Author Topic: Stefan Molyneux finds God-ish?!  (Read 31821 times)

Mike_Lice

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +318
Stefan Molyneux finds God-ish?!
« on: March 13, 2015, 10:43:32 PM »
Interesting snippet from Stefan's latest podcast.

http://www.nullrefer.com/?https://youtu.be/n_3e1n3QL9o?t=1h17m11s

Stefan gets mad at secularists for not helping a sick person while christians did. Being an old skool FDR listener I am surprised by what Stefan says.
What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 05:18:22 AM by Mike_Lice »

X

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: +42
Re: Stefan Molyneux finds God-ish?!
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 09:42:53 PM »
+2

Jim Jones

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 05:53:04 AM »
+2
I've caught some flak for saying this before in comments but I don't think he is being genuine when he cries. He did the same thing during the Robin Williams video.

Obviously I can't know for a fact that it's a farce but he looks exactly like a B movie actor, mimicking what he sees on daytime soap operas. (Massive pauses between his words, quivering lip as if he's attempting to hold back tears).

I know it's unfair to insinuate such nefarious behavior and that I shouldn't, but I can't help myself.

Does anybody know when else he's done this?

"A system of morality which is based on relative emotional values is a mere illusion, a thoroughly vulgar conception which has nothing sound in it and nothing true." -Socrates

Mike_Lice

• FDR Wizard
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 08:18:50 AM »
+1
I find it interesting how Stefan calls the altruistic behavior of the Christians "love your enemy stuff".
I asume in Stefan's mind Christians see Atheists as enemies, yet they helped the sick man despite of him being an atheist.

From this I derive that Stefan sees the behavior of the Christians as good and its somethings atheist can learn from. We should help people in need even tho they don't share the same ideology.

Here my jaw drops because FDR principles is all about SHUNNING people who don't share the same ideology.

Is the message Stefan is sending now that, you should shun people (who dont accept an-capatalism) but when they get Cancer you should help them?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 09:09:52 AM by Mike_Lice »

marly qq

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 11:39:55 AM »
i routinely see comments like "i love your videos.... but im a christian, and why do you say this about god?" on stefan's videos. always thought it was interesting. so my first interpretation is hes trying to appease the market

jolly_roger

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 02:28:56 PM »
+1
I know it's unfair to insinuate such nefarious behavior and that I shouldn't, but I can't help myself.

Nope, I think you're spot on.
Even at the height of my involvement in FDR, I thought the crying was suspicious.
The timing was just a little too convenient, and he graduated acting school - crying on command is just one of the tricks of the trade that you have to learn there.

And thinking about it now I can see more suspicious things.
Whenever I, or anyone I knew personally, cried, it was because something struck a personal chord, while with Stefan it seems to be happening when he's talking about abstracts.
When I cry while talking about something, it completely derails my train of thought, and I need to take a few minutes to compose myself. This has never happened to Stefan, and curiously his crying always only aided him in making a point.

Does anybody know when else he's done this?

I can't name the podcasts, but it has a long tradition at FDR.
I think around 2010-ish there was a podcast about the Iraq war where he ended up crying, at least I remember talking about it with fellow FDRers at the time.

Then there was one, when he was talking about his decision to go full time with FDR.
Again, don't know the title, but I think there's an excerpt on Tru Shibes.

Not sure if this interests you as well, but I also remember an instance of what sounded like very fake laughing. It was on one of the Jennyism podcasts (646, or 647, it was a two-parter).

i2aymond

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2015, 03:34:14 PM »
Crying on camera, and having a donation based business model like Stefan's, is extremely manipulative even if he has the ethical fortitude of an angel.

Mike_Lice

• FDR Wizard
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2015, 03:46:12 PM »
Another great snippet, Stefan is admiring Christians for giving 10% of their income to the church while he is "begging for scraps" on the Internet.

http://www.nullrefer.com/?https://youtu.be/n_3e1n3QL9o?t=55m49s
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 03:48:35 PM by Mike_Lice »

Prodigal son

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 06:36:57 AM »
Another great snippet, Stefan is admiring Christians for giving 10% of their income to the church while he is "begging for scraps" on the Internet.

And I think that's precisely the reason for this Damascene moment - that and expanding the recruitment base. I reckon it's pretty abject from a moral standpoint, but I think Stefan's fierce admiration for Rand allows him to frame any successful profit seeking venture as a moral action providing he doesn't use any too much force.

Elucidated

• Kallipolis Agitator
  • FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +213
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2015, 09:07:03 AM »
Well watching that just explained to me why he's a failed actor.

Surprising that he not only has a friend, but a friend with a father. Moreover he feels emotion for the plight of that father.  :o

money detonator

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +769
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2015, 10:35:11 AM »
+2
He forgot his old stern warning about how Christians really want him dead.  He also warns Christians to stop listening to Freedomain Radio pronto:

« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 10:43:31 AM by money detonator »

QuestEon

• Just some guy with a blog.
  • Administrator
  • FDR Wizard
  • What's your opinion? I'd love to hear it!
  • Respect: +463
    • FDR Liberated
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2015, 10:58:52 AM »
+1
He forgot his old stern warning about how Christians really want him dead.  He also warns Christians to stop listening to Freedomain Radio pronto:

Oopsie!  Winston forgot to shove that one down the memory hole, I guess.
It isn't about winning the debate. It's about the truth.

Mike_Lice

• FDR Wizard
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 12:31:22 PM »

I wonder what 2005 Stefan would think of 2015 Stefan?

Elucidated

• Kallipolis Agitator
  • FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +213
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2015, 01:45:00 PM »

I wonder what 2005 Stefan would think of 2015 Stefan?
I think 2005 Stefan would be quite pleased with the level of fame and fortune he has now achieved, he wouldn't care about the rest.

Prodigal son

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2015, 07:43:22 PM »
+1
I noticed a post on the FDR boards that was critical (gasp) of Molyneux's sudden change of heart in relation to religion:

http://nullrefer.com/?https://board.freedomainradio.com/topic/43639-fdr2927-reaction-on-me/?p=398989

This is a long-time member so I think it carries some weight, although unsurprisingly it was largely ignored.
It got me thinking, perhaps the uptick in activity here in recent days is somehow related to this issue? And, more seriously, since one of the reasons Molyneux has used to convince members to dissociate from friends and family is that the people in question have religious beliefs that they refuse to relinquish, this kind of turnaround could be deeply disruptive if anyone within the cult actually dares to think about it objectively. Are we about to see a renewed exodus of historic Teeb?