Author Topic: Stefan Molyneux finds God-ish?!  (Read 31815 times)

megi

• FDR Authority
  • Respect: +21
Re: Stefan Molyneux finds God-ish?!
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 01:08:36 AM »
+1
I noticed a post on the FDR boards that was critical (gasp) of Molyneux's sudden change of heart in relation to religion:

http://nullrefer.com/?https://board.freedomainradio.com/topic/43639-fdr2927-reaction-on-me/?p=398989

This is a long-time member so I think it carries some weight, although unsurprisingly it was largely ignored.
It got me thinking, perhaps the uptick in activity here in recent days is somehow related to this issue? And, more seriously, since one of the reasons Molyneux has used to convince members to dissociate from friends and family is that the people in question have religious beliefs that they refuse to relinquish, this kind of turnaround could be deeply disruptive if anyone within the cult actually dares to think about it objectively. Are we about to see a renewed exodus of historic Teeb?

Victor's up for a rude awakening if he starts questioning FDR's censors, like he does in the thread. FDR promotion and commitment means nothing if you start questioning and pointing out Stefan's possible hypocrisies. The thread so far only contains the usual deflections.

X

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2015, 04:02:15 AM »
+1
Victor's up for a rude awakening if he starts questioning FDR's censors, like he does in the thread.

He certainly is, what on earth was he thinking, challenging the philosopher god Molyneux in his own fiefdom, I expect this troublemaker will be excommunicated pretty soon, disagreeing with Molyneux so openly will be seen as unhinged hostility.

Mike_Lice

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +318
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 05:45:07 AM »
+1
that victor guy is just expressing what he feels. Isn't that part of whats written in RTR, expressing your emotions with other people to come to a deeper understanding.

Prodigal son

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 06:22:53 AM »
He certainly is, what on earth was he thinking, challenging the philosopher god Molyneux in his own fiefdom,

Maybe his false self posted the message when his true self wasn't looking? That must be it. Easy to fix by adopting the recommended course of vocal admiration or silence.

IAmMe

• FDR Interested
  • Going balls out all the way!
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 07:36:12 AM »
+1
Game over for this wee laddie. That underlined section is his death by a thousand cuts.

mikef

• FDR Authority
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 09:55:06 AM »
Game over for this wee laddie. That underlined section is his death by a thousand cuts.

lol, and I didn't even think his initial post was that bad.   Seems a bit heavy-handed to me.  A lot of historical stuff that is still there is much worse (in terms of criticism of Stefan).

Probably was expected to be at least Gold level by now.  Bronze level cheapskate.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 09:57:03 AM by mikef »

X

• FDR Aware
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 11:22:31 AM »
Maybe his false self posted the message when his true self wasn't looking?

I wonder if it's possible to deFoo your false self ?

eternal bias

• FDR Aware
  • optimism is cowardice
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 10:45:48 PM »
Sounds like Stef has finally figured out that religion is the default state of humanity and that his teenage rebellious "special snowflake" atheist ideology isn't exactly great for raising children.

It's hard to be rebellious and cool when you have children depending on you.  Religion as far as I have ever been able to tell is just a human group survival strategy that keeps social groups cohesive and people from doing the very things that Stef loves to encourage young teenagers to do that is "go off an be an edgy teenage rebel dude!  Fight the power, man!" 

Without religion there's really no way to appeal to any sort of moral authority beyond "I don't like it."  So atheist "morality" quickly slides into meaningless hedonism.  As an atheist I accept that atheism has no moral baring whatsoever, but Stef isn't that kind of person.  He's always wanted order and thought (wrongly) that he could squeeze the water of morality from the stone that is atheism.  After all these years I think, probably out of necessity he has admitted his failure and gone crawling back to religion.

mikef

• FDR Authority
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2015, 02:24:19 AM »
So the moderation is widespread according to a few posters in that thread.  I'm surprised people are so sanguine about it.  I would never bother with a forum that treated it's members like that.   

Argent

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +83
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2015, 03:17:19 AM »
+1
I always found Stefan's hardline stance against religion to be a bit immature. He mostly railed against the Old Testament conception of an omnipotent god that controls the planet like a puppetmaster. Yet Christianity moved beyond that a couple millenia ago with the whole Jesus thing!

Every culture has their mythology. Even atomoic theory and Newtonian physics have already been superseded. Doesn't stop us from teaching them to children in science class, because they have utility even if they are not completely "true." I may not take the bible literally anymore, and I have to kinda wonder about adults who still do, but I learned it as a child and I'm sure New Testament morality still guides me in some ways. I'm also not sure I would want to live in a society that wasn't mostly guided by it. Compared to some alternatives, it's pretty progressive.

If he is softening his stance without speaking frankly about the change, I can understand how some of the longtime members might feel betrayed. I know from years of reading the forums that some members made drastic changes in their lives to keep in line with Stefan's hard atheism and disdain for "superstitious" people. I think I remember at least one case of a guy divorcing his wife (with whom he had kids) over church attendance. To now hear that even the person who (directly or indirectly) prompted them to make those drastic changes would no longer 100% back their choices.... would be upsetting, to say the least.

X

• FDR Aware
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2015, 10:47:06 AM »
I always found Stefan's hardline stance against religion to be a bit immature. He mostly railed against the Old Testament conception of an omnipotent god that controls the planet like a puppetmaster. Yet Christianity moved beyond that a couple millenia ago with the whole Jesus thing!

Yet it was only with the New Testament that the grotesquely malevolent notion of hell was introduced  ;D it's only with the arrival of the Jesus character in the second part of the Bible franchise that we get to torture small children in fire.

Every culture has their mythology. Even atomoic theory and Newtonian physics have already been superseded.

This seems like a non-sequitur to me ? You seem to be saying (correct me if I'm wrong), that atomic theory and Newtonian physics are rooted in mythology ?

Doesn't stop us from teaching them to children in science class, because they have utility even if they are not completely "true."

What is untrue about either of these, can you be a little more specific ?

I may not take the bible literally anymore, and I have to kinda wonder about adults who still do, but I learned it as a child and I'm sure New Testament morality still guides me in some ways. I'm also not sure I would want to live in a society that wasn't mostly guided by it.

What do you fear about a society that is not guided by your particular religion ?

If he is softening his stance without speaking frankly about the change, I can understand how some of the longtime members might feel betrayed.

I suspect all but the most blind FDR true believers can see this for what it is, an attempt to expand the audience (with obvious financial benefits) by making compromises to his otherwise inerrant world view.

I know from years of reading the forums that some members made drastic changes in their lives to keep in line with Stefan's hard atheism and disdain for "superstitious" people. I think I remember at least one case of a guy divorcing his wife (with whom he had kids) over church attendance. To now hear that even the person who (directly or indirectly) prompted them to make those drastic changes would no longer 100% back their choices.... would be upsetting, to say the least.

Absolutely, I'd expect them to be pretty angry.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 05:12:29 PM by X »

Mike_Lice

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +318
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2015, 01:15:18 PM »
+1
made a video showing what Stefan said recently and back in 2006 regarding Christians and seeing them as allies fighting the same cause against the State.

https://youtu.be/eIVE7H0AVPQ
« Last Edit: March 22, 2015, 06:22:31 PM by Mike_Lice »

X

• FDR Aware
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2015, 05:18:07 PM »
made a video showing what Stefan says recently and back in 2006 regarding Christians and seeing them as allies fighting the same cause against the State.

https://youtu.be/eIVE7H0AVPQ

;D

He's so transparent it's embarrassing.

Jim Jones

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2015, 06:55:36 AM »
One or two posters said the censorship is just a normal part of the forum. Not that I'm saying they're lying, but it's just not true.

I know for a fact that they selectively censor only SOME members past the initial phase. I specifically made posts in a few different threads that were critical of Stefan and in that very same thread I found I could no longer directly reply to anybody without my message being approved first. What's worse is that my posts are simply just not being approved at all anymore. I think 1 in the last 20 posts I've made actually "passed inspection"

They just flat-out censor anything that makes them look bad. I think the only reason the OP's final post in that thread was approved was because he had been there for awhile and he was a donor.

How unbelievably repulsive is it to try and shut the mouth of someone who has supported you both personally and financially? FDR is not a philosophy show, nor do I even want to call it a sophistry show, because at least the flawed arguments of a sophist are elegant. It is nothing more than a means to an end for "cough up the cash" Molyneux, the end being money.

Though he's always been an insufferable douche, at least when he did the early shows from his car he genuinely seemed to care about the philosophy and not the money. He's now basically pulled a bait and switch, initially interesting listeners with novel ideas on government, only to string them along until they're addicted to his centuries old recycled material. Then comes the easy part: release a new video every day or two in order to keep the gravy train going. Donations abound!

Even if you combined the work of several popular libertarians right now, Molyneux's prolific output would still eclipse them. Nobody must have ever told him that quantity does not mean quality.
"A system of morality which is based on relative emotional values is a mere illusion, a thoroughly vulgar conception which has nothing sound in it and nothing true." -Socrates

X

• FDR Aware
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2015, 07:55:52 AM »
One or two posters said the censorship is just a normal part of the forum. Not that I'm saying they're lying, but it's just not true.

I supposed the problem with any forum that's heavily moderated is that people simply don't know what is going on, I suspect that's what happens at FDR, people are banned, censored and placed on monitored status when they fall short of acceptable standards . . . . but, crucially, there are no public announcements of these interventions, from what I hear, not even the person placed on monitored status, where their posts are vetted for censorship or suppression, is aware that it's happening.