Author Topic: Now the flat-earther is running for Canadian Parliament.  (Read 2943 times)

Dr. Elvis H. Christ

You just can't make up stuff like this.  Not that I expect he'll get very far, but really?

http://dollarvigilante.com/blog/2015/5/13/jeff-berwick-announces-candidacy-for-upcoming-canadian-elect.html

Mike_Lice

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +318
Re: Now the flat-earther is running for Canadian Parliament.
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2015, 08:40:12 AM »
You just can't make up stuff like this.  Not that I expect he'll get very far, but really?

http://dollarvigilante.com/blog/2015/5/13/jeff-berwick-announces-candidacy-for-upcoming-canadian-elect.html

"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain"

Mike_Lice

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +318
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 04:15:24 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47Ha1VYJELs

Berwick was interviewed on Free Talk Live, talking about him running for Parliament.

mikef

• FDR Authority
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2015, 07:04:55 AM »
Hmmm, doesn't seem like his style.   Obviously he won't win but I assume there is some kind of reasoning behind it???   

Is he thinking he is going to be like Ron Paul or something?

Loner

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 07:54:46 AM »
  He says that he thinks he has a real chance of winning. That can only be one of two things...
he is delusional or he is not being honest.
  As for entertaining the idea of Flat Earth, that is a rarity. But I don't see it as being more laughable than the more commonly accepted religious views of most politicians.

Prodigal son

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2015, 01:11:50 PM »
I'd say good for him if he's standing for office. I suppose he's unlikely to go too far, but I think it's good for there to be a range of views in the political spectrum broadening the debate. I can't see any harm in it whatsoever. Takes courage too - if any outsider in the political arena starts attracting positive attention from voters the Great and Mighty always unleash their hounds. 

Anyway, he's clearly a hemp man and is likely to be too stoned to do any harm. I wish all our politicians were like that, then we could get on with our lives in peace.

Edit after a few minutes reflection: silly me, Berwick just self-detonated by endorsing a genuine flat-earther in public. I think that's an unrecoverable error. These ideas are so far beyond the boundaries of accepted dogma that they simply cannot coexist at present. Pity, methinks.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 01:18:54 PM by Prodigal son »

Stink Insurance

• FDR Aware
  • You're gonna need some
  • Respect: +32
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2015, 02:17:31 PM »
You do have to wonder what goes through his mind. He makes a decision to run for office to promote libertarianism, then makes a podcast entertaining the idea of flat earth theories.

Ron Paul had some bad stuff in some newsletters a while ago and he was drawn through the hot coals for it, suddenly libertarianism became synonymous with racism in the mainstream eyes, imagine the harm Berwick will do to the libertarian cause if he makes a serious run for office and people publicize the flat earth stuff. Suddenly it's "those crazy libertarians who think the earth is flat" and any rational libertarian will now have to fend off accusations of being a flat earther.

Prodigal son

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2015, 02:34:21 PM »
Suddenly it's "those crazy libertarians who think the earth is flat" and any rational libertarian will now have to fend off accusations of being a flat earther.

That's guaranteed. Let's face it, it's gonna happen anyway and it always happens to any popular movement that could shift the status quo. If it's not flat earthers it will be crazy cults and so forth. There is an endless number of strawmen available to sophisiticated political operators to ridicule dissenting populist views (though I think people are wising up to their methods these days - the Internet is spreading some good information).

No worries: in the UK our current big cheese has bracketed non-violent extremism, referencing 9/11 and 7/7 truthers specifically, together with ISIS, claiming they are just as dangerous as terrorism and must be eradicated using all means at the government’s disposal. If this is a reflection of trends in Canada and elsewhere the police will soon be able to protect the electorate from the likes of Berwick... if the media don't get him first.