Author Topic: Professor Jordan Peterson on Real Time with Bill Maher  (Read 701 times)

money detonator

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +756
Professor Jordan Peterson on Real Time with Bill Maher
« on: April 22, 2018, 04:37:53 PM »
+1
Professor Jordan Peterson appeared on Real Time with Bill Maher.

https://youtu.be/8wLCmDtCDAM

Hopefully, his access to more legit venues restrict his time such that he won't bother to go on Molyneux's channel anymore.

For those that say Molyneux has said some of the same things, so what's the difference.  The main difference is that Peterson means to educate and enlighten, even if it might offend, and believes his message, and is consistent.  Molyneux deliberately seeks out offend one group in order to manipulate another group to give him money.  He doesn't care about what he has to say as long as he can achieve his real goal ($ and praise).  Also, I suspect, like most of Molyneux's content (Ancap, MRA, Alt-right, libertarian, atheism, etc.) , he has listened to others'/ Peterson's videos and parroted the ideas, but with his divisive spin of demonizing the "other".

Towards the end, Peterson and Maher discuss their shared options about parenting, which is very different from Molyneux's weird version of peaceful parenting. (I doubt Peterson has the time to research Molyneux's past enough to know how twisted his parenting sermons were.)

Bhez7

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: +12
Re: Professor Jordan Peterson on Real Time with Bill Maher
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 08:24:32 PM »
+1
I think you're giving Peterson a little too much credit. He's certainly better than Molyneux, and his motivations seem much more benevolent. Yet he's still pushing a lot of muddled pseudopsychology/philosophy as well as framing an ignorant and reactionary conservative outlook as somehow rebellious and freethinking.

Peterson's life advice seems much more useful than Moly's, but it's still chock full of derogatory and conformist rhetoric. His attempts at justifying bullying in his book stick out in particular, as well as his un-nuanced statements about relationships and sexuality.

Marc Moïni

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: +56
    • marcmoini.com
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 05:47:39 AM »
I think you're giving Peterson a little too much credit. He's certainly better than Molyneux, and his motivations seem much more benevolent. Yet he's still pushing a lot of muddled pseudopsychology/philosophy as well as framing an ignorant and reactionary conservative outlook as somehow rebellious and freethinking.

Peterson's life advice seems much more useful than Moly's, but it's still chock full of derogatory and conformist rhetoric. His attempts at justifying bullying in his book stick out in particular, as well as his un-nuanced statements about relationships and sexuality.

Agreed. I'm surprised to see Peterson fans here.
lessons from my journey out of confusion and despair:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEy_JSW_saSvsiG6wFnB8DeYUzT26-bA6

Weston Dupree

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +63
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 07:13:04 PM »

I would consider myself a Peterson fan. I probably have too many other books on my reading list to read his new book, but I'm considering trying his "self-authoring" program. To me, he seems like a legitimate psychologist. He taught at Harvard, treats patients, and conducts experiments. I also like that he's open to esoteric things that push the boundaries of science.

Since you have a bunch of criticisms of his work, I'm just curious, what famous psychologists do you like better than him?

Kronze21

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 11:19:48 PM »
Your assumptions of Stef is hilarious!!!  Says the same thing but because I don't like the way he said it duck him.  Its emotional garbage typical of the irrational and those who aren't logical.

Professor Jordan Peterson appeared on Real Time with Bill Maher.

https://youtu.be/8wLCmDtCDAM

http://youtu.be/8wLCmDtCDAM

Hopefully, his access to more legit venues restrict his time such that he won't bother to go on Molyneux's channel anymore.

For those that say Molyneux has said some of the same things, so what's the difference.  The main difference is that Peterson means to educate and enlighten, even if it might offend, and believes his message, and is consistent.  Molyneux deliberately seeks out offend one group in order to manipulate another group to give him money.  He doesn't care about what he has to say as long as he can achieve his real goal ($ and praise).  Also, I suspect, like most of Molyneux's content (Ancap, MRA, Alt-right, libertarian, atheism, etc.) , he has listened to others'/ Peterson's videos and parroted the ideas, but with his divisive spin of demonizing the "other".

Towards the end, Peterson and Maher discuss their shared options about parenting, which is very different from Molyneux's weird version of peaceful parenting. (I doubt Peterson has the time to research Molyneux's past enough to know how twisted his parenting sermons were.)