Author Topic: "The Road to Jonestown": new book, interview with Author  (Read 1414 times)

money detonator

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +769
"The Road to Jonestown": new book, interview with Author
« on: April 11, 2017, 05:57:48 PM »
I caught this interview on the radio in my car this morning with the author of a new book out on Jonestown, The Road to Jonestown :

Nearly 40 Years Later, Jonestown Offers A Lesson In Demagoguery
http://www.npr.org/2017/04/11/523348069/nearly-40-years-later-jonestown-offers-a-lesson-in-demagoguery

Click on arrow on the left side of page to listen to interview.
very interesting!

The author/journalist Jeff Guinn had previously written a book on Charles Manson.

Guinn says Jones, who founded Peoples Temple church, would take current events and exaggerate them to create a sense of fear and urgency.

Guinn says the lessons of Jonestown still resonate today. "Jim Jones epitomizes the worst that can happen when we let one person dictate what we hear [and] what we believe," he says. "We can only change that if we learn from the past and try to apply it to today."
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 11:46:02 AM by money detonator »

sacredfire222

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: +51
Re: "The Road to Jonestown": new book, interview with Author
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2017, 05:46:35 PM »
This is a very good podcast. Thank you for sharing it!  Any of the true followers of FDR would benefit from listening to this interview.  Many humans cannot handle power. There is a reason that it is said that power corrupts.  I was talking for a friend who mentioned that he has observed in his 60 years on this planet that it is very unwise to give power to those who want power for the sake of power.  Stef IS interested in power.  I am not entirely convinced that it is to make the world a better place.