Author Topic: Origin of your Profile Image  (Read 3179 times)

Elvis_left_the_building

• FDR Enlightened
  • Lewd and raunchy freethinker
  • Respect: +21
Origin of your Profile Image
« on: May 29, 2015, 03:44:57 PM »
Hey folks, I could not resist to use one of Holy Moly's video thumbnail as a profile image. What's the story behind your profile images?  ;D

Elucidated

• Kallipolis Agitator
  • FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +204
Re: Origin of your Profile Image
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 04:52:27 PM »
Mine is Christina Aguilera, it was one of the choices from the forum when I joined. I chose it because of her song, 'Fighter' which has a particular meaning for me. :)

QuestEon

• Just some guy with a blog.
  • Administrator
  • FDR Wizard
  • What's your opinion? I'd love to hear it!
  • Respect: +444
    • FDR Liberated
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 10:36:28 AM »
+3
True tales of my avatar
by QuestEon

1. My first avatar was the second-biggest threat to the existence of the Liberating Minds forum.

Everyone knows the story about how Molyneux tried to shut down LiMi. But I almost brought the forum down, too--all because of my avatar.

I was searching for quest-eon mark images and found a picture of the Riddler from an old Batman TV series. I liked it because he looked (to me) like he was taunting Molyneux. Normally, I would have changed the avatar several times after that. I usually do.

But, out of nowhere, this weird guy suddenly showed up and started threatening lawsuits due to our "commercial" use of an image he somehow had the rights to. So then I had to keep it, of course. Unfortunately, it became clear he was going to go after LiMi and not just me. It was hilarious and bizarre but he really would have gone to court over it.

He shows up making threats on the first page of this thread (he later deleted his account, so he appears as "Guest")...

FDR Liberated has a new, permanent home

...and the story concludes in this thread...

Copyright crap

I loved it!

(I still use the image to this day in a sneaky way that no one has ever noticed.)

2. My second avatar continues to taunt Molyneux.

So, after that episode, I tried to think of a new way to be annoying.

It's pretty well-known (but not to FDR True Believers) that most of Molyneux's stolen, unattributed ideas actually belong to Murray Rothbard. Therefore, I photoshopped my avatar from this photo as a continual taunt.

I wound up using it permanently, except for the brief period when we were all sock puppets here.

Why did I choose a picture of an unclothed Rothbard? Simple. It's because I've written every post and article on FDR Liberated completely butt-naked!

(Kidding, but now you can't mentally un-see that. Ha ha!)

3. Bonus image fact: My banner is Molyneux's forehead.

The banner for the forum was graciously contributed by Verdire. However, on the blog side, the banner is an enlarged clip of Molyneux's forehead taken from one of his promo photos. That still tickles me because I am easily amused.

So now you know.

Who's next?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 11:29:25 AM by QuestEon »
It isn't about winning the debate. It's about the truth.

mikef

• FDR Authority
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 10:57:47 AM »
I used to use an avatar when I signed up on forums.  This was in the days when I was trying to figure out some cool unique name as well that I could use.   Mostly I just can't be bothered these days.   I know it's kind of lazy but...

QuestEon

• Just some guy with a blog.
  • Administrator
  • FDR Wizard
  • What's your opinion? I'd love to hear it!
  • Respect: +444
    • FDR Liberated
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2015, 01:03:23 PM »
Yes, but Molyneux is no Batman by any means.  As I posted once before he fits the profile of Egghead almost perfectly.

http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Egghead

That's hilarious and spot-on! We need someone to do a new book cover for "Universally Egg-cellent Behavior"!
It isn't about winning the debate. It's about the truth.

Prodigal son

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 05:39:47 PM »
Mine is a 14th century painting by Andrea di Vanni d'Andrea of Sienna. I  chose it because at the time I was exploring the church and, in particular, the role of black people in the church, since I came to understand that in the creation story, if we are to square it with science and history, Adam was surely a black man and (departing here even more from what is told in school) Eve was white.

It seemed to me that this painting shows a black Saint Peter, but I haven't been able to find any confirmation of ethnicity. It's probably a likeness of the artist himself, but almost all of his other paintings show pale skinned folks.

Anyway, I love the painting with its combination of Gothic formality and Clint Eastwood stare.
I think it's a bit presumptuous to use it as an avatar and people might think I'm a stern moralist and a good man like the depicted saint, so I'm on the lookout for a replacement (although the artist himself was also involved in politics and had political connections with Sicily, so I'm guessing he wasn't quite as holy as his subjects).