Author Topic: Have You Considered Doing Media Interviews About FDR's Influence?  (Read 584 times)

legendre

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: +7
+1
Aloha and Happy New Year!  ;D Back in 2006, I was already interested in free-market stuff, and people were telling me that that's why I should check out this innovative, up-and-coming YouTube channel called 'Stefbot'. As I mentioned earlier, one of the first people to whom I subscribed on YouTube was Colleen, who, at the time, kept plugging him. But after a few videos, I thought there was something fishy about him. When I saw the 2007 Guardian article about deFOOing, it confirmed my worst fears. By then, I was telling free-marketers in my circle on the internet that I thought this stuff was bad news (a number of my friends still got sucked in).

Over at the Globe and Mail in Canada, Tu Thanh Ha covered the Molyneux cult regularly. And there was that article in The Guardian, which is a world-famous newspaper. Still, though, whenever I tried to warn people about Molyneux's influence, they would say, 'Who?' If most journalists conceded there was something dangerous about what was going on, they still thought Molyneux's influence was still too small-time to cover; it would be like warning the whole world about a pimp who operates only on a small street corner somewhere.

And, of course, far from being stopped after being exposed in front of the libertarian anarchist community, Molyneux's star has only risen with the election of President Trump and the resurgence of white nationalism in Europe and Anglic countries. It's no longer the case that the only prominent people who've heard of Molyneux are Joe Rogan and The Young Turks' Ana Kasparian. Molyneux is now more famous than he ever was.

I find that disturbing but, in some ways, that also makes it easier to expose what he is doing. There are now many journalists alarmed by the Alt-Right and who mention Molyneux, and are trying to wrap their heads around Molyneux's mystique -- why so many people are enamored with him.

I want to ask those of you who've been following this for years -- and I want to ask QuestEon -- have you considered going to journalists who cover the Alt-Right, and doing interviews about this? Even journalists who are on a 'beat' where they cover Molyneux and the Alt-Right regularly, are often unclear on the nature of what Molyneux's influence was like 10 or even 5 years ago. So I think that now, with Molyneux more influential than ever before, the information that you have on this topic would be very helpful for reporters.

Faith

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +26
Re: Have You Considered Doing Media Interviews About FDR's Influence?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 12:58:47 PM »
Happy New Year to you, Stewart.

I was never involved in FDR (so have no input on that), but I think it would be an interesting topic for a journalist to explore.
Have you been following Vice Canada's series on the increase of alt-right groups in Canada?  I believe one of the journalists covering that topic has left messages on this forum a few years ago regarding Stefan, but I'm not sure if he ever wrote a story about it.

Does anyone know if Vice Canada did cover that? If so, I missed the article.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 08:09:00 PM by Faith »

money detonator

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +769
Re: Have You Considered Doing Media Interviews About FDR's Influence?
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2019, 12:37:58 PM »
I can think of at least several reasons that there isn't more criticism out there about Molyneux.

One is that he isn't that well known or regarded, in general, so there just isn't that much interest in him in the first place.  He has no expertise, distinction, or achievements.  In the big picture, he is just another crackpot on the Internet uploading podcasts and videos of himself yelling and shaking his fist in an empty room with a recording device.  In the beginning, he even surprised himself that people were listening to him.

Second, there is the old saying "don't feed the trolls".  It means that it is impossible to criticize someone who is mostly after attention or notoriety because it will only encourage them more.  Criticizing trolls only amplifies their existence or message; This hardly discourages them.  There are those that are lured to Molyneux because of criticism against him.  They think they are being edgy, contrarian, or rebels.  They are the ones loudly proclaiming that they are "finally thinking for themselves" and mindlessly chanting "not an argument" in some desperate attempt to convince themselves and others of their newfound superior intellect provided to them by listening to Molyneux's repetitive rants.

He only successfully generates controversy because he has been able to damage real lives.  The defoo process he promotes requires the person to publicly throw friends and family under the bus.  The result is that everyone's credibility is ruined in this process.  "Hi, I threw my friends and family under the bus because a podcaster told me to.  Now I want you to believe me that the podcaster is a bad person."  An average person who doesn't know any of the parties involved will be skeptical.  Throw into the equation that the Molyneux victim is usually someone who is hypersensitive about not being believed, and about being perceived as unintelligent, and it is easy to see why they aren't going to want to face public scrutiny.  Along with that, they have to deal with the army of Molyneux supporters on the Internet that are out there harassing his critics.  Given that he's been in the alt-right circle for years now, you have to assume there are some that are unstable and prone to violence.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 12:41:09 PM by money detonator »