Author Topic: Peak Molyneux ?  (Read 8029 times)

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +83
Re: Peak Molyneux ?
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2019, 07:13:51 AM »
Hahahahaha!! I forgot about those. They are considered seminal works by those philosophers, in fact.

Agreed, seminal works, without doubt some of philosophy's most important thinkers . . . . but where would they all be without those who went before them, where would they be without the insights of people like Hobbes . . .

« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 07:30:14 AM by Lupus »

summa logicae

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +59
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2019, 01:16:34 PM »
Hahahahaha!! I forgot about those. They are considered seminal works by those philosophers, in fact.

Agreed, seminal works, without doubt some of philosophy's most important thinkers . . . . but where would they all be without those who went before them, where would they be without the insights of people like Hobbes . . .

Hehehe. He also wrote Ye Truth Regarding Robin Williams, if I'm not mistaken. They rank up there with Immanuel Kant's Critique of Pure Reason.

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2019, 05:01:37 PM »
Hehehe. He also wrote Ye Truth Regarding Robin Williams, if I'm not mistaken. They rank up there with Immanuel Kant's Critique of Pure Reason.

Yes, Kant (like Molyneux) is another giant in philosophy, Critique of Pure Reason ranks up there alongside Molyneux's Critique of Star Wars.

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2019, 12:34:35 PM »
Today's "Philosophy" show . . .

"I Can't Dump My Hot Guy!"

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2019, 06:57:44 PM »
+1
The decline continues, new data point in red.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 07:03:49 PM by Lupus »

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2019, 07:01:01 PM »
+1
. . . . it's odd that he's been losing subs a lot the last month.  According to social blade, he has fewer subs now than he did in April . . .

The Socialblade data is showing how many people have subbed to him each month, the rate at which he is picking up subs is falling (inline with his falling view count), so he is getting less and less people joining (subscribing to) him at time goes on  . . . . but that doesn't mean he is losing subs or that he has fewer subs now than he did in April.

So if you have 100 subscribers in Jan . . . and you add 10 subscribers every month, the rate at which you are attracting subscribers is constant (a flat line on the Socialblade graph). Your overall subscriber base is growing.

So if you have 100 subscribers in Jan . . . and you add 10 in the first month, then 8 the next month, then 6 the next month (and so on . . .) the rate at which you are attracting subscribers is falling (a declining line on the Socialblade graph). Your overall subscriber base is still growing, but at a slowing rate.

@ The Observer . . . .

It turns out you are right . . . Molyneux, for the first time, is now losing subscribers, he's crossed the zero line . . . not just the rate at which he attracts subscribers, but his absolute numbers are now falling, he dropped ~500 subscribers during April.

(the big spike between Jul - Oct 18 is not an actual increase, but a Youtube adjustment, during the same period the data shows a massive drop in viewing figures (-5m views) which is also to be ignored)

« Last Edit: June 01, 2019, 09:13:51 PM by Lupus »

The Observer

• FDR Authority
  • Respect: +141
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2019, 07:33:53 PM »
. . . . it's odd that he's been losing subs a lot the last month.  According to social blade, he has fewer subs now than he did in April . . .

The Socialblade data is showing how many people have subbed to him each month, the rate at which he is picking up subs is falling (inline with his falling view count), so he is getting less and less people joining (subscribing to) him at time goes on  . . . . but that doesn't mean he is losing subs or that he has fewer subs now than he did in April.

So if you have 100 subscribers in Jan . . . and you add 10 subscribers every month, the rate at which you are attracting subscribers is constant (a flat line on the Socialblade graph). Your overall subscriber base is growing.

So if you have 100 subscribers in Jan . . . and you add 10 in the first month, then 8 the next month, then 6 the next month (and so on . . .) the rate at which you are attracting subscribers is falling (a declining line on the Socialblade graph). Your overall subscriber base is still growing, but at a slowing rate.

@ The Observer . . . .

It turns out you are right . . . Molyneux, for the first time, is now losing subscribers, he's crossed the zero line . . . not just the rate at which he attracts subscribers, but his absolute numbers are now falling, he dropped ~500 subscribers during April.

(the big spike between Jul - Oct 18 is not an actual increase, but a Youtube adjustment, during the same period the data shows a massive drop in viewing figures (-5m views) which is also to be ignored)

Yes, I noticed that he was losing subs almost every day on Social Blade.  The reason for it?  I don't know.  I'm only speculating here, but I read that Youtube was deleting a lot of bot/fake accounts.  Another possibility could be that Moly has plateaued.  He hasn't really done anything new in the last year has he?   The documentary was the only thing I can think of that was new.  The message is always the same.

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2019, 06:33:07 PM »
+1
The reason for it?  I don't know.  I'm only speculating here, but I read that Youtube was deleting a lot of bot/fake accounts.  Another possibility could be that Moly has plateaued.

While I'm sure there are technical issues (Youtube endlessly tinkering with their various algorithms / deleting bot/fake accounts and so on) Molyneux's decline has spanned almost 2 years now, and that decline has been gradual and consistent, so it looks fairly organic to me - by organic I mean a natural process of loss . . . if his decline was the result of a technical adjustment it would show up as a sudden change - for example the YT adjustment in July-Aug 18 - but you can see, this adjustment sits against a stable background of a slow decline.

I suspect it's simply that a bunch of people were attracted to his Trump cheerleading, a lot stuck around after the party was over, but over time they've lost interest - to be fair if you'd signed up to listen to someone champion your political candidate of choice it doesn't follow that you'd then tune in regularly to listen to - entirely unrelated - amateur online therapy, dream interpretation and long embittered diatribes about how women are evil.  ;D

I mean . . . if I started watching - for example - a Youtube channel which kept me up to date with the various political machinations surrounding Brexit, would I want to stick around once Brexit was done to listen to the host lecture me on carpentry or bicycle maintenance ?

He hasn't really done anything new in the last year has he?

Agreed, he really hasn't, it's the same stuff you've heard year after year, he might shuffle the format around a little, but it's the same old stuff.

The documentary was the only thing I can think of that was new.  The message is always the same.

I loved that documentary ('The 100 Year March - A Philosopher in Poland') I'm not joking, I loved it, everything about it made me laugh, from the title to him slowly mincing around in the snow trying to look like a seasoned documentary front man, and I absolutely loved that overly dramatic bit towards the end with the sudden burst of anger where he almost attacks the camera (the bit about the 'fires of liberty' going out), lol, just wonderful . . . I might have to watch it again now  :D
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 06:53:15 AM by Lupus »

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #38 on: June 11, 2019, 08:10:40 PM »

Today's 'Philosophy', exclamation mark and all . . .

"Dad Left Us For A Stripper!"

summa logicae

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2019, 12:52:44 PM »

Today's 'Philosophy', exclamation mark and all . . .

"Dad Left Us For A Stripper!"

I can smell the philosophy from here on that one. Such profundity. Did you see the vegan "debate" he had recently?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 12:55:27 PM by summa logicae »

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2019, 07:18:14 PM »
I can smell the philosophy from here on that one. Such profundity.

Agreed, Molyneux's deeply insightful "Dad Left Us For A Stripper!" toys with a typically profound notion of existential awareness, rejecting the anthropic principle in search of something more foundational, of course - as any longtime Molyneux watcher will already know - the device of the 'stripper', in this 'conversation', is obvioulsy our own hesitancy to reveal ourselves in front of the expected standards of imposed societal norms, our reluctance to take off the 'mask', once again Molyneux cleverly plays with expectations, piloting his audience to a profound destination, a place made of philosophical mirrors, a place where the 'stripper' is finally seen. Deep. 

Did you see the vegan "debate" he had recently?

I've not seen that one yet, but I will check it out - as should everyone who is interested in being virtuous and honourable and a philosopher and virtuous and also philosophical and PayPal.

summa logicae

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2019, 08:36:18 PM »

Agreed, Molyneux's deeply insightful "Dad Left Us For A Stripper!" toys with a typically profound notion of existential awareness, rejecting the anthropic principle in search of something more foundational, of course - as any longtime Molyneux watcher will already know - the device of the 'stripper', in this 'conversation', is obvioulsy our own hesitancy to reveal ourselves in front of the expected standards of imposed societal norms, our reluctance to take off the 'mask', once again Molyneux cleverly plays with expectations, piloting his audience to a profound destination, a place made of philosophical mirrors, a place where the 'stripper' is finally seen. Deep. 

Indeed Molyneux plays with the 'stripper' archetype as a destructive force, ultimately for the good; as it forces us to confront the true enemy responsible for all our ills--the parental figure. Not since Nietzsche have such psychological insights into human behavior been brought to light.

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2019, 10:01:27 PM »
Indeed Molyneux plays with the 'stripper' archetype as a destructive force, ultimately for the good; as it forces us to confront the true enemy responsible for all our ills--the parental figure.

Yes, in many ways Molyneux is dispensing with the merely rhetorical "who amongst us is not 'the stripper'", by making his audience part of not only the answer but the question itself, he is lowering his audience into the yawning cavernous void, on an umbilical cord made from nothing other than the audacious and fearless ideas of a maverick thought-leader, in the expectation that they can finally see the 'stripper' archetype as a normative behavioural model held in place - within the ethical abyss - by the strictures innate within language's use as a tool of tyranny.

Or as he, himself, puts it in his previous work "I Can't Dump My Hot Guy!", "it's like some guy saying he's really proud of being tall, it's like, come on you didn't earn that, it's just the way you were born".

Nietzsche have such psychological insights into human behavior been brought to light.

Who wrote UPB ? Was it Nietzsche, or was it Molyneux ?

It was Molyneux.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 10:06:36 PM by Lupus »

summa logicae

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2019, 11:55:45 PM »

Yes, in many ways Molyneux is dispensing with the merely rhetorical "who amongst us is not 'the stripper'", by making his audience part of not only the answer but the question itself, he is lowering his audience into the yawning cavernous void, on an umbilical cord made from nothing other than the audacious and fearless ideas of a maverick thought-leader, in the expectation that they can finally see the 'stripper' archetype as a normative behavioural model held in place - within the ethical abyss - by the strictures innate within language's use as a tool of tyranny.

Or as he, himself, puts it in his previous work "I Can't Dump My Hot Guy!", "it's like some guy saying he's really proud of being tall, it's like, come on you didn't earn that, it's just the way you were born".

Quite right. And it's reminiscent of Heidegger's "Dasein" in that, however greatly we fear fulfilling the 'stripper' archetype, our very existence is predicated on the embodiment of chaos. We are only born to destroy our "essence" (in this case our parents, no matter how loving they seemed) in order to become those great conquerors of all past moral and ethical concerns.

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2019, 02:35:34 PM »
Quite right. And it's reminiscent of Heidegger's "Dasein" in that, however greatly we fear fulfilling the 'stripper' archetype, our very existence is predicated on the embodiment of chaos.

I think it was Heidegger himself who said "to become the 'stripper' we must take off the 'clothes' of chaos."

We are only born to destroy our "essence" (in this case our parents, no matter how loving they seemed) in order to become those great conquerors of all past moral and ethical concerns.

I don't think Molyneux was the first to reveal the innate deceit played out within the parent-child 'theatre', but he was certainly the first to entwine this essential truth into the larger tapestry, that of the parental figure as caregiver / sexual partner / monocratic oppressor. It's only through this lens -  constructed from Molyneux's astonishing and extraordinary journeys into the 'essence' - that we can see the parent as the 'snake' and the child as 'the parent'.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 03:53:05 PM by Lupus »