Author Topic: New Zealand mosque shootings & Molyneux  (Read 997 times)

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +81
New Zealand mosque shootings & Molyneux
« on: March 15, 2019, 07:12:02 PM »
+1
Interesting to see Molyneux's name pop up in a few places in relation to the New Zealand Mosque shootings . . . . .

It's not difficult to see the connections people are making given Molyneux's output over the last two or three years.

This tweet (from someone called James Hearnes) sums up the general theme . . .

"The manifesto is a series of meme quotes and general neck-bearding between moments echoing the talking points of Stefan Molyneux who toured NZ in July"
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 07:17:23 PM by Lupus »

The Observer

• FDR Authority
  • Respect: +141
Re: New Zealand mosque shootings & Molyneux
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 09:40:56 PM »
He made a video today with no mention of the shooting, nothing.  Instead, he made some vague statements about leftists endangering him on the road or something like that and having one of his speeches cancelled.  But of course, he decided to make the video into another donation pitch to "save" us from "losing."  Molyneux will never tell his audience that "we won", because it would take away all his donation money. 

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 10:08:54 PM »
He does (briefly) mention the NZ shooting around 5':00", but the subject is quickly brought back to his usual subjects . . . .  I'm the saviour, 'I speak the truth', 'I am oppressed' ("hunted"), I speak for the downtrodden ("'I know that I speak for you" ) . . . . and if you were in any doubt that he's selling himself to his audience (and probably himself) as the new Jesus Christ he goes on to say . . .

"the phrase that has been ringing around my head is 'forgive them, father, for they know not what they do"

;D

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 10:23:14 PM »
+1
. . . . But of course, he decided to make the video into another donation pitch to "save" us from "losing."  Molyneux will never tell his audience that "we won", because it would take away all his donation money.

I loved the absurd reasoning he uses to separate his audience from their money . . . "If we lose, what is that money going to be worth ?"

:o ;D

Catastrophizing at its very best, this is the same noise we heard from Molyneux when Trump's omnibus bill was delivered, the world was going to collapse, yet we've heard nothing, absolutely zero, about the omnibus bill since !? The event that was going to lead to people eating their own children and burning corpses in the streets, so send me your money, and a year later not a single mention of it since, same deal with Trump intervening in Syria, we are going to see people eating their own children and burning corpses in the streets, so send me your money, and a year later . . . yup  . . . . not a single mention of it since.

He constantly engages in this catastrophizing, whereas other commentators manage to take a more balanced, reasoned approach, for Molyneux every shooting, market downturn, political upset . . (etc) . . . is the 'crossroads', the final battle, the end times . . . oh yeah and send me more of your money otherwise we will all end up in a gulag.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 10:24:49 PM by Lupus »

The Observer

• FDR Authority
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 02:18:01 AM »
. . . . But of course, he decided to make the video into another donation pitch to "save" us from "losing."  Molyneux will never tell his audience that "we won", because it would take away all his donation money.

I loved the absurd reasoning he uses to separate his audience from their money . . . "If we lose, what is that money going to be worth ?"

:o ;D

Catastrophizing at its very best, this is the same noise we heard from Molyneux when Trump's omnibus bill was delivered, the world was going to collapse, yet we've heard nothing, absolutely zero, about the omnibus bill since !? The event that was going to lead to people eating their own children and burning corpses in the streets, so send me your money, and a year later not a single mention of it since, same deal with Trump intervening in Syria, we are going to see people eating their own children and burning corpses in the streets, so send me your money, and a year later . . . yup  . . . . not a single mention of it since.

He constantly engages in this catastrophizing, whereas other commentators manage to take a more balanced, reasoned approach, for Molyneux every shooting, market downturn, political upset . . (etc) . . . is the 'crossroads', the final battle, the end times . . . oh yeah and send me more of your money otherwise we will all end up in a gulag.

My bad, I'll give him credit then for at least mentioning the shootings. 

He also mentioned that his Youtube views had been down about 50% since the beginning of 2019.  Not sure what the reason would be, but perhaps it's a subtle hint that people are starting to look more at others such as Rubin, Peterson, Sam Harris, etc. 

Anyway, back to your original topic -- I wonder how he will respond to the articles mentioning him by name as an influence.  Will he even make a video about the shooting?  We shall see.  My wife showed me that horrible video last night that I actually thought was a video game of someone murdering people.    :'(

Faith

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 03:43:10 AM »
+1
Stefan and Lauren Southern were scheduled to speak in Vancouver tonight at . Their show was canceled in light of the terrorist attack. Originally they were scheduled to speak at UBC, but students protested and UBC decided to cancel the show. They then found another off-campus venue,but the show was canceled at the last minute, following the news out of New Zealand.

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 03:47:09 AM »
My bad, I'll give him credit then for at least mentioning the shootings.

I think your general point still stands, for such a big media event you'd expect him to be all over this, at the least to distance himself, but it barely gets 60 seconds.

I honestly assumed the video title "A Critical Message from Stefan Molyneux of Freedomain Radio" to be a reference to the massacre, but nope, it was Molyneux telling us how persecuted he is, how his events are being protested, personally I'm against de-platforming and shutting down opinions you don't like, but his own woes really should have taken a backseat on a day like this, but apparently on 15th March 2019 the real victim was Stefan Molyneux !?

He also mentioned that his Youtube views had been down about 50% since the beginning of 2019.  Not sure what the reason would be, but perhaps it's a subtle hint that people are starting to look more at others such as Rubin, Peterson, Sam Harris, etc.

His view figures have actually been on a slow decline since July 2017, I can't honestly say why that might be, your guess would be as good as mine, maybe it's like you say more alt-media figures are rising to prominence and taking his audience away, maybe his Trump/Post election audience are drifting away (an audience he may well win back as we move towards 2020, if he makes the right noises) . . . who knows, I've always thought his audiences (plural) are transient, they seems to cycle every 2 or 3 years, anarchists, atheists, libertarians, Trump conservatives, Christians, nationalists . . . they all come and go, maybe he's just between audiences, probably time for him to jump on another bandwagon ?

Anyway, back to your original topic -- I wonder how he will respond to the articles mentioning him by name as an influence.

He'll likely present himself as the real victim in the massacre, that seems to be a theme of late, he's gone through a few pieces . . . . 'truth tellers are the most oppressed people . . . 'white people are the most oppressed people' . . . . 'geniuses (subtext 'like me') are the most oppressed people . . . etc, maybe this will just play into that narritive ?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 04:35:46 AM by Lupus »

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 03:59:48 AM »
Stefan and Lauren Southern were scheduled to speak in Vancouver tonight at . Their show was canceled in light of the terrorist attack. Originally they were scheduled to speak at UBC, but students protested and UBC decided to cancel the show. They then found another off-campus venue,but the show was canceled at the last minute, following the news out of New Zealand.

Like I say above, I'm wholly against all the censorship and de-platforming (including Molyneux's own banning and silencing of dissent on his own social media) . . . but on a day like this it's entirely understanable that emotions are going to be running high, today is probably not the day for another 2 hour 'Whites, you are being replaced' lecture, at the very least you'd think he'd have the sensitivity to reschedule it to a time when all this is a little less raw in people's minds ?

Or if that level of sensitivity was beyond him, then you'd think - at the very least - he'd just chalk this one up as a loss and move on, rather than whine on Youtube about how he's the real victim here ?

Excultmember90

• FDR Aware
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 09:33:32 AM »

Quick correction, they rescheduled due to budget issues.  The Chan Centre at UBC was "too expensive" according to him.

I wish it was due to protestors (since I am a Vancouverite) but it wasn't.  There were a few students posting meme's of Molyneux on campus but that was about it.

But back to the shooting, I don't know, I really don't care much about Molyneux now.  The more and more I move on in life the more I realize there is very little I can do to sink him or change people's minds.  It's been depressingly unfruitful to speak out against him, so even if he does something incredibly stupid like condone the shooting and such, I don't know if his fan base will care. 
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 09:36:18 AM by Excultmember90 »

Faith

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 12:28:28 PM »
The UBC story was reported here (I'm also in the Vancouver area & my daughter attends UBC) but I'm not sure if its really true. I'll ask my daughter if she heard anything about it at school.

I think it's important, ExCult90, that we don't just give up and stop trying to draw attention to people who spread and promote propaganda. If you noticed the SPLC article I posted, you will see Molyneux's name at the top of the list, so he has obviously influenced many people , but if people are starting to protest him and ban him from speaking at certain venues, maybe there is some progress. .

Excultmember90

• FDR Aware
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 08:35:29 PM »
I'm not sure if speaking out is going to do anything but reinforce the "The leftists are coming, the leftists are coming!" narrative.  It seems like whenever I try and raise any kind of legitimately scary points (like his murderous fantasies and defooing), brains shutdown and the discussion goes elsewhere.  Trying to bring people back to it only results in further derailment. 

Thing is though, those "on the outside" don't seem to care either when I try and raise the alarm about Molyneux either.  There's just too much complacency these days, and no one seems to be interested in dealing with the problem which makes me wonder if it's even a battle that can be fought. 

I don't want to sound extreme in this regard, but I do get a sense of 30's Berlin about the whole situation.  There is a significant portion of discontented people out there with the system, and those in the system are too occupied to care about those people, so the tension continues to rise. 

I've tried to rationalize and discuss with people on both sides (I still consider myself more of a Liberal than a Conservative) although I've never voted in our elections (Canada), but discussion never seems to be something that can be brought to the table. 

Want to talk about deeper matters?  "Leave me alone, I'm busy..."

Want to talk about the issues on alt-right people?  "Leftist alert!  Snowflake alert!"

There's no conversation to be had anymore on either side, it's almost as if none really cares.

Sorry, rant over.   

The Observer

• FDR Authority
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2019, 10:56:29 PM »
  "Leave me alone, I'm busy..."

Want to talk about the issues on alt-right people?  "Leftist alert!  Snowflake alert!"

There's no conversation to be had anymore on either side, it's almost as if none really cares.

That is the problem, isn't it?  I think it's because most people don't want to add any unnecessary emotional discomfort to their day (myself included on some days).  Most of the people that surround me out here in California are heavy left leaning and sometimes get hysterical and offended when I try to bring up something that goes against that narrative.  Growing up in the midwest, it was similar when bringing up the problems of the free market and religion.  One thing I do agree with Molyneux is that I believe he's right when says we should not be so afraid of making other uncomfortable though just talking. 

Excultmember90

• FDR Aware
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 11:11:24 PM »
  "Leave me alone, I'm busy..."

That is the problem, isn't it?  I think it's because most people don't want to add any unnecessary emotional discomfort to their day (myself included on some days)...

I don't think it's a bad thing to take a break from being "in the fire zone" if you will (I think that's Lauren Southern's problem, she seems to think the world will end if the heroic hobbit stops her quest), but I also think it's gone way too far in the other direction of "Meh".  I myself am on the verge of giving up and grabbing the proverbial popcorn.

I can also relate to the intolerance of conservatives if you will, being born in a "Bible belt" area, but I can also relate to the far left atmosphere of California (having worked there before).  There's no healthy medium really, and it's sad that no one is willing to talk anymore.  Too many on both the left and right are too damn sensitive, whether they like to admit it or not.

Maybe this is why Molyneux is necessary, he's just a giant monkey wrench being thrown in the cogs of society. 

Faith

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 11:16:01 PM »
I disagree....there are many people starting to take notice and speak out against the rise in alt-right groups. People do care, and many people were previously  unaware of the increase in the numbers of people who belong to these neo-nazi groups.

Now in Canada we have the Yellow Vest people spreading hate messages and advocating for violence. The Yellow Vest Canada facebook group has almost 110000 members, and the authorities are starting to investigate them, as many members are publicly posting messages calling for Trudeau to be assassinated  .

Excultmember90

• FDR Aware
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 11:20:59 PM »
I disagree....there are many people starting to take notice and speak out against the rise in alt-right groups. People do care, and many people were previously  unaware of the increase in the numbers of people who belong to these neo-nazi groups.

I sure do hope so, and I am more than happy to be proven wrong in my pessimism. 

My own family were extreme right, racist, and fanatics in their religion so I've grown up aware of the danger of far right ideology so most people to me seemed complacent in comparison, so that probably skews my viewpoint on what "normal" society is.