Author Topic: Author of "Race, IQ, and Jensen" repudiates Molyneux as a "coattail-hanger"  (Read 367 times)

Weston Dupree

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +62
[Yes spanking is not good, and since most people were spanked as a child , he can try and appeal to almost everyone.]

Absolutely

When I was little, my mom would hit me and my brother with a belt once and a while. It sucked, but now that I'm 30 it's not like I'm gonna keep dwelling on it. That would be ridiculous.

Though after all the talk about not spanking, Molyneux has actually changed his stance on this. If you watch his interviews with Charles Murray and Linda Godreidson, you see he's adopted the "parenting doesn't matter that much" view that evolutionary psychologists are in to which is described in the book The Nurture Assumption by Judith Rich Harris.

Lupus

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: +43
Though after all the talk about not spanking, Molyneux has actually changed his stance on this.

He's certainly loosened his grip on his once absolute stance that any level of physical coercion / abuse used against children is wrong, In FDR 3718 (June 2017) Molyneux says he would rather a child was brought up in a Christian family with spanking, than a child was brought up in a peaceful non-religious family.

There will doubtlessly be some Christians amongst his audience (an audience he's actively pursued) who would have seen this as, if not a reason, then a rationalisation for spanking their children, Molyneux had given them a convienent justification "hey, I might beat my kids, but at least we're not atheists".
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 07:25:25 PM by Lupus »

Marc Moïni

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: +56
    • marcmoini.com
When I was little, my mom would hit me and my brother with a belt once and a while. It sucked, but now that I'm 30 it's not like I'm gonna keep dwelling on it. That would be ridiculous.

I'm concerned for you. This type of mistreatment is a recipe for Complex PTSD, aka Developmental Trauma, aka Childhood Trauma. And it's very difficult to realize if we're affected, because part of what this does is blind us to the fear we feel (other emotions as well). See my videos if you're curious about how it's been for me, discovering how much I was handicapped, and then seeking effective ways to heal.

Molyneux has misrepresented childhood trauma, the way I see him doing with anything he talks about. I recommend people check out Pia Mellody's work, to get an accurate image of this whole topic. It's important because I think most people are affected to some degree. Not in the way Molyneux says.

A major reason why I've been frustrated with Molyneux's behavior, especially back when he was trying to attract people interested in the ideas of liberty, is that regardless of what side of an issue he argues for, he misrepresents it, and then people who aren't familiar with the topic end up with distorted and misleading notions. Which they might keep for years before re-examining them. I see that as a big obstacle to resolving important issues.
lessons from my journey out of confusion and despair:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEy_JSW_saSvsiG6wFnB8DeYUzT26-bA6