Author Topic: Have you had problems registering for this forum?  (Read 5027 times)

QuestEon

• Just some guy with a blog.
  • Administrator
  • FDR Wizard
  • What's your opinion? I'd love to hear it!
  • Respect: +463
    • FDR Liberated
Have you had problems registering for this forum?
« on: March 21, 2015, 04:04:28 PM »
On sunny days, here is how the registration for this forum is supposed to work:

You sign up with your name, password, and legitimate email address. You respond to an email confirmation sent to that address. And you're done! I think you still need to answer a CAPTCHA security question for your first couple of posts, then you're done with that as well.

If you don't get a confirmation email pretty quickly, either in your inbox or junk folder, then something went wrong.

Registration problems from 12-2014 through 03-2015

Many people found it difficult/impossible to register for this forum during the above months. I was dealing with a massive spam attack that I didn't have the time or expertise to deal with. So for most of that time, I had to close the forum to new registrations.

I have now installed several anti-spam mods that seem to be working well. They compare the visitors here to databases of known spammers and lock out the pests. If you are a bot, trying to register for known spam IP, or trying to register with a known spam email address, you are locked out.

These mods are new to me but I know they have been used successfully for years on other forums. Therefore, I don't anticipate any problems.

If you do encounter any, please let me know. I want this forum to be fun, easy, and friendly for all who use it!

Thanks!
It isn't about winning the debate. It's about the truth.

X

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: +42
Re: Have you had problems registering for this forum?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2015, 05:33:32 PM »
+2
"Have you had problems registering for this forum?"

I love the idea of asking people who might not be able to register (and gain access to posting) whether they have had problems registering for the the forum . . . . on the forum itself  ;) :D

Let's also do a head count of people with congenital mutism . . .  anyone suffering this condition say 'aye'. Lol.

QuestEon

• Just some guy with a blog.
  • Administrator
  • FDR Wizard
  • What's your opinion? I'd love to hear it!
  • Respect: +463
    • FDR Liberated
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2015, 05:41:04 PM »
"Have you had problems registering for this forum?"

I love the idea of asking people who might not be able to register (and gain access to posting) whether they have had problems registering for the the forum . . . . on the forum itself  ;) :D

Let's also do a head count of people with congenital mutism . . .  anyone suffering this condition say 'aye'. Lol.

There is an open board. Anyone can post there.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2015, 06:02:14 PM by QuestEon »
It isn't about winning the debate. It's about the truth.

X

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2015, 07:43:16 PM »
+3
There is an open board. Anyone can post there.

Yep, I thought you'd post it there instead of here where those people cannot reply.

solidpizza

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 09:55:20 PM »
+2
Verified: guests cannot post here. I agree that it would be better to post this question were guests can reply.

evidence: (hehe)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 10:15:44 PM by solidpizza »

L

• FDR Interested
  • An Observer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 10:35:57 PM »
Gmailed spam filtered the verification email. Gmail is usually quite good at not doing this so it took a while for me to realise what was going on.

theVerdantONE

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 09:03:14 PM »
Gmailed spam filtered the verification email. Gmail is usually quite good at not doing this so it took a while for me to realise what was going on.

Same. It might be useful to add a note to the registration form indicating that the verification email may end up in the spam folder.