Author Topic: How the economy works...  (Read 3859 times)

mikef

• FDR Authority
  • Respect: +133
How the economy works...
« on: June 04, 2015, 01:34:00 AM »
Government steals an absolute ton of money from people as we all know.  It basically steals as much as it can get away with from people.   To fund the military, corporate welfare, personal welfare etc.

To compensate it provides cheap credit, primarily by printing money to buy debt in order to reduce interest rates.  People and companies then binge on the credit.  There is a spending frenzy which results in an economic boom.   

It gets to the point where people are too deeply in debt and too many bad investments have been made on the assumption that boom will last forever.   Then comes the correction and recession.  If the debts get to a certain level, you get a full-on financial crisis. 

After the recession is over, debts have been cleared through paying down debts or bankruptcy the entire cycle begins again ad infinitum.

If government didn't steal so much money and waste so much money would we need to have these credit binges?

strider

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: +8
Re: How the economy works...
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 02:59:30 PM »
+2
1. consent of the governed
2. government is a business like any other and apparently most people value the service it provides
3. localization would turn into mass turf war which would compel people to support total centralization of authority all over again, making all the death and destruction caused by needless decentralization to be in vain
4. the condition (state) of the government is a reflection/effect of the condition of the majority of the people who bother to participate in it; if one chooses not to participate then one has no place complaining about its condition
5. most anti-staters are and/or want some combination of the following:
a) pedophiles
b) white collar criminals or want to be able to commit white collar crime without consequence
c) want to be able to make money-for-nothing (in other words profit without actually contributing to society in any conducive way)
d) want to remove all protection and freedoms (power) with regard to the female half of the population, something only made possible via a nonlocal, impersonal, all-encompassing masculine entity
e) wants to be able to forcibly take women without consequence because they cannot get them otherwise
f) no economic responsibilities
g) are generally immature and/or criminally minded, and so it is only natural that such persons would be against a system with real standards and expectations that forces them into accountability

further: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EewvvjpHFM
« Last Edit: June 06, 2015, 03:15:54 PM by strider »

Koop

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 11:44:32 AM »
+2
Government steals an absolute ton of money from people as we all know.

Including 'as we all know' in the opening gambit of an argument  ::) this is the kind of thing that poisons Molyneux's 'conversations'.

mikef

• FDR Authority
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 10:34:35 AM »

further: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EewvvjpHFM

I'm not even talking so much about anarchism here, even though I admit I advocate it.

I'm just sick of the boom and bust cycle.  I'm sick of all the lies that government tells people during the boom period, making people think it will last forever and encouraging people to leverage up in debt which then results in banking problems when people en masse can't service their debt because boom wages are gone.

I think it destabilises the economy.  Not to mention all the personal tragedies when the boom inevitably turns to bust.   

I think it's reckless. 

mikef

• FDR Authority
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 10:38:41 AM »
Government steals an absolute ton of money from people as we all know.

Including 'as we all know' in the opening gambit of an argument  ::) this is the kind of thing that poisons Molyneux's 'conversations'.

Fair enough.  It comes from a sense of frustration.  We've had a boom that's ended here now (in Australia) and rather than examining the causal factors that lead to the bust people just want to assume that the boom was the natural way of things and we need to get it back. 

mikef

• FDR Authority
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 11:08:58 AM »

Don't want to drag this off-topic but just wanted to point out one thing.

I don't consent.

Weston Dupree

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 03:45:31 PM »

Don't want to drag this off-topic but just wanted to point out one thing.

I don't consent.

Not everyone consents, but governments get their power from citizens who go along with their agenda.