Author Topic: Recovered Memory Syndrome: article and new book  (Read 4143 times)

Prodigal son

Recovered Memory Syndrome: article and new book
« on: February 10, 2014, 02:43:21 AM »
+1
This article makes tragically familiar reading. Some of the stories related in the article are chilling beyond words and it is exactly the same strategy employed by Mr Molyneux to finance his comfortable lifestyle. After skillfully (and for all I know unintentionally or, rather, unconsciously) implanting the seeds of suspicion (actually, in the early days he not only planted seeds: he tended and nourished the saplings over several years until they had rooted firmly and started to flourish), he then urges people towards the highly questionable benefits and outcomes of therapy. I suspect the popularity of RMT has declined lately, but it's not hard to imagine that even a diligent therapist, if lacking a firm grasp of the advice that preceded the counselling sessions and its context, would tend to take confident claims by the analysand at face value and even if suspicious, might tend to suppress any doubts due to (and I'm guessing here) the risk of an accusation of superficiality or even criminal neglect in the case of the most serious claims and the awareness that any attempt to downplay such claims or challenge them would be likely to result in a walk-out with or without door-slam.
That's why I oppose Mr Molyneux. I don't care whether or not his free society works or that UPB is a load of codswallop. I don't even care about his arrogance and condescension. He needs to pull all those RMT-based podcasts and issue a public statement of apology, urging those who have cut off from their families on the basis of his advice to reassess their position because he provided them with false information.

The article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2555392/The-women-brainwashed-therapists-believe-parents-abused-them.html

Disillusioned

• FDR Authority
  • Respect: +243
Re: Recovered Memory Syndrome: article and new book
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 12:55:40 PM »
+1
This article makes tragically familiar reading. Some of the stories related in the article are chilling beyond words and it is exactly the same strategy employed by Mr Molyneux to finance his comfortable lifestyle.

Thanks for sharing this article. I can see the similarities to what goes on at FDR. I don't think I had any false memories come up when I was involved with the group, but I felt pretty angry with my parents before FDR, so maybe that wasn't necessary for me. For this type of manipulation to occur, the victims are usually put in a trance-like state. That, I think, is much more difficult to accomplish when you're not in the room with someone. However, I wonder if just the hours upon hours of listening to the podcasts would put someone in a trance-like state.

He definitely primes people to look into their childhoods for abuse as the answer to any struggles or problems they might face in life. If your hero/mentor and a bunch of your peers keep insisting that your problems were caused by your parents, and you can't remember any abuse, you might just assume you've blocked the abuse from your conscious memory. When you do blame your parents for your problems in that group, you're praised and encouraged, which also socially incentivizes people to make up abuse.

As a matter of fact, I think I did delve a little into false-memory territory. The mecosystem and IFS therapy encourage to you talk to different "parts" of your consciousness. There was a strong insistence at FDR that our parts hold wisdom and we need to talk to them to build trust to become a whole person. The parts were fragmented by trauma, so all us damaged folk need to work really hard to bring ourselves back together. In trying to figure out why I had a panic reaction to people gagging or getting sick, I asked a part of me why it was so afraid, and it showed me an image of my parents throwing up when I was too young to remember. I'm pretty sure that isn't a real memory, just my imagination providing an answer to a question.

If anyone has some time, it would be great to find podcasts or videos where SM can be heard encouraging people to remember abuse. Off the top of my head, the infamous Tom podcast has some of that, and the clip of Christina admitting that she firmly believed she had a happy childhood before Molyneux came around comes to mind. I think Ex-PK on this forum also said he lied about abuse. Did any other ex-members lie about their childhood, or build up false memories?
“I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong.”
― Richard Feynman

Token Nazi

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 02:54:59 AM »
"The decay of Sense in men waking, is not the decay of the motion made in sense; but an obscuring of it, in such manner, as the light of the Sun obscureth the light of the Starres... ... But when we would express the Decay, and signifie that the Sense is fading, old, and past, it is called Memory. So that Imagination and Memory, are but one thing, which for divers considerations hath divers names."

megi

• FDR Authority
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 04:00:22 AM »
+1
I did definitely build up false memories by combining various fading memory fragments and aligning them with what Stef said about how world works. I have hard time remembering my childhood, which helped the re-imagination of it to fit the paradigm.

I'm entirely sure I would come to different meaning of my childhood, had I not been listening to FDR, and accepting beliefs like:

- parental behavior is almost certainly the source of my relationship issues
- i know all about my parents' motivations simply by imagining them (anyone remembers role plays Stefan did with listeners, where the listener played their parent's role?)
- self-knowledge about my history is super important for the resolution, lack of repetition o my history
- association with strong emotion validates past memories (Stef fishing constantly for emotional repsonse, vulnerability... during the call-ins)

AnonymousHuman

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: +5
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 03:30:26 PM »
Memory is incredibly fallible.  This is a great podcast on it.  Radiolab is so awesome, BTW, for anyone who likes science.

http://www.radiolab.org/story/91569-memory-and-forgetting/

Elucidated

• Kallipolis Agitator
  • FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +217
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 04:06:09 PM »
This is an old thread I know but I just came across this TED video which is worth a watch. "Memory is like a Wikipedia page, you can add to it and change it but so can others"

https://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_loftus_the_fiction_of_memory

Elvis_left_the_building

• FDR Enlightened
  • Lewd and raunchy freethinker
  • Respect: +21
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 09:23:43 PM »
+1
I remember all the bad moments of my childhood before the time with Stefbot. Interesting how you were influenced while vulnerable and dependend.  :(