Author Topic: Preemptive Christmas Present: PayPal To Cut Off Donations To Stefan Molyneux  (Read 378 times)

Putty Tat

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: +6
    • AnCaps
PayPal is working to end their services for far-right YouTuber Stefan Molyneux, the internet personality behind such viral videos as "The Story of Your Enslavement," "Take the Red Pill" and "The Flat Earth Conspiracy Debate." The online payment platform confirmed the termination in a statement shared with Newsweek, writing that "After conducting an extensive review, PayPal has made the decision to discontinue our business relationship with Stefan Molyneux."

PayPal's decision to remove Molyneux from their service is an injurious rebuke to the far-right personality, as much of his income has come from fan gifts, including recurring donations through PayPal.

https://www.newsweek.com/alt-right-youtuber-cut-off-paypal-donations-1469936

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +84
Personally . . I hate this ‘cancel-culture’™, unless someone has broken the law I don't think it should be the place of companies like PayPal and Youtube (and so on) to judge who should and shouldn't be banned and deplatformed, who should and shouldn't be allowed access to the 'public square' to banking and other services . . . it's a worrying growth as we move into a world increasingly centred online, you only need to imagine a world where something like Skype had displaced mobile networks or PayPal had overtaken traditional banking to see how these companies banning people would be cutting them off from essential services.

And this is started to bleed into the real world - and not just online - with people having bank accounts closed and services withdrawn for political views expressed online, like I say it’s not hard to see a time when you can’t hire a car or have food delivered due to your political leanings. Sleeping Giants (the activist organization behind this) has already approached Mastercard (and others) with regard to Molyneux, presumably to have his banking accounts closed.

As much as I find a lot of Molyneux's views nasty, idiotic and comically stupid, he's a small player in the grand scheme of things (and getting smaller over time) despite his laughable fantasy that 'this show has influence in the corridors of power', I'm much more concerned that we are allowing a culture where having the wrong political views (as repugnant as you might find them) can see you taken out of the game like this.

Although having said all that . . . if it was ever going to happen to anyone I can’t think of a better candidate than Molyneux, it should be hilarious to watch his outrage videos . . . . : )
I imagine right now he’s working on a 2 hour apocalyptic-end-times-world-war-III-has-begun rant video, this will register as nothing short of a biblical level event in his mind . . . : )

Ironically this lurch towards a kind of political social credit system is exactly what Molyneux himself has always advocated for in his various musings on a stateless society, a world where DROs can have you deplatformed and banned from services for not toeing the line, a world where falling foul of a DRO would see you unable to buy food, get access to electricity and water, unable to hire a car or buy a plane ticket . . . . I think he’s getting a small taste of just what his imagined ‘free society’ based on social scoring might be like.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 01:14:55 AM by Lupus »

summa logicae

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +60
"Ironically this lurch towards a kind of political social credit system is exactly what Molyneux himself has always advocated for in his various musings on a stateless society, a world where DROs can have you deplatformed and banned from services for not toeing the line, a world where falling foul of a DRO would see you unable to buy food, get access to electricity and water, unable to hire a car or buy a plane ticket . . . . I think he’s getting a small taste of just what his imagined ‘free society’ based on social scoring might be like."

Yes, I don't suppose it will hit him as ironic that he says ostracism is how people that violate the rules should be dealt with in his ideal society.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 12:11:28 PM by summa logicae »

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
Yes, I don't suppose it will hit him as ironic that he says ostracism is how people that violate the rules should be dealt with in his ideal society.

Yep, I doubt it even registers with him. When I first heard about the Chinese social credit system I immediately thought of how similar it was to Molyneux's thinking on his 'free society', basically a reputation system that denies people access to schooling / education, travel, electricity and even food if a DRO determines they deserve to be ostracised from society.

marly qq

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +38
Personally . . I hate this ‘cancel-culture’™, unless someone has broken the law I don't think it should be the place of companies like PayPal and Youtube (and so on) to judge who should and shouldn't be banned and deplatformed, who should and shouldn't be allowed access to the 'public square' to banking and other services . . . it's a worrying growth as we move into a world increasingly centred online, you only need to imagine a world where something like Skype had displaced mobile networks or PayPal had overtaken traditional banking to see how these companies banning people would be cutting them off from essential services.

Websites have been moderating themselves since the internet was created. This forum is moderated. Should no forums or websites like Reddit be allowed to ban users? Just allow all the spam of the world in with no moderation whatsoever? Doesnt sound great.

Lupus

• FDR Enlightened
Websites have been moderating themselves since the internet was created. This forum is moderated. Should no forums or websites like Reddit be allowed to ban users? Just allow all the spam of the world in with no moderation whatsoever? Doesnt sound great.

Agreed, your suggestion of 'just allow all the spam of the world in' doesn't sound great, but I don't think anyone is suggesting that.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 01:02:31 PM by Lupus »