Author Topic: New age of enlightenment  (Read 2090 times)

Elucidated

• Kallipolis Agitator
  • FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +213
New age of enlightenment
« on: June 05, 2012, 08:56:05 AM »
Kant's description of the age of enlightenment as “the emancipation of the human consciousness from an immature state of ignorance and error"  could be applied again today to the 'age of the internet'.

We can check out 'facts' instantly, research a topic that interests us effortlessly, Find like minded people to share ideas with, as on here – how did people used to do that? Where did people who are now over the age of say... 40 ish get the info to form their political, religious, philosophical views, ideas on child-rearing etc.?

What would it have taken before the Internet to glean the same knowledge? Hours in libraries, trawling through book after book, journal after journal, following up references, weeks of research to find out what could be done now in a few hours at home.

In another generation will we as a species have 'evolved', in our consciousness, and therefore behaviour, by passing on information rather than genes? Survival of the 'fittest' information so to speak.

If this were 20 – 25 years ago, what in particular that you know right now, would you not know?

Silo Bill

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +10
Re: New age of enlightenment
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 03:07:41 PM »

If this were 20 – 25 years ago, what in particular that you know right now, would you not know?

Right now in particular I know that the train I was going to catch is not going to be caught, by me at least.
Thanks to the Internet instead of waiting around for a platform announcement 3 minutes before my train is due I now know a good half hour before that it ain't gonna show tonight.
Bus /Taxi here I come.

But on a more serious note over the past 4 or 5 years I have taken a small interest in the seismic activity of our planet. There are numerous web sites that keep you updated with the latest quakes and all the data that goes with them.
A quick google earth search can take you straight to the affected region giving you a chance to get the feeling of what it actually may be like to be there.
Years ago the first you might have heard of a magnitude 5.4 was if it hit the headlines.
I don't know for sure but I guess 25 years ago one would have waited for a monthly magazine by which time the moment is lost.
The Internet gives us so much more so quickly.

It would probably be an easier task to list the items that one is unable to research.
Rainbow - Light in the Black