Author Topic: Show your support for Tru Shibes  (Read 7468 times)

QuestEon

• Just some guy with a blog.
  • Administrator
  • FDR Wizard
  • What's your opinion? I'd love to hear it!
  • Respect: +463
    • FDR Liberated
Show your support for Tru Shibes
« on: October 26, 2014, 12:49:45 PM »
+2
I linked to the Tru Shibes site in my article but wanted to make sure people coming to the forum find it. Tru Shibes clearly doesn't have the financial resources of the guy trying to silence her.

Also, while I personally think this legal action is important, what is equally and perhaps more impactful is truth spreading by word of mouth.

If you want to donate to the Tru Shibes fund, go to www.trushibes.com.

If you just want to drop her a note to show your support, try her facebook page (She also has other contact/social options on her site listed above.)

And, of course, keep sharing the link to the FDR Liberated article: http://www.fdrliberated.com/exclusive-stefan-molyneux-sued-for-misrepresentation-defamation

I also want to make sure everyone has the link to the original complaint

Finally, for you infinite recursion fans, you can share all of these links in a hurry by simply sharing a link to this post: http://www.fdrliberated.com/forum/index.php?topic=969.0.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 01:04:04 PM by QuestEon »
It isn't about winning the debate. It's about the truth.

chippowitz

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: +3
Re: Show your support for Tru Shibes
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2015, 05:23:32 PM »
Stefan Molyneux
Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:56 PM

Freedomain Radio (FDR) is a philosophy podcast hosted by Stefan Molyneux. A number of independent contractors are hired to perform a variety of tasks related to the show. On August 17 and 18, 2014, one of these independent contractors, Michael DeMarco, served a series of DMCA takedown notices based on claims of copyright infringement against a YouTube channel hosted by J. Raven entitled “Tru Shibes” which contained dozens of videos and photos with excerpts of original FDR material. Subsequent to its receipt of the takedown notices, YouTube disabled the “Tru Shibes” channel. Raven never submitted any DMCA counter notices to YouTube. These events resulted in a dispute between FDR and Raven, as well as online speculation that the “Tru Shibes” channel had been taken down due to doxing of FDR listeners. FDR has subsequently investigated this issue and has not found any instances of doxing on the “Tru Shibes” channel. In any event, to resolve this dispute and foster a broad range of discussion and debate regarding FDR’s content and material, FDR has no objection to the “Tru Shibes” channel being reinstated on YouTube, although FDR does not endorse the commentary and opinions of J. Raven that are expressed on the “Tru Shibes” channel.

: o )

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +651
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2015, 06:57:36 PM »
+2
Stefan Molyneux
Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:56 PM

Freedomain Radio (FDR) is a philosophy podcast hosted by Stefan Molyneux. A number of independent contractors are hired to perform a variety of tasks related to the show. On August 17 and 18, 2014, one of these independent contractors, Michael DeMarco, served a series of DMCA takedown notices based on claims of copyright infringement against a YouTube channel hosted by J. Raven entitled “Tru Shibes” which contained dozens of videos and photos with excerpts of original FDR material. Subsequent to its receipt of the takedown notices, YouTube disabled the “Tru Shibes” channel. Raven never submitted any DMCA counter notices to YouTube. These events resulted in a dispute between FDR and Raven, as well as online speculation that the “Tru Shibes” channel had been taken down due to doxing of FDR listeners. FDR has subsequently investigated this issue and has not found any instances of doxing on the “Tru Shibes” channel. In any event, to resolve this dispute and foster a broad range of discussion and debate regarding FDR’s content and material, FDR has no objection to the “Tru Shibes” channel being reinstated on YouTube, although FDR does not endorse the commentary and opinions of J. Raven that are expressed on the “Tru Shibes” channel.

This has been discussed elsewhere on this forum:

http://www.fdrliberated.com/forum/index.php?topic=1304.0

What do you - personally - think about this statement, Freedomain Radio forum users are not allowed to directly comment as Molyneux locked out free speech on the subject, so it's not easy to get an idea of how this has been received amongst FDR members, but are you able to say what you think about this, for example do you have a view as to why FDR used state force to censor this critic ?
"In every ideologically based community, there's a group that's elated the confirmation bias machine has finally gotten around to visiting their neighbourhood, like the ice cream truck" . . money detonator

chippowitz

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2015, 02:39:51 PM »
I haven't seen any evidence that the intention was to censor this critic; that, I believe, is as contrived as the doxxing rumours. What I don't understand is why J. Raven didn't just counterclaim and avoid all the subsequent hassle.

As to using state force, what other options were available? J. Raven didn't counterclaim, so why would she respond to other communications? If you're in a system that controls the means by which one can resolve these disputes, what do you do?

I think that Mike and Stefan dealt with this badly. They didn't communicate what was happening, hence the foundation was laid for rampant speculation. Now they close the case with an equally brief statement, leaving questions open again.

QuestEon

• Just some guy with a blog.
  • Administrator
  • FDR Wizard
  • What's your opinion? I'd love to hear it!
  • Respect: +463
    • FDR Liberated
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2015, 03:51:39 PM »
+1
As to using state force, what other options were available? J. Raven didn't counterclaim, so why would she respond to other communications?

From my article:

Quote from: me
The time compression trick. When you read the statement, did you get the impression that Molyneux’s sidekick sent a series of complaints over time that Tru Shibes simply ignored? Crafty bit of misdirection there—because what he actually did was take advantage of YouTube’s “three-strikes-and-you’re-out” policy, submitting all three complaints on the same day (or nearly so), so that Shibes would be blindsided and unable to respond before her channel was tanked.

The “She-hit-first!” misdirect. Oh, and Molyneux seems hurt that Shibes didn’t file “counter notices” with YouTube instead of filing suit. Well, guess what? This wasn’t about YouTube policy–Molyneux’s organization accused Shibes of breaking the law. She appealed in the venue that Molyneux’s organization chose, both by its own actions and new-found love of the state.

One other thing, if you've watched Molyneux long enough, you know that his response to perceived "enemies" is always scorched-earth, as the adminstrator of Liberating Minds (and almost any former supporter who has been banned) discovered. When someone like Molyneux starts using the power of the state against you, you pick up the biggest legal club you can find and hit back. That's the time-honored approach to bullies.

They didn't communicate what was happening, hence the foundation was laid for rampant speculation.

They most certainly did communicate. DeMarco's now-deleted post said that Tru Shibes was doxxing and bullying forum members, so he used any means at his disposal to eliminate her channel, which included a phony DMCA charge. There was never any "online speculation," only affirmation of the charge DeMarco made from the very beginning.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 03:56:32 PM by QuestEon »
It isn't about winning the debate. It's about the truth.

money detonator

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +769
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2015, 03:59:32 PM »
Filing of a counterclaim is irrelevant to whether the original claim is legit or not.

There are several 512(f) cases filed even after counterclaims are filed and videos restored.
There are also cases where counterclaims were not filed.

The counterclaim merely obligates the service provider (in this case Youtube) to restore the video IF the person filing the (original Copyright) claim does not file a lawsuit within 10 days.  That is all it is.

Whether or not the original Copyright claim is bogus is a separate legal matter that only the Court can decide.

Let's remember that Molyneux said very clearly, twice, on the Rogan show that it had "nothing to do with copyright":

Quote from: Stefan Molyneux
It’s got nothing to do with copyright or anything like that, I just felt that listeners were being acted against in a negative way, a significantly negative way, so that’s what we did, but it’s nothing to do with copyright or anything like that. People use my stuff all the time. 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 04:42:16 PM by money detonator »

• FDR Wizard
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 04:11:01 PM »
+2
I haven't seen any evidence that the intention was to censor this critic; that, I believe, is as contrived as the doxxing rumours.

My question didn't include 'intention'. My question was why did FDR used state force to censor this critic ? Are you also aware that the doxxing rumours were started by FDR ?

Ok . . . so the intention was not to censor this critic.

Also, Molyneux has stated publicly that it had nothing to do with copyright.

And his recent statement points out that no one at FDR saw any evidence of doxxing (as none exists) at the time.

. . . so the question remains, why do you think FDR used state force to censor this channel ?

Given that both copyright and doxing can be ruled out - and both have been publicly ruled out by Molyneux himself - and given that Molyneux was about to go on the Joe Rogan show, and potentially reach a new audience - I don't think it's unreasonable to speculate that there was an attempt to remove a potentially embarrassing channel from all those new viewers looking him up on Youtube.

But, let's put that aside for the moment, and we can put doxing and copyright aside, so why do you think FDR broke so many of it's core principles, the use of state laws, policing IP, the initiation of force . . . and so on . . . ?

As to using state force, what other options were available?

Youtube's own dispute resolution system of course !

What other options were available for what  ? You seem to be arguing for something without stating it ?

What was it that Molyneux/FDR needed options to resolve ?

I think that Mike and Stefan dealt with this badly.

Dealt with what ? What was it they were dealing with ?

"In every ideologically based community, there's a group that's elated the confirmation bias machine has finally gotten around to visiting their neighbourhood, like the ice cream truck" . . money detonator

Mike_Lice

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +318
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2015, 04:16:05 PM »
+1
I haven't seen any evidence that the intention was to censor this critic; that, I believe, is as contrived as the doxxing rumours. What I don't understand is why J. Raven didn't just counterclaim and avoid all the subsequent hassle.

As to using state force, what other options were available? J. Raven didn't counterclaim, so why would she respond to other communications? If you're in a system that controls the means by which one can resolve these disputes, what do you do?

"In abusing the DMCA Procedure to take down my Youtube channel, Defendants Stefan Molyneux and Michael DeMarco acted with complete disregard for my free speech rights, as alleged in the Complaint.  They misused United States copyright law to remove online content, and admitted this publicly.  To justify their actions, they maliciously promoted rumors that I used my videos to harass and dox their listeners and callers.  It was necessary for me to file this Complaint in order to set the record straight, and to establish my right to criticize Molyneux’s opinions through the forum of my choice." - trushibes.com

My guess is that she used this option because she had the best chance of proving her innocence and win.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 04:17:46 PM by Mike_Lice »

• FDR Wizard
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2015, 04:37:03 PM »
+1
My guess is that she used this option because she had the best chance of proving her innocence and win.

Whatever the reason the whole "why J. Raven didn't just counterclaim" is a red herring, she could have not counterclaimed for perfectly legitimate reasons or she could have not counterclaimed because she is absolutely insane and spends most of her time sat on a roof howling at the moon . . whatever the reason it's irrelevant to the issue . . . . this is not unlike a lawyer - for the defence of a car driver who wilfully mounted a pavement and delibrately targeted pedestrians - asking why one of the pedestrians on the CCTV footage appeared to just stand there and take no evasive action . . . who knows or cares, it's irrelevant to the issue of the car driver's action.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2015, 04:38:35 PM by : o ) »