Author Topic: Tricking Molyneux Into A Debate.  (Read 1631 times)

QuestEon

• Just some guy with a blog.
  • Administrator
  • FDR Wizard
  • What's your opinion? I'd love to hear it!
  • Respect: +459
    • FDR Liberated
Re: Tricking Molyneux Into A Debate.
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2018, 08:33:13 AM »
+1
Molyneux's "fawning mini-me" is Michael DeMarco, not DeFranco!
Ha ha! Thanks for the correction! Fixed.
It isn't about winning the debate. It's about the truth.

Oliver Cromwell

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2018, 12:24:02 PM »
+2

Would make sense though. After all, Spanish dictator Francisco Franco was also an advocate of defooing - seizing children from leftist parents and giving them to good, right-wing Christians instead. The sort of thing Molyneux should support.

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2018, 01:50:32 PM »

Would make sense though. After all, Spanish dictator Francisco Franco was also an advocate of defooing - seizing children from leftist parents and giving them to good, right-wing Christians instead. The sort of thing Molyneux should support.

Well . . . in podcast FDR-3718 Molyneux says that it's better that a child is brought up in a Christian family that physically abuses their children - rather than being brought up without abuse in an non-religious family.

QuestEon

• Administrator
  • FDR Wizard
    • FDR Liberated
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2018, 06:08:10 PM »
+1
Do you think Stefan is really more interested in "destroying" his opponents than in the actual debate?...

...But, I'm curious about your thoughts on this - does Stefan just want to "win" , and does he get an ego boost from believing that he "destroyed " his opponent?

Well, I'll take a shot. I mentioned earlier that every interaction Molyneux has, even when he's having a little "therapy" call-in with one of his followers, is conducted as a debate (that he must win).

Why is that? Over the years, I've talked to a few practicing psychologists who consistently remind me that they wouldn't diagnose someone unless they were sitting in front of them. Therefore, I've always been reluctant to pronounce Molyneux as a narcissist (although I have done that every once in a while)!

Nevertheless, the more I've learned about narcissism, the more I think I understand him and the more his actions make sense to me.

The base need of every narcissist is "narcissistic supply"--praise and acknowledgement of their superiority. It is such a powerful craving. They need it like we need air.

That's the distinction I'd offer to your question:  A run-of-the-mill bully won't have a problem assaulting someone when no one is looking. A narcissist must have an audience. The audience is the most important part.

Molyneux's alleged verbal vanquishing of Brainpolice (who, by the way, had a better command of the topic at hand and is a better writer than Molyneux) certainly gave Molyneux a little buzz and helped to prop up his false self for a moment.

The REAL benefit came next, as Molyneux's adoring fans came back with a chorus of "You're the greatest, SM!" "You're still the champ, SM!" "No one will ever beat you, SM!" or whatever version of praise they were using that day.

That means everything to him. I would imagine Molyneux's real self (which we'll never see), knows all too well his failures and failings. I wouldn't be surprised if he dwells on them. The false self is so fragile--it has to have its constant supply to exist.

By extension, I've often mentioned that the people Molyneux employs to keep the accounts and comments of "trolls" (i.e., people who expose Molyneux's errors or shady behaviors) erased from all of his social media do so because it makes good business sense. (If you're going to market yourself as an infallible uber genius, then it just won't do to have people make you look ridiculous.)  But I think the other reason is narcissistic supply. On all of his media accounts, Molyneux can look back on continuous praise every time he needs to give his false self a little boost. And I'll bet you he does just that. It's all an illusion, but it seems to be working for him for now.

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +60
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 02:09:25 PM »
+2
Download: Sunday Show 08/29/2010 Mgeduld and Molyneux.mp3

Cleaned up audio - not perfect (as the original is pretty ropey) but a fair bit more listenable / intelligible than the original.

MP3 link > http://www.mediafire.com/file/06if0q7xjxg2zv9/repair.mp3/file

Faith

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: +17
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2018, 04:47:38 PM »
I think you're right, Questeon. Stef definitely depends on the ego boost (narcissistic supply) he gets from adoring fans and his hapless puppets. And while we can't diagnose him online, I think it's fair to say that Molyneux often exhibits behaviour consistant with narcissism.

I have a strong suspicion that some of those Molyneux puppets are responsible for a few of the recent odd threads that have been posted here - such as the CIA conspiracy BS from a few days ago, which is why I replied to them the way I did. I am currently being trolled and attacked on another forum (and i have reason to suspect the same culprits as the 'Honeypot' guys) However the other forum has an extremely misogynistic "moderator" who is allowing, and I believe encouraging, the abuse.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 04:49:54 PM by Faith »

QuestEon

• Administrator
  • FDR Wizard
    • FDR Liberated
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 04:58:34 PM »
Download: Sunday Show 08/29/2010 Mgeduld and Molyneux.mp3

Cleaned up audio - not perfect (as the original is pretty ropey) but a fair bit more listenable / intelligible than the original.

MP3 link > http://www.mediafire.com/file/06if0q7xjxg2zv9/repair.mp3/file

Great! Thank you!!

mgeduld

• FDR Curious
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2018, 02:13:07 PM »
+2
Wow. What a blast from the past. I'm mgeduld/grumblebee. I've maintained an interest in Molyneux and FDR, and I learned a huge amount about myself from that incident--about the ways I'm gullible. Prior to that, I never thought I was the sort of person who could be sucked into a cult. Now I know which buttons of mine are most easily pushed.

I'm always thirsty for intellectual discussion, and I never feel like I have enough of it in my life. When it comes to talking about ideas, I'm like a frustrated teenager who longs for sex.

I simply bought the idea that this is what FDR was about--and I was briefly seduced. I *wanted* it to be true. If Molyneux and his community had a been a bit more sophisticated (if the irrationality and corruption hasn't been so glaringly obvious), or if I had been a bit younger, I can imagine having written a check or made some terrible life decisions. And just because the FDR crowd *wasn't* sophisticated in that way, it doesn't mean some other group won't be in the future. The experience made me shed some hubris, and I'm glad of that.

Immediately after the skype call in which I tried and failed to get M to discuss his critics, he called me privately. I remember his tone was much humbler than it had been when talking in public. He seemed--*semmed*--to genuinely want to talk and to be my friends. But it was too late by then. My credulity was used up.

I probably check this forum a couple of times a year. I think it's terrific, but I have too much going on to check it continually. So it was just random chance that made me check today and see this thread!

Patience

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +73
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2018, 04:55:13 AM »
+1
I simply bought the idea that this is what FDR was about--and I was briefly seduced. I *wanted* it to be true. If Molyneux and his community had a been a bit more sophisticated (if the irrationality and corruption hasn't been so glaringly obvious), or if I had been a bit younger, I can imagine having written a check or made some terrible life decisions. And just because the FDR crowd *wasn't* sophisticated in that way, it doesn't mean some other group won't be in the future. The experience made me shed some hubris, and I'm glad of that.

Immediately after the skype call in which I tried and failed to get M to discuss his critics, he called me privately. I remember his tone was much humbler than it had been when talking in public. He seemed--*semmed*--to genuinely want to talk and to be my friends. But it was too late by then. My credulity was used up.

I am sure he would have recorded that private call. He would have used it against you, if you had stayed around any longer.

QuestEon

• Administrator
  • FDR Wizard
    • FDR Liberated
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2018, 05:54:45 PM »
+1
Wow. What a blast from the past. I'm mgeduld/grumblebee. I've maintained an interest in Molyneux and FDR, and I learned a huge amount about myself from that incident--about the ways I'm gullible. Prior to that, I never thought I was the sort of person who could be sucked into a cult. Now I know which buttons of mine are most easily pushed.
So thrilled that you checked in! I know that a lot of past contributors still visit from time to time and I'm always glad when they say hi.

I agree with Patience. In those days (and perhaps still today) Molyneux recorded everything. His sole purpose for contacting you was to "win," in some way, probably using your words against you.