Author Topic: Stefan Molyneux's Acts of Plagiarism  (Read 4419 times)

legendre

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: +7
Stefan Molyneux's Acts of Plagiarism
« on: December 12, 2018, 05:51:07 PM »
+4
Aloha! I'm sorry I haven't posted on this forum before. I'm Stuart Hayashi, and I want to thank QuestEon for writing about me at http://www.fdrliberated.com/stefan-molyneux-abandoned-quest-virtue-found-happiness-hate-profiteering-donald-trump/ concerning  my efforts to expose Stefan Molyneux's shady deeds. Briefly: I'm fortunate never to have been in Molyneux's orbit, but I did witness someone being victimized by him in real time. One of the first people to whom I ever subscribed on YouTube in 2006 was Colleen, where she was uploading videos about anarcho-capitalism. One day she uploaded a video where she said something to the effect of, Doing videos is just TALK. I want to walk the walk. Therefore, I'm going to join Stefan Molyneux in trying to build a better society. Then her YouTube videos vanished. And, of course, during the TruShibes saga, Colleen talked publicly about what it was like when she deFOOed and associated with Molyneux. That answered a lot of questions for me.

We all know Molyneux touts himself as an innovative philosopher -- a lover of knowledge -- but recently he has been exposed as even more of a slidshod scholar than I knew. Liberal Sanity Project did a video about this https://youtu.be/KBODLFX4BJw?t=7m20s. With respect to those Power Point-style slide presentations that Molyneux does, they contain plagiarism. Whoever has been make those slides for Molyneux has been going to various websites and just copy-pasting passages from other people's articles into the slides. Sometimes Molyneux's website would link to the online articles plagiarized, but the slides themselves never indicated that they had lifted the passages wholesale from the source material. Nor did Molyneux acknowledge that orally. This is something that Molyneux has been doing at least as early as 2009. 

And Molyneux has continued that trend on into this week. In his video "France: Burn Till You Learn," Molyneux plagiarized a New Criterion article by Roger Kimball and an editorial in the Falun Gong-controlled newspaper The Epoch Times. I have blogged about this phenomenon at https://stu-topia.blogspot.com/2018/12/stefan-molyneuxs-repeated-commissions.html

Does anyone know of any instances of plagiarism in Molyneux's books? I read anonymous posts online where people say that he took ideas from them and didn't credit them, but when I say I'm curious about instances of plagiarism, I'm asking about cases where Molyneux took passages from someone else's writing, verbatim or near-verbatim, and didn't acknowledge that he duplicated an entire passage.

Again, I'm sorry I didn't post here earlier.  Thank you very much for your time. :)

Faith

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +26
Re: Stefan Molyneux's Acts of Plagiarism
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 11:22:53 PM »
+1
Hi Stuart,
I just wanted to say I've read some of your interesting articles before, about Molyneux and on other topics,  which I believe you  must have posted on your facebook page ( as I just noticed you had sent me a message thru messager.)
Perhaps you could post the links here to any other articles you've written about Molyneux.

summa logicae

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +59
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 01:42:21 AM »
+1
He undoubtedly plagiarized from other works in his books. After seeing the video exposing his near total plagiarism on the subject the Roman empire, it's quite obvious that nothing is beneath this man. Molyneux is not a scholar or philosopher in any sense. I doubt that he even studied history as he claims. The only thing that parasite is concerned with is wheedling more money out of the unfortunate simpletons dazzled by his idiocy.

The Observer

• FDR Authority
  • Respect: +141
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2018, 02:56:51 AM »
+1
I'm not sure if it's plagiarism, but he sure borrows a lot of material from Jordan Peterson these days.  "Women score higher on agreeableness" is something you'll hear him say a lot, and that's straight from Dr. Peterson.  Before that, he borrowed quite a bit from Tom Leykis. 

He'll also criticize Jordan Peterson because for not being brave enough to discuss race and IQ.  He's bitter these days that no one wants to spread his disingenuous ideas on intelligence and race.  I doubt you'll see Peterson, Dave Rubin and Joe Rogan ever in the same room with him again.  Bret Weinstein made it clear a week ago that he wants nothing to do with Molyneux because of the race and IQ nonsense. 

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +83
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2018, 01:35:02 PM »
+2
Another Power Point-style slide presentation "The Truth About The Stock Market Crisis. Prepare Yourself" ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU8_H7x0KwA&pbjreload=10 ) lifts whole chunks, word for word, from a media.wikia article on the subject ( http://media.wikia.com/wiki/Quantitative_easing )

No source is cited or credit given, so not unreasonably his followers will assume he's done his own exhaustive research on the subject rather than cutting and pasting from someone else's work.

But one of my favourite examples of his plagiarism will always be this . . . .  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH3pHgGA9Zw&pbjreload=10
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 06:02:30 PM by Lupus »

Elucidated

• Kallipolis Agitator
  • FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +213
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 02:56:02 PM »
+1
Fantastic blog Stuart, great job!

I'm pretty sure DeMarco wasn't around to do the 'research' back in 2009, so Molyneux can take all the credit for taking all the credit

QuestEon

• Just some guy with a blog.
  • Administrator
  • FDR Wizard
  • What's your opinion? I'd love to hear it!
  • Respect: +463
    • FDR Liberated
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 10:29:32 PM »
+1
I couldn't agree more! Great blog and great post--hope I helped get the word out about it.

There's no doubt that if publicly caught out, Molyneux will throw DeMarco under the bus and DeMarco will happily be his fall guy. But like any real academic, Molyneux is 100% responsible for the material he presents.
It isn't about winning the debate. It's about the truth.

legendre

• FDR Interested
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 01:10:47 PM »
I want to thank all of you for your replies.  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pH3pHgGA9Zw&pbjreload=10

Lupus, I will check out the Quantitative Easing video and the Wikia; I see that Molyneux's upload is from February 2018 and a version of the article from 2016 is still available for me to make comparisons. http://media.wikia.com/wiki/Quantitative_easing?oldid=4407

I'm particularly intrigued by the part about Molyneux claiming to have written The Origins of War in Child Abuse by Lloyd Demause. I see that QuestEon mentioned Lloyd Demause in his article about Alice Miller, and that Molyneux interviewed Demause a few times back in his anarchist days. And I see that the clip of Molyneux claiming to have written the book is from his infamous "How NOT to Fight Evil" video, where he mentioned the "dip" in donations after the TruShibes incident and where he referenced his DMCA attack on her. His saying he wrote Lloyd Demause's book is at the 1 hour, 2 minute, 14 seconds mark. https://youtu.be/F6I5_ZNyQmc?t=1h2m14s Has Molyneux claiming credit for the Demause book been discussed a lot before in this forum?

Also, if I blog about this, would you guys be OK with my mentioning the tips from this forum?  May I mention you, Lupus? I ask because sometimes tipsters who give me important information don't want to be identified.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 01:12:46 PM by legendre »

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2018, 06:49:05 AM »
Lupus, I will check out the Quantitative Easing video and the Wikia; I see that Molyneux's upload is from February 2018 and a version of the article from 2016 is still available for me to make comparisons.

Yes, the wikia article predates Molyneux's presentation, he uses whole sections, often just changing just a single word here or there.

I'm particularly intrigued by the part about Molyneux claiming to have written The Origins of War in Child Abuse by Lloyd Demause. . . .

Yep, it's interesting, I suspect in his hurry to self-aggrandise and shore up his image as the saviour of children he had a head on collision with make-believe . . . you can see him quickly rowing back from his initial position of having written "entire books" (plural) to "a book" to "most of" a book, when even this is entirely untrue.

I see that QuestEon mentioned Lloyd Demause in his article about Alice Miller, and that Molyneux interviewed Demause a few times back in his anarchist days. And I see that the clip of Molyneux claiming to have written the book is from his infamous "How NOT to Fight Evil" video, where he mentioned the "dip" in donations after the TruShibes incident and where he referenced his DMCA attack on her. His saying he wrote Lloyd Demause's book is at the 1 hour, 2 minute, 14 seconds mark. https://youtu.be/F6I5_ZNyQmc?t=1h2m14s Has Molyneux claiming credit for the Demause book been discussed a lot before in this forum?

I don't think so, the thing is with Molyneux is that there is so much in the way of contradiction and hypocrisy that issues like this tend to come and go.

Also, if I blog about this, would you guys be OK with my mentioning the tips from this forum?  May I mention you, Lupus? I ask because sometimes tipsters who give me important information don't want to be identified.

Go ahead, use anything you need, I've no problem with that.

legendre

• FDR Interested
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2018, 09:40:33 AM »

Go ahead, use anything you need, I've no problem with that.

Thank you very much. :)

I have been going through the quantitative easing video and checking it against the 2016 version of the Media Wikia article. This might be the severest instance of plagiarism from Molyneux that I have seen yet.  :o

legendre

• FDR Interested
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2018, 02:05:32 PM »
+1
I looked into the two items Lupus mentioned. I contacted Susan Hein about Stefan Molyneux bizarrely claiming to have written Lloyd deMause's Origins of War in Child Abuse, and Susan Hein replied very quickly.

The chunk from the Media Wikia article that Molyneux plagiarized was 18 sentences long; it was over 390 words.

I have written a follow-up blog post on this. https://stu-topia.blogspot.com/2018/12/stefan-molyneuxs-dubious-claim-to-have.html  Thank you for your help!

QuestEon

• Just some guy with a blog.
  • Administrator
  • FDR Wizard
  • What's your opinion? I'd love to hear it!
  • Respect: +463
    • FDR Liberated
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 05:25:28 PM »
Another incredible blog post, Stuart! As well as excellent research and documentation.

I'd ask one small favor on the link to my site. I think it would be better to link directly to the forum: http://forum.fdrliberated.com.

Of course my blog is awesome, but since I tend to crank out posts at a glacial pace of two or three a year these days, more stuff is happening on the forum.

This current exposure of Molyneux's theft is sad on several levels. I know that he wanted to be a writer more than anything else—perhaps his generation's Ayn Rand. He worked so hard to achieve that dream until, after being rejected by academia and nearly every publisher, he fell into self-publishing. But now he has fallen further in representing other people's work as his own—the writer's equivalent of the drunk lying in the gutter.

The other thing that makes me sad is that this information will probably not mean much to Molyneux's current crop of followers. When I began my blog, Molyneux was speaking to a scholarly, fairly academic bunch who probably would be horrified at what you have revealed.

Now that he has been rejected by the libertarian community for his bad actions, he has shifted his primary target audience to young white men who hate their jobs and have trouble getting dates and are perfectly willing to blame women and people of color for their problems. I don't think plagiarism will mean much to them.

So it goes.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 05:31:47 PM by QuestEon »
It isn't about winning the debate. It's about the truth.

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 09:57:39 PM »
But now he has fallen further in representing other people's work as his own—the writer's equivalent of the drunk lying in the gutter.

I'd say that was somewhat unfair to actual drunks lying in the gutter, a better analogy would be that Molyneux (with regard to writing) is a drunk lying in the gutter next to a second drunk, the second drunk is so out of it that he has soiled his budget jeans with a freshly laid turd, Molyneux has then taken the opportunity to unzip the second drunk's jeans, loot the turd, insert it into his own jeans, forcing it part way up his 'philosophy pipe' for authenticity, and then claimed it as his own work.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 10:01:25 PM by Lupus »

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 09:59:56 PM »
I don't think plagiarism will mean much to them.

Agreed, he's passed the stage of these things mattering that much.

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 10:13:25 PM »
I have written a follow-up blog post on this. https://stu-topia.blogspot.com/2018/12/stefan-molyneuxs-dubious-claim-to-have.html  Thank you for your help!

Excellent job !  :D