Author Topic: Therapist who told podcast listeners to shun their families reprimanded  (Read 11460 times)

Elucidated

• Kallipolis Agitator
  • FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +217
Re: Therapist who told podcast listeners to shun their families reprimanded
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2012, 05:42:35 PM »

I'm starting to get the same vibes as you guys about a possible breakup... and re-watching Stef's youtube video on the "philosophy of marriage and dating" gives me the impression that Stef would really not take divorce well at all. The definitive way in which he says that he has been married to his wife for 10 years and will never divorce is yet another red flag. He seems to want to impose an added level of certainty which is irrational...

I wonder just how far he's go to keep her if she looked like leaving him?

MutinousMind

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2012, 05:50:29 PM »
If a divorce were to happen, my greatest fear would be for Izzy's well being... Stef spends a lot of time with her and so it would not surprise me if some nasty parental alienation were to occur.

Elucidated

• Kallipolis Agitator
  • FDR Wizard
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2012, 06:08:20 PM »
If a divorce were to happen, my greatest fear would be for Izzy's well being... Stef spends a lot of time with her and so it would not surprise me if some nasty parental alienation were to occur.
Indeed, but even if they stay together, I don't think its a healthy environment for Izzy. He has said that she is an experiment, and that's just how I think he sees her. She's a way for him to proove all his theories rather than a person in her own right. I'd certainly like to think that he loves her, but I think he loves himself a lot more.

Anarchist

• FDR Wizard
  • Rarr!!
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2012, 06:22:51 PM »
Indeed, but even if they stay together, I don't think its a healthy environment for Izzy. He has said that she is an experiment, and that's just how I think he sees her. She's a way for him to proove all his theories rather than a person in her own right. I'd certainly like to think that he loves her, but I think he loves himself a lot more.
Yeah, he thinks that religious parents indoctrinate their children, but he's not going to do that! Instead, what he's going to do, when she asks about whether there's a god, is to give her the analogy of how fairy tales aren't real and costumes don't change people.

Religious people never use analogies!

So of course, that's not leading at all. Izzy will come up with her own conclusions like everyone else who listens to him present analogy after analogy.

It will be the first time anyone has likely ever not indoctrinated their child! And we'll finally be able to see that, absent indoctrination, people come to the same conclusions that have been so obvious to Stefan! Validation!

Hajnal

« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2012, 12:04:18 AM »
Wow. The look on her face says it all. And I hadn't thought about this as a landmark, unprecedented case. I'm very glad the college took it seriously. Mostly, I hope Stefan demonstrates the ultimate support by also ceasing to dispense psychological advice. It will be difficult for her to demonstrate remorse to her colleagues if he keeps doing the same old thing that got her into trouble.]

Yes. Have Stefan stop giving people psychological advice and remove all psychology-related and advice-giving and psychoanalytical podcasts (including the donator ones, and yes, the ones psychologizing "trolls", society, and everyone that lives) and his childhood memoirs...

Focusing only on politics, economics, philosophy...

The old podcasts have to be removed because as long as they are there, they will continue to lure people seeking his improper psychological advice.

If this can be done, then we would have no need to post here...maybe convert this into some forum for other topics, or whatever...

MartinB

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2012, 06:06:52 AM »
gives me the impression that Stef would really not take divorce well at all.
Disagreed. A Narcisist is fully able to blame other people in his lifes for all problems. And if C. disagrees with his ideas, that that would be her fault in the end.

Martin

Elucidated

• Kallipolis Agitator
  • FDR Wizard
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2012, 09:31:38 AM »
gives me the impression that Stef would really not take divorce well at all.
Disagreed. A Narcisist is fully able to blame other people in his lifes for all problems. And if C. disagrees with his ideas, that that would be her fault in the end.

Martin

Yes but he's a narcissist who has told the world that he has the perfect formula for relationships, he'd have to admit he was less than perfect, even if it was merely in choosing the wrong wife in the first place!

Silo Bill

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2012, 01:08:13 PM »

KInda flies in the face of 'showing us how to be good parents' what with Christina guilty of professional misconduct, really great parenting going on there. Fantastic example setting.
Rainbow - Light in the Black

Hajnal

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2012, 02:46:56 PM »

KInda flies in the face of 'showing us how to be good parents' what with Christina guilty of professional misconduct, really great parenting going on there. Fantastic example setting.

Keep in mind that Stef and Christina are the good people - victims, and the people 'punishing' Christina are bad

Therefore your argument is invalid ;)

MartinB

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2012, 03:15:05 PM »
Yes but he's a narcissist who has told the world that he has the perfect formula for relationships, he'd have to admit he was less than perfect, even if it was merely in choosing the wrong wife in the first place!
Maybe he got tricked by someone who wanted to prevent is greatness. Humans are quite good at rationalizing.

Martin

Silo Bill

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2012, 03:53:45 PM »

Keep in mind that Stef and Christina are the good people - victims, and the people 'punishing' Christina are bad

Therefore your argument is invalid ;)

My Dear BlackSwan
How naive of me not too have realised it, thank you for correcting me.
Your humble servant Silo Bill lol :)
Rainbow - Light in the Black

Hajnal

« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »
My Dear BlackSwan
How naive of me not too have realised it, thank you for correcting me.
Your humble servant Silo Bill lol :)

I'll forgive you just this once, peon ;)

virginia

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 01:27:18 AM »
Sharon Presley commented on the article. Here's what she had to say:
Sharon Presley
10:43 PM on November 2, 2012

I'm a psychologist and I can assure you that the Board was right in finding her guilty. What she did is a serious breach of ethics of the American Psychological Assn. [that includes Canada] The people here who are saying she shouldn't be reprimanded are most likely members of the very well-organized cult that she and her husband Stefan Molyneux run. I have investigated what they say, I have interviewed past cult members as well as defooed parents. Everything the ex-cultists and parents say simply confirm what my own reading of their podcasts tell me. Their practices are extremely authoritarian and cultish. I heard Molyneux say with my own ears--if you can't get your friends to agree with your politics, you should shun them. [It's on YouTube under Libertopia 2011]. This sounds just like Scientology, another sophisticated cult for people of more than average intelligence. Not all cults are like the Heaven's Gate crazies. Both of them are dangerous to naive young people. Molyneux thinks he is an expert in psychology but 90% of what he says is BS and in direct conflict with actual research evidence; his wife only has a BA in psych. As a psych professor, I know how much BA graduates know--not enough to be doing therapy. She not only deserved to be reprimanded; she should have her license pulled.
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

TruthAlwaysTold

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2012, 01:39:37 AM »
Wow!

See she knows about cults and how they operate. I also now see them as a cult 100%.

Hajnal

« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2012, 08:59:48 AM »
Sharon Presley commented on the article. Here's what she had to say:
Sharon Presley
10:43 PM on November 2, 2012

I'm a psychologist and I can assure you that the Board was right in finding her guilty. What she did is a serious breach of ethics of the American Psychological Assn. [that includes Canada] The people here who are saying she shouldn't be reprimanded are most likely members of the very well-organized cult that she and her husband Stefan Molyneux run. I have investigated what they say, I have interviewed past cult members as well as defooed parents. Everything the ex-cultists and parents say simply confirm what my own reading of their podcasts tell me. Their practices are extremely authoritarian and cultish. I heard Molyneux say with my own ears--if you can't get your friends to agree with your politics, you should shun them. [It's on YouTube under Libertopia 2011]. This sounds just like Scientology, another sophisticated cult for people of more than average intelligence. Not all cults are like the Heaven's Gate crazies. Both of them are dangerous to naive young people. Molyneux thinks he is an expert in psychology but 90% of what he says is BS and in direct conflict with actual research evidence; his wife only has a BA in psych. As a psych professor, I know how much BA graduates know--not enough to be doing therapy. She not only deserved to be reprimanded; she should have her license pulled.

That (in bold) is the silver lining. I got seduced into a cult -- a cult for smart people ;)