Author Topic: Dime-store Freud - All things Narcissistic  (Read 6582 times)

Kaz

• Ideological Gadfly
  • FDR Wizard
  • "Dangerous Liaisons" by Rene Magritte
  • Respect: +154
Dime-store Freud - All things Narcissistic
« on: January 03, 2016, 01:21:24 AM »
+4
Lately the topic of NPD has been popping up in various threads, sometimes grabbing all the attention!

I thought it might be a good idea to have all the insights posted in the one thread instead of all over the place.

Just because you have left FDR, it doesn't mean that FDR has left you.

"Taking responsibility for something and self-blame are horses of two entirely different colors. The former is empowering; the latter is paralyzing." ~ John Rosemond, Ph.D

Kaz

• Ideological Gadfly
  • FDR Wizard
Re: Dime-store Freud - Some Past Threads about Narcissism
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016, 09:30:10 PM »
+3
http://www.fdrliberated.com/forum/index.php?topic=1072.msg13490#msg13490

http://www.fdrliberated.com/forum/index.php?topic=1048.msg13123#msg13123

http://www.fdrliberated.com/forum/index.php?topic=1208.msg15491#msg15491

http://www.fdrliberated.com/forum/index.php?topic=783.msg9767#msg9767

http://www.fdrliberated.com/forum/index.php?topic=979.msg12248#msg12248

http://www.fdrliberated.com/forum/index.php?topic=1120.msg14145#msg14145

http://www.fdrliberated.com/forum/index.php?topic=1097.msg13830#msg13830

If I have missed a thread, please feel free to add, but please only add those that concentrate on the topic of narcissism and don't just mention it when referring to threads on the subject..

In a separate post(s), I plan to link to any isolated posts that are insightful on this subject.  I make this suggestion to minimise any "weeding" readers have to perform to get to the relevant reading material.

I suggest that orphan posts can be linked to if they relate to or are similar to any posting anyone intends to do in this thread.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 09:42:03 PM by Kaz »

"Taking responsibility for something and self-blame are horses of two entirely different colors. The former is empowering; the latter is paralyzing." ~ John Rosemond, Ph.D

QuestEon

• Just some guy with a blog.
  • Administrator
  • FDR Wizard
  • What's your opinion? I'd love to hear it!
  • Respect: +463
    • FDR Liberated
Re: Dime-store Freud - All things Narcissistic
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016, 11:18:20 PM »
+1
Thank you for doing this!
It isn't about winning the debate. It's about the truth.

Kaz

• Ideological Gadfly
  • FDR Wizard
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2016, 01:29:08 AM »
+1

: o )

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +651
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2016, 06:15:06 AM »
+1
One of my favourite narssistic deluges was in a recent podcast, when Molynuex essentially spent quarter of an hour talking about how brilliant he is . . . . and then when Molyneux finally pauses from praising himself to momentarliy bask in the glow of his own excellence the caller attempts to pull the conversation back on track (the topic was 'free will' rather than 'Stefan Molyneux is brilliant') - only to have Molynuex cut straight back in to hurry the caller along, telling him to make his point quickly as the show was approaching 3 hours  ;D . . . Has Molyneux got quarter of an hour to luxuriate in self-adulation and praise ? No problem. Got time to return to the actual caller's question ? Sorry caller, we are on a schedule here. Lol  ;D

Some of my favourite moments of self-deification during the podcast are . . .

2:00:45 Molyneux compares himself to Muhammad Ali, from out of absolutely nowhere he suddenly starts attacking people who think they can do philosophy (contrasting their abject lack of skill with him as a kind of Muhammad Ali of philosophy).

2:29:00 Molyneux struggles with his own genius, he feels he is so brilliant that it's literally a struggle to even comprehend . . “the odds that I am this good at what I’m doing are so ridiculously small that I’ve struggled with it - and occasionally still do - for years”

2:30:00 "What are the odds I’d be bringing 150 million points of light and philosophy to the world"

2:31:15 Molyneux feels he is so incredibly good that it defies probability: "I'm very good at what I do . . . I am . .  improbably good ! I come up with cool new ideas every single time, new analogies, new metaphors . . ."

2:32:40 Molyneux believes his talents are vanishingly rare and he is doing nothing less than motivating a whole planet: "the odds are that I am going to spontaneously generate great ideas, great arguments, entertaining ways of communicating philosophy and motivating a planet, the odds are infinitesimally small . . . "

2:33:10 By this stage Molyneux is so lost in his magnificence he lets out one of his 'nose laughs' at just how incredible he is  ;D He does a lot of these, laughing through his nose in a kind of amused snort.

2:33:20 Molyneux, after praising his own brilliance, tells the caller that it's important for smart people (like himself) to know how smart they are.

2:37:00 "If I had not recognised my own abilities, my own potential . . . I always thought I had some potential for something extraordinary, I always thought that . . . did not know it was going to be this" (Molyneux laughs at his own brilliance).

2:39:00 "I still have no idea of how good I can be in the long run . . . ."

2:44:00 "I’m a smart guy"

. . . . etc etc.

‎cdn.freedomainradio.com/FDR_3148_Call_In_Show_9_Dec_2015.mp3
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 12:50:10 AM by : o ) »
"In every ideologically based community, there's a group that's elated the confirmation bias machine has finally gotten around to visiting their neighbourhood, like the ice cream truck" . . money detonator

Kaz

• Ideological Gadfly
  • FDR Wizard
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2016, 10:23:53 PM »
+1
^ some good examples of indulging in self-deification.

The above are obvious examples of grandiose thinking.  Less obvious is the presumption that allows one to judge other people and tell them what they should be/not be doing without being asked.  I do not mean using discernment, or disapproving of destructive behaviour, or giving feedback.  I mean having the audacity to assume that one is above other human beings with the implicit assumption that you know what they are thinking and thus can condemn them.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 10:28:46 PM by Kaz »

Kaz

• Ideological Gadfly
  • FDR Wizard
PUA Grandiose Thinking
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2016, 06:44:39 PM »
+1
According to DSM IV NPD diagnostic criteria, one of the 5 or more behaviours indicative of a possible diagnosis is:

Believes he is "special" and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)

PUAs often argue that you don't understand what PUA is and the reason you don't is because you are a woman or you are a beta male.

• FDR Wizard
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 01:45:25 PM »
Some more classic Molyneux narcissism from his recent 'What Pisses Me Off About The Brussels Terrorist Attack' click-bait video.

Molyneux had planned to spend his day sitting in a sunny room whilst studying Aristotle "my second favourite philosopher" and sipping 'nice coffee' (such are the burdens mankind's saviour must endure) . . . but on hearing about the Brussels attacks he felt he needed to:

"bring truth to a desperate world"

At 27:00 Molyneux wonders to himself whether he should even bother to save the people of Europe with his profound rhetorical skills . . . 

"I don’t know if I wanna’ work to save these people (Europeans) I don’t know whether it's worth expending a single ounce of eloquence and effort to save Europe . . . "

. . . . . . . . . . .

"In every ideologically based community, there's a group that's elated the confirmation bias machine has finally gotten around to visiting their neighbourhood, like the ice cream truck" . . money detonator

theVerdantONE

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 02:18:40 PM »
I was reading the other day about NPD and the criteria of diagnosis (according to DSM IV, I believe) and was amazed at how Molyneux easily satisfies almost all of them.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder
A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements);
is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love;
believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions);
requires excessive admiration;
has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations;
is inter-personally exploitive, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends;
? lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others;
? is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her;
shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 02:22:27 PM by theVerdantONE »

• FDR Wizard
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 02:52:55 PM »
+1
I was reading the other day about NPD and the criteria of diagnosis (according to DSM IV, I believe) and was amazed at how Molyneux easily satisfies almost all of them.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder
A pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements);
is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love;
believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions);
requires excessive admiration;
has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations;
is inter-personally exploitive, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends;
? lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others;
? is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her;
shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes.

Of your two question marked points:

I agree that there's nothing to indicate he is envious of others or believes that others are envious of him - even if you were to argue this is true of him - for example: perhaps his disdain for academia is rooted in his failure to move beyond the masters stage, so harbours some resentment or envy for those who do, for those who 'beat' him in that particular intellectual race - then even if this were true it still wouldn't be a big part of his character.

I'm less convinced that he's not got any issues with empathy, I've seen plenty of interactions with callers that suggest (to my entirely untrained eye) that he displays an absolute lack of empathy, he's made plenty of videos that seem to be entirely underpinned by an ability to shut himself off from other people's feelings - I've always thought his definition of 'love' sounded like the musings of someone incapable of registering empathy. And more recently he's be toying with the idea of pathological altruism, which very much sounds like someone unable to feel empathy struggling when they see in others - seeing it as a flaw.

The rest of your points (the ticked ones) I absolutely agree with, in fact I can quite honestly say I would struggle to find someone who better fits these indicators, I'm not just saying that to rubbish Molyneux, I honestly cannot think of anyone who better fits these descriptions.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 03:01:23 PM by : o ) »

BORIS

• FDR Curious
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 04:30:22 PM »
+1
‎cdn.freedomainradio.com/FDR_3148_Call_In_Show_9_Dec_2015.mp3

This is absolutely incredible. He's saying when you get knowledgeable in one field it teaches you humility. Putting aside the obvious snarky conclusion from reverse, he argues this is because you realize how bad you are in other fields. (I believe most people would agree with the initial statement but for a different reason. It's because the more you immerse yourself in one topic, study and learn, the more you'll find answers to problems, but of course much more you'll find new problems.) However, he ends the conversation there and Mike introduces the next topic which revolves around r/K selection theory aka an ecological theory aka Stefan has no business lecturing about it - let alone applying it to non-ecological questions in modern human society - since he has no training at all in ecology, biology, geology or any other natural science.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 05:26:58 PM by BORIS »

• FDR Wizard
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 05:30:41 PM »
+2
This is absolutely incredible. He's saying when you get knowledgeable in one field it teaches you humility. Putting aside the obvious snarky conclusion from reverse, he argues this is because you realize how bad you are in other fields. (I believe most people would agree with the initial statement but for a different reason. It's because the more you immerse yourself in one topic, study and learn, the more you'll find answers to problems, but of course much more you'll find new problems.) However, he ends the conversation there and Mike introduces the next topic which revolves around r/K selection theory aka an ecological theory aka Stefan has no business lecturing about it - let alone applying it to non-ecological questions in modern human society - since he has no training at all in ecology, biology, geology or any other natural science.

Lol, I didn't spot that :)

I don't think there's really anything Molyneux doesn't feel he's authoritative in - or at the least he feels he has something important to add to that particular conversation.

"He's saying when you get knowledgeable in one field it teaches you humility"

He also makes a related point when he says time invested in one field, means you have less time to invest in other fields. So if you spend 10 years becoming a competition level chess player you are less available to become a Formula 1 driver or a heart surgeon (and so on).

So, recently (December last year I think) Molyneux's every changing 'hours I've spent studying philosophy' leapt from 30,000 to 45,000, even if he were doing a solid 8 hours a day, with just 4 weeks off a year, that would be over 23 years of study - notwithstanding the fact that he also claims to have spent a decade or so 'running' a software company and is a 'full-time' dad (both looking after and educating his daughter) - it's clear that he feels he has invested himself wholly in philosophy.

And yet his "investment on one field, means you have less time to invest in other fields" notion doesn't seem to apply to Molyneux himself, as even given his Herculean investment in philosophy he's also managed to become expert in economics and interpersonal relationships and child rearing and and ecology and human biology and IQ and sociology and the media and migration and science and religion and psychology and sexuality and pharmacology and politics . . . (insert everything) . . . he can even, quite literally, read minds (dream interpretation).

« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 06:10:03 PM by : o ) »

• FDR Wizard
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2016, 06:14:54 PM »
Narcissism: Molyneux on becoming the inspirational hero he hoped to worship:

“I wanted someone to love, and I was told it was supposed to be my mother, that didn’t work out so well, I was told it it was supposed to be other family members, that didn’t work out so well, I was told it was going to be god, that didn’t work out so well, I was told it was going to be Ayn Rand, that didn’t work out so well, so finally you give up and you end up becoming the hero you hoped to worship - that’s I think the final stage of self actualisation, is [sic] instead of finding someone to inspire you, you become someone who inspires . . . “

Reference: ‎cdn.freedomainradio.com/FDR_3193_Call_In_Show_27_Jan_2016.mp3 / @ 2:18:10