Author Topic: Simplistic Usage of the Word "Equal" in the Media  (Read 3103 times)

Gyzyn

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: +4
Simplistic Usage of the Word "Equal" in the Media
« on: June 09, 2015, 04:20:43 PM »
Hi there!

The reason why I decided to start a topic like that is because of a discussion that I had recently with someone whose language made me confused. I don't want to bring up the details, but I'll try my best to explain what happened. Basically, the guy/gal said:

"if every single movie about your gender that gets attention is about a young woman overcoming discrimination then that means the Academy still can't get over the fact that women aren't equal"

At first I couldn't understand what he/she was trying to say. I believe men and women to be equal, as in having the same value, and the person I was talking with believed so as well. Later, when surfing the web, I found out what that person meant by equal. Believe it or not, I never felt the need to read mainstream articles with catchy headlines and used other sources to get my info, therefore, it's not often that I come across such language.

Getting to the point, I think that many articles, with headlines saying that women, or *insert any racial minority* are not equal, are using reductionist language. What are your thoughts on this?   

« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 04:22:22 PM by Gyzyn »

Koop

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: +28
Re: Simplistic Usage of the Word "Equal" in the Media
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 05:47:56 PM »
I believe men and women to be equal, as in having the same value

What does that mean, what does 'value' mean in this context ?

I think that many articles, with headlines saying that women, or *insert any racial minority* are not equal, are using reductionist language. What are your thoughts on this?   

What would be the correct (non-reductionist) language ?

Gyzyn

• FDR Interested
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 06:42:32 PM »
+1
I believe men and women to be equal, as in having the same value

What does that mean, what does 'value' mean in this context ?

I think that many articles, with headlines saying that women, or *insert any racial minority* are not equal, are using reductionist language. What are your thoughts on this?   

What would be the correct (non-reductionist) language ?

Hey.

I'm sorry I took my time responding, but... I lost someone close recently... Let's just leave it at that, okay?

Well, to answer your first question, value in this context means relative worth and importance.

And to answer your second question, there really isn't such a thing as correct language, unless we're talking about grammar and orthography, but there's definitely such a thing as suitability, fitness of language. I wasn't talking about any particular example, but I think that the titles should be more concrete, less click-bait-like.

Hi there!

I believe men and women to be equal, as in having the same value, and the person I was talking with believed so as well. Later, when surfing the web, I found out what that person meant by equal.

Getting to the point, I think that many articles, with headlines saying that women, or *insert any racial minority* are not equal, are using reductionist language. What are your thoughts on this?   

I hate this nonsense about "equality'.  There is no such thing.  Men and women are not equal nor unequal, just different.  In the original political sense "equal" was meant that there were no special privileged classes or oppressed underclasses (which in reality wasn't and still isn't true in so many cases).  At some point the word was corrupted to mean other things to fit into some groups political agenda.

I agree. I don't really use that word in such context, but I often get confused when someone does.

Koop

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 05:24:35 AM »

Do you have any examples of what you mean, a link to an article or headline displaying the kind of thing you are talking about ?

. . . there really isn't such a thing as correct language, unless we're talking about grammar and orthography, but there's definitely such a thing as suitability, fitness of language . . .

What do you think would be more suitable language ?

Gyzyn

• FDR Interested
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 06:27:20 PM »
Do you have any examples of what you mean, a link to an article or headline displaying the kind of thing you are talking about ?

You can just google "women are not equal" and get plenty of examples, but since you've asked, here you go:
http://www.mtv.com/news/2099261/women-not-there/
(First result)

What do you think would be more suitable language?

Like I've said before, something more concrete, specific, elaborated. I can't really come up with a better title to the article linked above because the article itself is so simplistic and vague that I got the impression that the author herself didn't really know what she wanted to write about. Not to mention the bit about facebook's profile picture activism... I burst out laughing, couldn't help it.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 06:31:46 PM by Gyzyn »