online-harassment

"Systems that rely on humans to report content, and even more humans to process those reports, are in theory going to be more sensitive to context than automatic algorithms, but even those are avenues for abuse by bad-faith actors from all across the ideological spectrum. See, for example, the lawsuit currently proceeding against Stefan Molyneux, a prominent men’s rights activist, who is being sued for fraudulent use of the DMCA in taking down a YouTube channel dedicated to criticizing his podcast for misogyny. And it’s not just copyright enforcement mechanisms that are used to stifle open discussion of misogyny. When one woman confronted her street harassers, secretly filmed their reactions, and uploaded the videos onto YouTube, her videos were taken down "as a violation of YouTube’s policy on nudity or sexual content." When BuzzFeed asked about the takedown, a YouTube spokesperson responded saying, "With the massive volume of videos on our site, sometimes we make the wrong call." Even with real people on the other end to look at the context of a complaint, bad decisions are made. But automated systems won’t even take context into consideration."

I told her about this in chat earlier.  It's just a mention not about her case.  It also inaccurately portrays him as some MRM figure.  The writer obviously has dug deep enough into him to know it's just a small part of his overall scam.

The author didn't let the accuracy of the portrayal get in the way of her segue.

Just because you have left FDR, it doesn't mean that FDR has left you.

"Taking responsibility for something and self-blame are horses of two entirely different colors. The former is empowering; the latter is paralyzing." ~ John Rosemond, Ph.D

Philosofree

• Awkward Segway
  • FDR Enlightened
  • One does not simply call in and debate.
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2014, 10:09:11 AM »
+1

I told her about this in chat earlier.  It's just a mention not about her case.  It also inaccurately portrays him as some MRM figure.  The writer obviously has dug deep enough into him to know it's just a small part of his overall scam.

Better that he was portrayed as "a prominent men's right activist" than as a "prominent libertarian/anarcho-capitalist/anarchist/voluntaryist" in my opinion... And glad that they didn't call him a "philosopher."
"In the long run we're all TruShibes."
so truth
much profound
wow

Philosofree

• Awkward Segway
  • FDR Enlightened
« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2014, 01:08:43 PM »
+1
Better that he was portrayed as "a prominent men's right activist" than as a "prominent libertarian/anarcho-capitalist/anarchist/voluntaryist" in my opinion... And glad that they didn't call him a "philosopher."

Just so long as "philospher" is in quotes but sometimes I prefer to just call him a fauxlosopher or foolosopher.

One of my favorite parts of the Tru Shibes complaint is where it says:

Stefan Molyneux and his methods of promoting his radical psychological and social theories, which he calls “philosophy.”
so truth
much profound
wow

mikef

• FDR Authority
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2014, 10:40:50 PM »
+1
"See, for example, the lawsuit currently proceeding against Stefan Molyneux, a prominent men’s rights activist, who is being sued for fraudulent use of the DMCA in taking down a YouTube channel dedicated to criticizing his podcast for misogyny."

There's so many inaccuracies in that one sentence there's no reason for anyone with even a passing knowledge of Moly to take it seriously.

It was simply there to serve the rest of the article.   A nice little "look, someone's even being sued for this".

Is he a misogynist?  Probably.  Is he a prominent MRA?  No, in fact I would hazard virtually no-one in the MRA community cares much about him at all.  Was the channel dedicated to criticising his mysogny?  I've only seen a fraction of the TS videos but at least half of them didn't mention it.   After all, there's so much beyond just the woman-hating comments.  Even if that was the initial reason TS became interested, it soon evolved to take in so much more.   And he certainly didn't take down the channel simply because someone was criticising him for misogyny.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:49:04 PM by mikef »

Mike_Lice

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +318
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2014, 03:03:42 AM »
+1
"See, for example, the lawsuit currently proceeding against Stefan Molyneux, a prominent men’s rights activist, who is being sued for fraudulent use of the DMCA in taking down a YouTube channel dedicated to criticizing his podcast for misogyny."

There's so many inaccuracies in that one sentence there's no reason for anyone with even a passing knowledge of Moly to take it seriously.

It was simply there to serve the rest of the article.   A nice little "look, someone's even being sued for this".

Is he a misogynist?  Probably.  Is he a prominent MRA?  No, in fact I would hazard virtually no-one in the MRA community cares much about him at all.  Was the channel dedicated to criticising his mysogny?  I've only seen a fraction of the TS videos but at least half of them didn't mention it.   After all, there's so much beyond just the woman-hating comments.  Even if that was the initial reason TS became interested, it soon evolved to take in so much more.   And he certainly didn't take down the channel simply because someone was criticising him for misogyny.

This is pretty much standard in journalism, a lot of stuff that is reported is wrong.
Thats why when Stefan does a Truth about video where he bases his "Truth" on people on articles he finds on the internet (including news articles) how does he know the journalist has all his facts straight?
Unless Stefan is an expert in the person's history he can never tell the real truth about nobody.

Philosofree

• Awkward Segway
  • FDR Enlightened
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2014, 01:02:21 PM »
Unless Stefan is an expert in the person's history

You dare to question Stef's expertise?

he can never tell the real truth

ARE YOU CALLING HIM A LIAR?!
so truth
much profound
wow