Author Topic: Dec. 2018: Molyneux Has Resumed Telling Callers to deFOO ='(  (Read 1503 times)

legendre

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: +7
Dec. 2018: Molyneux Has Resumed Telling Callers to deFOO ='(
« on: December 30, 2018, 10:05:26 PM »
+1
I have some bad news. After TruShibes and then Joe Rogan exposed Molyneux's fixation on pressuring his fans to deFOO, I thought that maybe Molyneux was finally getting away from that, replacing that with Alt-Right white nationalism as his new schtick (not exactly what I would consider a dramatic improvement).  :o

But in his 26 December 2018 YouTube upload, Molyneux returned to his old tricks. Of course, as was the case with the other videos where Molyneux eventually tells the callers to deFOO, the evilness of parents was not what the caller was told the topic would be. The caller wrote to Molyneux saying that she is very committed to her vow not to have sex until marriage, and of how it is her commitment to chastity that makes her feel stigmatized. As with the old routine, Molyneux steered the topic to childhood trauma and, after an hour, tells the caller to confront her father one more time and, if her father does not admit wrongdoing after that one confrontation, it will be time to deFOO. 

After 2014, Molyneux had not given up on the deFOOing talk completely. In a video about the French presidential election of 2017, Molyneux told his French listeners that they should cut off all ties with anyone in their lives who supported candidate Emmanuel Macron over Marine Le Pen.

I'm worried that maybe Molyneux has started to feel confident again in instructing his viewers to deFOO. 

I wrote a blog post about this (going on very long with the context behind it from the past decade): https://stu-topia.blogspot.com/2018/12/pernicious-pretend-psychotherapy-from.html  I especially wanted to describe what I think is Molyneux's often-repeated routine (beat for beat) when it comes to wearing down the caller and eventually preparing the caller for the pitch wherein Molyneux says to deFOO.

My blog post goes on very long. But I thought that when it came to quoting Molyneux directly about this, I had to err on the side of quoting him at length, so that the reader would know that I was not taking Molyneux out of context. :(

summa logicae

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +59
Re: Dec. 2018: Molyneux Has Resumed Telling Callers to deFOO ='(
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2019, 01:04:59 PM »
+2
As far as I can tell the bulk of Molyneux's "advice" to most callers is still predicated on having them separate from family or anyone close to them. And this is to be expected if his own issues were never resolved. As you point out, he inevitably steers to the caller's childhood and proceeds to paint a picture of the most evil parents that ever walked the earth with what information the caller gives. Most times the caller's family issues are completely incongruous with what Molyneux says is the problem, but with his own issues never resolved, he projects them onto every call.

Yesterday's show gave a textbook example of this projection--https://youtu.be/BOx5L7bFvM0
Someone wrote in a super chat that they were feeling depressed and were thinking of suicide because they believed they have a low IQ (a probable fan of Molyneux, influenced by the inflated importance he puts on IQ despite having the IQ of a deck chair himself), and Molyneux, with no information other than that, proceeds to project his childhood experience as the reason for the callers suicidal thoughts.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 01:09:41 PM by summa logicae »

Faith

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2019, 02:10:28 PM »
+1
 I never watch more than a few minutes of Stefans videos, as he  makes my skin crawl, and so I cant comment on any specific episode, but I have a question for those who do watch him. How many of the episodes do you think are real, and how much is actually staged?
From what little I have seen of his shows, it appears that Stefan is in "deep thought" as he listens to the callers  (in an almost comical manner) pondering the words of wisdom he will impart on them. It does not appear spontaneous to me.

I've also seen some convincing evidence that he has posed as random people writing comments in to his own show (and, of course, praising his own greatness....)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 08:03:30 PM by Faith »

Elucidated

• Kallipolis Agitator
  • FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +213
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 04:23:36 PM »
+3

Yesterday's show gave a textbook example of this projection--https://youtu.be/BOx5L7bFvM0
Someone wrote in a super chat that they were feeling depressed and were thinking of suicide because they believed they have a low IQ (a probable fan of Molyneux, influenced by the inflated importance he puts on IQ despite having the IQ of a deck chair himself), and Molyneux, with no information other than that, proceeds to project his childhood experience as the reason for the callers suicidal thoughts.
This is disgusting. Not only total projection, but Molyneux adds to the pain this person is feeling by telling him how horrible his parents are, making him feel unloved. Even if he is unloved how does this help?! Maybe his parents do love him and would be the best people to help him, but Molyneux firmly closes that door, potentially pushing him further towards suicide.

Any decent person would have listened to the guy, not talked at him. A decent person would not have published the 'conversation' video. I guess that he obtains consent when doing this, but  someone in a vulnerable mental state may not be competent enough to make the decision, they are just desperate to clutch at staws by talking to him. Most importantly, Molyneux should have directed him straight to a professional.

He is abusive and manipulative in exploiting vulnerable people. He disgusts me.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 04:28:06 PM by Elucidated »

money detonator

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +769
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 05:27:32 PM »
+1
I think it is only partially projection.  He's revving up the confirmation bias machine to phish for new victims.

There's too much competition out there in cheerleading for Trump.  There's an endless supply of lonely, insecure people with relationship problems out there on the Web to exploit.   :-\  For someone with his limited skillset, it's an easier buck.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 05:31:03 PM by money detonator »

money detonator

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +769
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2019, 09:40:26 PM »
+1
Good to see people on Twitter giving him grief about defoo.   :)

Since I am sure he blocks and deletes, and the post is allowed to remain, it means he is not hiding from the stigma of looking like a cult leader quack. 

To the third tweeter, and anyone considering "defoo":

1) You can hate the government for free without joining a group; Billions of people have.
2) You can hate your family and friends for free without joining a group; Billions of people have.
3) You can hate religion for free without joining a group; Many people have.
4) You can be estranged from family and friends for free without joining a group; Many people have.  It isn't a new concept.  You need to get out more if you think someone just figured out that it is possible or acceptable.
5) Don't confuse a crutch (Molyneux or any other ideology) for a "spine", because no one else will, and you will suffer as a result.  Similarly, don't confuse parroting Molyneux with "thinking for yourself".  You won't fool anyone except other TBs.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 05:22:14 PM by money detonator »

Hierophant

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 06:06:01 AM »
You know, reading this blog entry, gives me an idea. If Molyneux's thesis, that child abuse distorts someone's ability to reason about politics (i.e. anarcho-capitalism, implicitly), is correct, then it should be fairly easy to prove. All Libertarians should have had great childhoods, and all Communists must have been beaten or raped in childhood. Right?

Demeter

• FDR Curious
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2019, 11:13:32 AM »
If it was all black and white like that we'd be living in a less complicated world. haha

Hierophant

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 10:05:39 PM »
What if people pressed him on providing the evidence? What do you think he would say?