Author Topic: Anarchast Ep. 214 Eric Dubay: The Flat Earth Conspiracy!  (Read 7622 times)

Dr. Elvis H. Christ

+1
This is without a shadow of doubt the most absurd and ridiculous idea that anyone has entertained.  It makes Moly's stuff look sane by comparison. Berwick is clearly much more gullible than I'd ever have thought for even doing this interview, and an absolute moron for following through by posting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8oEpc6CTs

Stink Insurance

• FDR Aware
  • You're gonna need some
  • Respect: +32
Re: Anarchast Ep. 214 Eric Dubay: The Flat Earth Conspiracy!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 05:14:38 PM »
+1
Berwick is a moron. I knew it even when I was a Stef fanboy and ancap. I liked someone interviewing ancaps but this guy is so vacuous that it made for unbareable listening.

When I saw he was linking people to David Icke it was like my suspicions of him being a gullible idiot were confirmed so I'm not all that surprised that he's into flat earth theories lol.

first five minutes of this thing and I'm already facepalming. I don't know if I can take any more.

TokenMinorityReport

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: +142
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 09:30:09 PM »
This is without a shadow of doubt the most absurd and ridiculous idea that anyone has entertained.  It makes Moly's stuff look sane by comparison. Berwick is clearly much more gullible than I'd ever have thought for even doing this interview, and an absolute moron for following through by posting it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rq8oEpc6CTs

I don't understand why his antics haven't resulted in aTDVRevealed page yet. Lower the IQ and amp the sexual predation and you have raging narcissism equal to Stef's with far more blundering.
"Nor have you built a strong body that you can proudly possess, because such a body is capable of inflicting great violence."--Recently Banned

Prodigal son

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 04:46:01 AM »
Well, to break with the general trend here I have to say I very much enjoyed listening to this guy's ideas.

This is not to say, of course, that I think the earth is flat. I have no idea what the earth is other than what I am told and I can't personally test that data, either because I'm too thick or because the task is too hard.

In line with my old mate Aristotle, quoted by Berwick, I think of this kind of idea as a thought experiment. There is also an idea out there (again quite an ancient one) that the earth is hollow and contains an inner world. This is fantastical stuff for the modern mind although I suppose it was perfectly reasonable for the ancients.

Much of the world's population believes in the existence of an intelligent force shaping all life and matter. Science of course prefers big bangs and suchlike. The difference between the two understandings of the universe is vast, but it seems the matter cannot be settled since there is no universal touchstone of truth that can be produced.
In this brain wrenching context I think a relatively minor matter such as the flatness of our habitat can be relegated to some hard-to-reach shelf in the library... at least for the time being.

I think some of the arguments made for a flat earth were quite good and they got me thinking a fair bit, while others seemed to be silly and unconvincing.

Well done (just my opinion) Jeff Berwick for sticking your neck out like this. I know people here and elsewhere are claiming he's either having a breakdown or, perhaps, cynically attempting to mine a potential audience (and they may be quite right about either of those points), but in the "truth" movement where all these 'crazy' ideas coalesce, this kind of personal development is often described - to the greatest annoyance of the skeptics - as an "awakening".

Related (loosely). Edit: video must be watched on YT. The segment I attempted to link starts at around 50 seconds and proceeds to the end.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 04:48:33 AM by Prodigal son »

TokenMinorityReport

• FDR Aware
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 07:49:37 AM »
+1
I know my repeat addition to the dog pile makes it seems otherwise, but I am being both conservative and honest. JB is the embodiment of the Dunning-Kruger effect, driven by self-aggrandizement, alcohol, and the desire to prove how alpha he is by molesting your wife, girlfriend, or sister.

The libertarian, and particularly anarchist, world draws some diseased personalities with a thirst for fame but a lack of actual talent. They thrive in the niche market margins where people are desperate for their own fringe media stars and heroes. How else could JB survive the episodic embarrassments and catastrophes that are his public and professional life? There are apparently more than enough sad or lazy AnCaps desperate for an AnCap bad boy to keep JB's ego and lifestyle going.

"Nor have you built a strong body that you can proudly possess, because such a body is capable of inflicting great violence."--Recently Banned

mikef

• FDR Authority
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 08:52:04 AM »
The libertarian, and particularly anarchist, world draws some diseased personalities with a thirst for fame but a lack of actual talent. They thrive in the niche market margins where people are desperate for their own fringe media stars and heroes. 

There are many of these people in the more mainstream world as well.  Some of them even get voted into office.   

TokenMinorityReport

• FDR Aware
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 09:02:47 AM »
The libertarian, and particularly anarchist, world draws some diseased personalities with a thirst for fame but a lack of actual talent. They thrive in the niche market margins where people are desperate for their own fringe media stars and heroes. 

There are many of these people in the more mainstream world as well.  Some of them even get voted into office.   

I get it. But those without the charisma or skill to rise in the mainstream thrive in the marginal markets. Libertarianism is like the country music, where losers consume the output of low talent hacks who can't make it as pop musucians. I say this as a dissolutioned but hopeful advocate of a fully voluntary society.

mikef

• FDR Authority
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 09:07:45 AM »

I get it. But those without the charisma or skill to rise in the mainstream thrive in the marginal markets. Libertarianism is like the country music, where losers consume the output of low talent hacks who can't make it as pop musucians. I say this as a dissolutioned but hopeful advocate of a fully voluntary society.

It's often the ones with the charisma and skill that are the more worrying.    The fact that Berwick's craziness doesn't concern me that much is because he isn't particularly charismatic and will likely never have a significant audience.   He seems mostly harmless to me.

TokenMinorityReport

• FDR Aware
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 11:00:52 AM »
+2

Harmless in what way?  True he's not like Moly in trying to sell some totalitarian views of how everyone should live but he's still a fearmonger that profits from creating and propogating paranoia about some imminent financial collapse.  Then there is the whole Galt's Gulch Chile fiasco where at the very least he's guilty of being negligent by not checking out his business partners before entrusting millions of dollars to them or even researching some very basic zoning issues.  A considerable amount of financial harm to many investors resulted from that.

Exactly. He is slimy, grasping for recognition at great cost to others he's managed to bedazzle with his tough anarchist posturing and fantasy writing. He has done much harm to AnCapism in general and to the financial health of several individual AnCaps.

Stef is embracing the mainstream religious right because he finally can. AnCaps are easy to rally but they tend to be poor. Much bigger revenue in sucking up to the Christian Republicans. Stef's "voluntary world" would look an awful lot like a Republican one. So even though he is a huckster chameleon his current trajectory is more in line with his true desires.

Berwick on the other hand is going down the Jones-Icke road now that he has repeatedly and hilariously failed to become Doug Casey. But Jeff managed to make a lot of people look bad and a lot more people poor on the way.

mikef

• FDR Authority
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2015, 11:18:14 PM »
Harmless in what way?  True he's not like Moly in trying to sell some totalitarian views of how everyone should live but he's still a fearmonger that profits from creating and propogating paranoia about some imminent financial collapse.  Then there is the whole Galt's Gulch Chile fiasco where at the very least he's guilty of being negligent by not checking out his business partners before entrusting millions of dollars to them or even researching some very basic zoning issues.  A considerable amount of financial harm to many investors resulted from that.

I guess I was thinking in terms of the above video.   If he's going to advocate stuff like that then few will take him seriously and those who do, well, some people just can't be helped.

I don't disagree with your criticisms at all, yes, he does fearmonger and yes GG is a problem (though it looks more like rank carelessness than actual malice to me on his part).  He still needs to make good on it though whatever the case, because he promoted it and people got involved on his recommendation.  Though I think the people who did put their money in, really should have known better too and didn't do their due diligence either.  I mean, the whole thing seemed risky to me from the start.  For a group of anarchists who believe in self-responsibility there didn't seem to be much thinking going on.