Author Topic: Slavery  (Read 83 times)

summa logicae

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: +43
Slavery
« on: August 11, 2018, 02:16:06 PM »
https://youtu.be/UzL4za_8u4o at 14:05

In his attempt to white wash (no pun intended) European history, Molyneux justifies, thereby neutering the topic of slavery by saying that though Europeans bought slaves, so did the Africans. Never one to bypass faulty reasoning, he commits the tu quoque fallacy, which claims the hypocrisy of an opposing position as a way to justify your own actions. This also implicitly blames only Africans for slavery, since they sold them to the Europeans, while glossing over the fact that they were bought by the Europeans as slaves, logically continuing their slavery. Has anyone heard any other conservative opinion spouter make this same case? I thought I heard Ben Shapiro utter something similar once but I could be wrong.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 02:18:32 PM by summa logicae »

Weston Dupree

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +62
Re: Slavery
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2018, 03:39:57 PM »
Molyneux says more whites were enslaved by "blacks"??? I haven't done so much research on this, but I've heard people talk about the high number of whites enslaved by Muslims, not blacks. Anyway, I have to agree that slavery is too often thought of as being a sin of whites. Check out this audio clip from Thomas Sowell's book Intellectuals and Race. He talks about places all over the world that had slaves and the slavery abolition movement starting in the West.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7gN2EYbtgM

summa logicae

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: +43
Re: Slavery
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2018, 01:51:26 PM »
I'm ignorant as to how many whites were enslaved in Africa, but it sounds suspect that the number was higher than African slaves. The issue isn't that Africans or Muslims also practiced slavery--if Molyneux just stated objective historical facts for teaching purposes on his channel he'd have credibility--but that it's framed dishonestly. In a different context, it's similar to a Pentecostal preacher blaming the whispering of demons in one's ear for sinful actions.