Author Topic: Is Molyneux just another con man or does he really believe he's a philosopher?  (Read 2230 times)

Bhez7

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: +12
"You look back in time it's going to be Stef and everyone else in terms of philosophy no one is even close"

Haha dude name one idea that Stefan has had that wasn't ripped straight out of the works of other philosphers and repackaged, or that isn't completely nonsensical. You think he's amazing because you haven't been exposed to the kinds of ideas he talks about and because you can't see how he manipulates statistics and selectively chooses his information to build the sense that his ideology is 'rational'.

There's a reason nobody takes him seriously as a philosopher outside of youtube and no, it isn't because he's too advanced or because there's an anti-Molyneux conspiracy.

Kronze21

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +1
You can hate all you want but the fact is Stef is the most popular philosopher out there.  Perhaps him spreading phisophy in an interesting way is his mark on philosophy  and why he truly is one of the greats like him or not.

"You look back in time it's going to be Stef and everyone else in terms of philosophy no one is even close"

Haha dude name one idea that Stefan has had that wasn't ripped straight out of the works of other philosphers and repackaged, or that isn't completely nonsensical. You think he's amazing because you haven't been exposed to the kinds of ideas he talks about and because you can't see how he manipulates statistics and selectively chooses his information to build the sense that his ideology is 'rational'.

There's a reason nobody takes him seriously as a philosopher outside of youtube and no, it isn't because he's too advanced or because there's an anti-Molyneux conspiracy.

Faith

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: +5
What makes Stef a philosopher? He's a self-described philosopher, isn't he? I've listened to him (for as long as I could stand to)and I have yet to hear anything logical come out of his mouth.
There is an old saying "actions speak louder than words" and all you need to do is look at Stefs actions to see what type of person he really is.
He's proven himself to be an unethical, lying , abusive bully by his own actions.
Did you know he actually writes fake comments using fake identities to reply to his own posts?  Then he answers his own comments. He was caught doing this once, but I believe he probably does this constantly. What sort of person does this? 
Knowing what I know about his inner group of supporters, I can tell you these are all highly unethical people, brainwashed morons who are even willing to commit crimes for their "cause".

Lupus

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: +31
You can hate all you want but the fact is Stef is the most popular philosopher out there.

Out where ? On Youtube ?

No one in actual philosophical circles takes him seriously, his work has been routinely rejected by serious book publishers (forcing him to self-publish because his work doesn't pass selection criteria), no philosophical, scientific or literary journels accept his work, he's not consulted by industry, education, NGOs (etc) . . . . in what way is he 'the most popular' ?

And no, there's not a grand conspiracy against right-wing writers in publishing as Molyneux might have you believe, plenty of writers on the right do very well, are courted by publishers and have a sizeable audience, Anne Coulter - for example - has for decades seen her books top the bestsellers lists.

Like I say, the only thing I imagine you are judging him by is Youtube popularity (?), even here he's far from the largest or most popular philosophy show . . . .

A quick example would be the School of Life philosophy channel, 3.6 million subscribers (compared to Molyneux's 796,000) and 328 million views (compared to Molyneux's 246M) . . . . that's not to say Molyneux doesn't have an audience, in fact he does very well, but he's a long long way off being the most popular.

But I'd say a larger issue with him would be that a lot, if not the overwhelming majority, of what he does has little or nothing to do with philosophy, if we are going to judge the endless political and social commentary and personal opinion as 'philosophy', then Molyneux is a philosopher in the same way that Alex Jones is a philosopher or the Young Turks are philosophers.

In reality Molyneux is a Youtube blogger who discusses his views and opinions on politics and society, he attempts to inject a philosophical 'spin' into the proceedings, but this is rarely robust or even meaningful, the majority of the time his main tool is not philosophy but a kind of light-entertainment-jocular-humour, in-jokes and references with his audience and breeding a sense of us-against-them to encourage group think within his audience.

Actual facts, Molyneux runs the 24,491st most popular Youtube channel (SocialBlade rankings July 2018), his channel popularity is slowly tapering off from a Trump-election / post-election high, that's not to say it cannot pick up again, but as it stands there are not hundreds or thousands, but tens of thousands of more popular channels on Youtube.

Kronze21

• FDR Enlightened
Sounds like the brainwashed moron is you. Just because you don't like what he says doesn't make him a liar or a bully. Nor does it mean he's not saying something logical.

This is the definition of philosophy.  I believe he fulfils it adequately.

philosopher (n.)
from Old English philosophe, from Latin philosophus "philosopher," from Greek philosophos "philosopher, sage, one who speculates on the nature of things and truth," literally "lover of wisdom," from philos "loving" (see -phile) + sophos "wise, a sage" (see sophist). Modern form with -r appears early 14c., from an Anglo-French or Old French variant of philosophe, with an agent-noun ending.

Here's another definition.  If you're one of those people who think he's a cult leader.  This definition is for you.

philosopher
noun
a student, teacher, or devotee of philosophy
a person of philosophical temperament, esp one who is patient, wise, and stoical
(formerly) an alchemist or devotee of occult science
a person who establishes the ideology of a cult or movement the philosopher of the revolution

I honestly could care less.  It's a little weird but I don't have a problem with weird people.

Just sounds like your jealious  he has loyal supporters and you dont.

What makes Stef a philosopher? He's a self-described philosopher, isn't he? I've listened to him (for as long as I could stand to)and I have yet to hear anything logical come out of his mouth.
There is an old saying "actions speak louder than words" and all you need to do is look at Stefs actions to see what type of person he really is.
He's proven himself to be an unethical, lying , abusive bully by his own actions.
Did you know he actually writes fake comments using fake identities to reply to his own posts?  Then he answers his own comments. He was caught doing this once, but I believe he probably does this constantly. What sort of person does this? 
Knowing what I know about his inner group of supporters, I can tell you these are all highly unethical people, brainwashed morons who are even willing to commit crimes for their "cause".

Lupus

• FDR Aware
Sounds like the brainwashed moron is you.

Not an argument.

one who speculates on the nature of things and truth

Molyneux tends towards talking in absolutes, he rarely speculates (if at all). So I'd say he doesn't meet that definition.

Not an argument.

Kronze21

• FDR Enlightened
All over

His peers are clearly jealous.  People prefer Stef to him.

Prove this show is philosophy.

Different styles of philosophy. He's clearly not your
style and that's fine.

Okay so your mad he's good at making his shows entertaining for his audience and pointing out the problems in society and those who are part of the problem.  theres not a person alive who doesn't have "group think".  In one way or another because that's how the world works.

Amazing without all the hate, slander and propaganda against Stef he still has the audience he does.  That's an accomplishment in itself.

You can hate all you want but the fact is Stef is the most popular philosopher out there.

Out where ? On Youtube ?

No one in actual philosophical circles takes him seriously, his work has been routinely rejected by serious book publishers (forcing him to self-publish because his work doesn't pass selection criteria), no philosophical, scientific or literary journels accept his work, he's not consulted by industry, education, NGOs (etc) . . . . in what way is he 'the most popular' ?

And no, there's not a grand conspiracy against right-wing writers in publishing as Molyneux might have you believe, plenty of writers on the right do very well, are courted by publishers and have a sizeable audience, Anne Coulter - for example - has for decades seen her books top the bestsellers lists.

Like I say, the only thing I imagine you are judging him by is Youtube popularity (?), even here he's far from the largest or most popular philosophy show . . . .

A quick example would be the School of Life philosophy channel, 3.6 million subscribers (compared to Molyneux's 796,000) and 328 million views (compared to Molyneux's 246M) . . . . that's not to say Molyneux doesn't have an audience, in fact he does very well, but he's a long long way off being the most popular.

But I'd say a larger issue with him would be that a lot, if not the overwhelming majority, of what he does has little or nothing to do with philosophy, if we are going to judge the endless political and social commentary and personal opinion as 'philosophy', then Molyneux is a philosopher in the same way that Alex Jones is a philosopher or the Young Turks are philosophers.

In reality Molyneux is a Youtube blogger who discusses his views and opinions on politics and society, he attempts to inject a philosophical 'spin' into the proceedings, but this is rarely robust or even meaningful, the majority of the time his main tool is not philosophy but a kind of light-entertainment-jocular-humour, in-jokes and references with his audience and breeding a sense of us-against-them to encourage group think within his audience.

Actual facts, Molyneux runs the 24,491st most popular Youtube channel (SocialBlade rankings July 2018), his channel popularity is slowly tapering off from a Trump-election / post-election high, that's not to say it cannot pick up again, but as it stands there are not hundreds or thousands, but tens of thousands of more popular channels on Youtube.

Kronze21

• FDR Enlightened
😂😂😂True but neither is insulting Stef's supporters.

That may be your view point but I disagree.  In other words he's a philosopher.  You Just don't want to admit it.

Sounds like the brainwashed moron is you.

Not an argument.

one who speculates on the nature of things and truth

Molyneux tends towards talking in absolutes, he rarely speculates (if at all). So I'd say he doesn't meet that definition.

Not an argument.

Faith

• FDR Interested
Kronz21
Why do you call me brainwashed? What do you assume I'm brainwashed about?
That seems an odd comment for you to make about me...or do you think everyone who doesn't think Stef is the greatest thing since sliced bread brainwashed?
Lol.
If someone has a different opinion than you it doesn't mean they are brainwashed. Stef's followers are brainwashed because they don't have their own opinions or think for themselves anymore. They believe his faulty login without questioning it.

Lupus

• FDR Aware
In other words he's a philosopher.  You Just don't want to admit it.

Not an argument.

Brainpolice2

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +91
This is a question I have asked myself before. I think it might be some combination of personal self-delusion and being a con man. There are too many red flags in the facts about Molyneux for him to not be taken as something of a con man. That's why I think it's a travesty that he's actually risen to be something of a more known celebrity now. Before he was a con man with a loose and small online network, now he's a con man who is an international B list celebrity. Like a televangelist, except a televangelist for racism and the far right.

Bhez7

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: +12
Kronze you are seriously emotionally invested in Molyneux. I hope you can move past his sophistry and manipulation one day. You've commented on so many threads recently without actually mustering any kind of defense and responding in a clearly emotional manner.

money detonator

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +747
This is a question I have asked myself before. I think it might be some combination of personal self-delusion and being a con man. There are too many red flags in the facts about Molyneux for him to not be taken as something of a con man. That's why I think it's a travesty that he's actually risen to be something of a more known celebrity now. Before he was a con man with a loose and small online network, now he's a con man who is an international B list celebrity. Like a televangelist, except a televangelist for racism and the far right.

For someone who has been at it more than fulltime every day for over 10 years, he hasn't really gotten far.  Even those that started their Internet celebrity careers relatively recently, and relatively unknown when a guest on his show, have surpassed him quite quickly.  For instance Lauren Southern, has appeared on Fox News.  Jordan Peterson has been on many major network news and talk shows.  These days, Molyneux's YT videos aren't getting any more clicks than before.  The ones that get attention are when the topic is him speaking with or about a White Nationalist or alt-right celebrity.  He doesn't seem to be able to generate much interest in himself anymore (i.e. just him yapping on about the end of the world or about how he wants money for his birthday).

Other YT personalities like Sam Seder can now be seen on MSNBC sometimes as a guest.  Sam Harris has been a guest on talk shows like Bill Maher.

Molyneux didn't seem to make it past a couple of appearances on Joe Rogan's podcast.  LOL   ;D ;D ;D  He's more like D list.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 02:36:55 PM by money detonator »

Faith

• FDR Interested
Maybe that's because when Stef is questioned by an intelligent person, his entire argument just falls apart. When you get past his bullying techniques, you see he has no substance.
As a side note - I just recently found a website about DFOOing and it's absolutely bizarre!  I'm not sure if it's legit or satire. Stef has a bio on this site where he described himself as the world's greatest philosopher....I had quite a laugh over that one. Lol..I'm reminded of another cult leader Raniere , who described himself as the world's smartest man. Raniere also boasted of many other achievements,  all of which were proved false.

Brainpolice2

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +91

For someone who has been at it more than fulltime every day for over 10 years, he hasn't really gotten far.  Even those that started their Internet celebrity careers relatively recently, and relatively unknown when a guest on his show, have surpassed him quite quickly.  For instance Lauren Southern, has appeared on Fox News.  Jordan Peterson has been on many major network news and talk shows.  These days, Molyneux's YT videos aren't getting any more clicks than before.  The ones that get attention are when the topic is him speaking with or about a White Nationalist or alt-right celebrity.  He doesn't seem to be able to generate much interest in himself anymore (i.e. just him yapping on about the end of the world or about how he wants money for his birthday).

Other YT personalities like Sam Seder can now be seen on MSNBC sometimes as a guest.  Sam Harris has been a guest on talk shows like Bill Maher.

Molyneux didn't seem to make it past a couple of appearances on Joe Rogan's podcast.  LOL   ;D ;D ;D  He's more like D list.

Yea, in grand perspective, he's not that huge. But he's still definitely way bigger than when I initially was involved. When I started hearing him be mentioned by friends from outside the libertarian community, and saw the level of YouTube following he eventually developed, it definitely signified a bigger status than before.

I remember the "red background" and "car ride rant" video days when it was much less professionally presented. The first 2 years or so of videos were more like unorganized webcam rants with a clever title, and his forum was like a smaller, more specific, more atheist alternative to the Mises Institute forums (which have no longer existed for some years now) that many of the same usual suspects would show up on.

The original FDR community was significantly made up of a group of online libertarian bloggers and vloggers who were fairly familiar with each other. It was simply a smaller and tighter circle then, when it came to the "intellectually active" online libertarian circles.

I was also part of that early Youtube community of political and philosophical Vloggers who would do rant and debate videos, and show up on message boards. At first, Molyneux really was more like another one of those (an amateur vlogger and blogger tied to the online libertarian community), just like the rest of us, except he had his own website and forum to draw people to and a product to sell. As YouTube became more professionally oriented and he got more money, he upped the presentation quality and turned it into more of a formatted propaganda channel, and he got a flood of new supporters with the alt-right turn.

In perspective, there was a wave of people who got into libertarianism in general during the Bush Jr. era, and that was what made me aware of Molyneux pretty early on. Since then, there is an even larger wave of Millenials, and more broadly what I call "celebritarians", who have gotten into libertarianism. There's a lot of "me tooism" and "scene baggage". It's still a relative minority political group, but larger than before, more organized in media, and popular in some younger circles. Often, it attracts socially maladjusted young men and young people trying to be edgy, as well as business schemer types (like Molyneux).
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 06:10:39 PM by Brainpolice2 »