Author Topic: Peak Molyneux ?  (Read 2725 times)

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +82
Re: Peak Molyneux ?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2019, 02:15:10 PM »
"My Brother Was Bat Boy And Mom Kept Him Locked In The Attic!" Haha it would hard to imagine them doing that.

The future is looking to be a "philosophy" rollercoaster . . . .

Stefan Molyneux / My father was a woman AND a nazi !!
Stefan Molyneux / Why my daughter has TWO penises !!
Stefan Molyneux / I ATE my mother's brains to survive !
Stefan Molyneux / I married my DOG !! And now it wants a DIVORCE !
Stefan Molyneux / I was raped by the GHOST of my mother !!!

(All thumbnails contain either a picture of Molyneux doing his 'OMG!' face palm or scowling as if he's just found out the sales figures for UPB)

On a more serious note, I wonder if it ever occurs to Molyneux that he's seen as a complete joke by any serious intellectual that bothers to pay him any attention, or he really does believe that just having followers means he's doing important work.

I think people can rationalise away almost anything, if there's any sense that he's not a leading light in serious philosophy circles then it will be down to a leftist conspiracy against him.

I say that because (apart from his cult leader/con man behavior) it's obvious he wants to be an intellectual but has no idea how to go about it.

I think you are being a little unfair, have you even seen his 47 hour Christmas special with his 'excellent' singing ? Does Sam Harris entertain us at Christmas with singing ? I don't think so.

summa logicae

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +59
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2019, 02:57:26 PM »
"My Brother Was Bat Boy And Mom Kept Him Locked In The Attic!" Haha it would hard to imagine them doing that.

The future is looking to be a "philosophy" rollercoaster . . . .

Stefan Molyneux / My father was a woman AND a nazi !!
Stefan Molyneux / Why my daughter has TWO penises !!
Stefan Molyneux / I ATE my mother's brains to survive !
Stefan Molyneux / I married my DOG !! And now it wants a DIVORCE !
Stefan Molyneux / I was raped by the GHOST of my mother !!!

(All thumbnails contain either a picture of Molyneux doing his 'OMG!' face palm or scowling as if he's just found out the sales figures for UPB)

"MY FATHER DRESSED ME UP LIKE COW AND SOLD ME TO A FARM"!

I think you are being a little unfair, have you even seen his 47 hour Christmas special with his 'excellent' singing ? Does Sam Harris entertain us at Christmas with singing ? I don't think so.

That's true. Harris should know that true intellectuals sing and tap dance to really hammer a point home.

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2019, 05:49:15 AM »
That's true. Harris should know that true intellectuals sing and tap dance to really hammer a point home.

I hear Steven Pinker is at least taking the time to work on a few magic tricks - and Zizek famously does the whole plate spinning and juggling thing, Harris need to raise his game if he wants to keep up with "public intellectuals" like Molyneux.  ;D

Hierophant

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2019, 01:11:15 AM »
People, people, let's not quarrel. No matter what our political position is, we can all agree that Stefan Molyneux is an idiot. It's the only thing that can unite America right now.

The Observer

• FDR Authority
  • Respect: +141
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2019, 05:04:49 PM »
I haven't been paying much attention to his content over the last few weeks, but I will point out that it's odd that he's been losing subs a lot the last month.  According to social blade, he has fewer subs now than he did in April.  Have to wonder if those were bots or if some people really are getting bored.  I tried listening to one of his calls with a woman, but it became so predictable that I couldn't finish it.

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2019, 06:05:55 PM »
. . . . it's odd that he's been losing subs a lot the last month.  According to social blade, he has fewer subs now than he did in April . . .

The Socialblade data is showing how many people have subbed to him each month, the rate at which he is picking up subs is falling (inline with his falling view count), so he is getting less and less people joining (subscribing to) him at time goes on  . . . . but that doesn't mean he is losing subs or that he has fewer subs now than he did in April.

So if you have 100 subscribers in Jan . . . and you add 10 subscribers every month, the rate at which you are attracting subscribers is constant (a flat line on the Socialblade graph). Your overall subscriber base is growing.

So if you have 100 subscribers in Jan . . . and you add 10 in the first month, then 8 the next month, then 6 the next month (and so on . . .) the rate at which you are attracting subscribers is falling (a declining line on the Socialblade graph). Your overall subscriber base is still growing, but at a slowing rate.

The Observer

• FDR Authority
  • Respect: +141
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2019, 07:26:52 PM »
. . . . it's odd that he's been losing subs a lot the last month.  According to social blade, he has fewer subs now than he did in April . . .

The Socialblade data is showing how many people have subbed to him each month, the rate at which he is picking up subs is falling (inline with his falling view count), so he is getting less and less people joining (subscribing to) him at time goes on  . . . . but that doesn't mean he is losing subs or that he has fewer subs now than he did in April.

So if you have 100 subscribers in Jan . . . and you add 10 subscribers every month, the rate at which you are attracting subscribers is constant (a flat line on the Socialblade graph). Your overall subscriber base is growing.

So if you have 100 subscribers in Jan . . . and you add 10 in the first month, then 8 the next month, then 6 the next month (and so on . . .) the rate at which you are attracting subscribers is falling (a declining line on the Socialblade graph). Your overall subscriber base is still growing, but at a slowing rate.

I'm just speaking from what I saw, so it could be possible that I don't understand this site entirely.  I just noticed that in the last 10 days, there were many days where he lost 20, 30, or even 40 subs per day.  Maybe we're splitting hairs here, but I think something is going on that has slowed or stopped his growth. 

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2019, 06:49:54 AM »
+1
. . . something is going on that has slowed or stopped his growth.

I still think his problem is a post-Trump-election problem . . . Molyneux saw a marked increase in interest around the Trump election - and to a lesser extend in the period directly following.

The people who showed up through interest in Trump got what they came for - a confirmation of their political leanings - Molyneux knows how to preach to the congregation - Trump was lauded, praised and pretty much defied, his opponents demonised and portrayed as wicked plotting communists. All good stuff, standard political fare if - in Molyneux's hands - somewhat overly dramatic and theatrical (vote for X otherwise we will see a thousand years of darkness . . .  ).

Once the election was done those same people were expected to stick around and - for reasons never really explained - take a sudden interest in "philosophy" - to be fair the "philosophy" on offer was essentially just more bias-driven sociopolitical opinion - but mixed with the call-in shows (which seem to have caught themselves in a loop of repetition) and the very rare occasional short dip into actual philosophy (something done far far better on other - actual philosophy - channels) . . . and the result is a package I can't honestly see as being of much interest to a large part of his audience who were really only ever there to listen to someone champion their political candidate.

I'd also add that the repetition is likely an additional factor, I used to be an avid Molyneux viewer, I would literally watch/listen to every single video - a kind of morbid fascination - but even I struggle to get though the now laughably predictable call-in shows that have been done a hundred times before . . .

Caller: I lost my job because our parent company was bought out by Japanese investors.

Molyneux: Where was your mother when you got sacked ?

Caller: Wait, what . . ?

Molyneux: So, you lose your livelihood and your mother simply carries on as if everything is fine with the world, doesn't that strike you as a little 'cold' ?

Caller: Well I guess, but . . .

Molyneux: So, you have a mother who doesn't care whether you lose your job or not - and a mother who doesn't care for her children's wellbeing can only be described as psychopathic - and you are serioulsy wondering why you keep losing your job ? Why you can't function in the modern workplace ? . . . You are wondering, having been brought up by a narcissistic parasitical psychopath, why you might be struggling in life . . . seriously ? . . You really need to listen back to this show, you'll see how defensive and angry and entitled you are.

Caller: But . . .

Molyneux: When your mother was mind-raping you as a child what was your leftist father doing . . . ?

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 07:20:06 AM by Lupus »

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2019, 11:46:38 PM »
"How Do I Stop Banging Asian Women?"

Seriously, this is Molynuex's latest video ! His latest effort at bringing "philosophy" to the world.  ;D

I wonder if him going full-on Jerry Springer is simply an attempt to stem the decline in his popularity ? Or is this really what he always wanted to be doing, a kind of scandalous 'tabloid' gossip channel ?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 12:46:29 AM by Lupus »

summa logicae

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2019, 01:50:30 AM »

Seriously, this is Molynuex's latest video ! His latest effort at bringing "philosophy" to the world.  ;D

I wonder if him going full-on Jerry Springer is simply an attempt to stem the decline in his popularity ? Or is this really what he always wanted to be doing, a kind of scandalous 'tabloid' gossip channel ?

When I saw the title for the video earlier today, I couldn't stop laughing for a while. That's a step down even for Molyneux. He's not even trying to make it sound pseudo-therapeutic now. It's desperate, and I don't see it bringing in too many new viewers, despite the Jerry Springer level of trashiness.

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2019, 09:14:27 AM »
It's desperate, and I don't see it bringing in too many new viewers, despite the Jerry Springer level of trashiness.

Yet, it really does seem desperate, just in the last month we've had . . .

"I Blew Over $100,000 on Prostitutes - And I'm Lonely!"

"My Wife Wanted Kids, Now She Wants an Abortion!"

"MOM ACCUSED DAD OF MOLESTING US!"

"My Stepbrother Shot Me - How Do I Move On?"

. . . you know it's real "philosophy" when it ends in an exclamation mark  ;) ;D

summa logicae

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2019, 10:52:05 PM »
+3

. . . you know it's real "philosophy" when it ends in an exclamation mark  ;) ;D

Only the deepest of philosophy ends in exclamations marks hehe. Someone posted this under the video posted on his twitter and I thought it was pretty funny:

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2019, 11:39:54 AM »
Someone posted this under the video posted on his twitter and I thought it was pretty funny:

Ha ! Perfect !  ;D

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2019, 04:44:42 PM »
+1
That's a step down even for Molyneux.

Mind you . . .

summa logicae

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2019, 11:16:42 PM »
That's a step down even for Molyneux.

Mind you . . .

Hahahahaha!! I forgot about those. They are considered seminal works by those philosophers, in fact.