Author Topic: Glad to have found this Forum  (Read 3616 times)

Johnny Irish

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: 0
    • Why I love my Prozac Facebook Page
Glad to have found this Forum
« on: July 18, 2012, 02:02:33 PM »
This forum has provided me with a bit of an education.  Prior to reading all of your comments (by the way, many of you make me feel dumb), I had not grasped the extent of Stefan's reach.  Nor had I realized how many people have made very commendable arguments against his views/philosophies. 

I am not sure if I'm lucky that I never got drawn in by his...well whatever we would call it...maybe just drawn in by "him", or if I envy many of you for having more insight into the inner workings of this man.  Either way I've come to realize more and more that the people that I have seen remain on the FDR forum are less intelligent than my initial evaluation.  However, that doesn't reflect on the people here, I read some of the comments and/or responses here and feel kind of dumb (as mentioned before)...makes me want to read up more on my philosophy.  At least the Cliff Notes version.

I'd love to get an idea of who on FDR is left that people here think migh be the next to make it to this forum...and if people feel like going a step further...who they think will never give up on Stefan regardless of who low he falls?

Hajnal

Re: Glad to have found this Forum
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 02:45:04 PM »
Less intelligent, no. Irrational, yes. Better at managing cognitive dissonance, yes.

People can be very intelligent, but still hold irrational beliefs. And, a person's intelligence does not protect him from susceptibility to suggestion from cults and cult-like groups. The power of group pressures is not to be underestimated.

------------------

P.S.
This fellow for example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Langan
Has an IQ of 195 and believes in intelligent design.

Not that this covers questions about cult stuff or group/peer pressure -- I'm just saying, his intelligence clearly does not make him right.

The way he describes his theories is basically identical to how I described mine when I was a teenager. Does that make me smart? Ah, no... When I took a test back then, my IQ was measured as 119.

But as far as I can tell, religiosity is irrational... I mean, rationality is relative to one's goals, but I mean, it's not empirical... I mean, if I'm wrong about that and I am indeed one of those intelligent people you mention, then still we have an example of how intelligence does not lead to rational thought.

I'm sure there are probably other examples and explanations for what causes people to be dedicated to questionable groups, but it's not because they are stupid or anything.

So there you have it, intelligence is besides the point! :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 03:13:48 PM by Black Swan »

Elucidated

• Kallipolis Agitator
  • FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +217
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 03:23:59 PM »
I've heard it said that people who join cults are more likely to have above average IQ. It makes sense as people join such groups looking for answers / meaning in life whereas your Homer Simpson type is thoroughly satisfied with a couple of bottles of beer and the TV.

On doing a (very) quick search for a reference on it, I came across: http://phys.org/news186236813

Which looks interesting on first skim

Hajnal

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 03:50:45 PM »
That phys.org link gives me a 404 unfortunately :(

Elucidated

• Kallipolis Agitator
  • FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +217
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 03:54:12 PM »

Argent

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +83
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 01:16:37 AM »
You should also check out Liberating Minds, our previous home. Lots of brilliant stuff on there--some from people who have since moved on (*sniff*):

http://liberatingminds.forumotion.com/f26-freedomain-radio

Johnny Irish

• FDR Interested
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 10:28:17 AM »
Argent,

I've been there.  it was actually the first site I found some years ago.  Thank you.

B.S...I just said "less intelligent than my initial evaluation"...I didn't mean they were "dumb".  I fully understand the difference between rationality and intelligence  :)  I will be more careful with my words in the future.

I would like to point out though, I view intelligent people based on the ability to use their intelligence, not just by their IQ.  If a man with a 195 IQ doesn't have the capacity to use empirical data and logic to conclude that evolution is indeed valid, then meh...  He's got the tools, but he doesn't know how to use them.  I know how that is, because I have all kinds of plumbing tools at home, but I couldn't unclog a clogged pipe if it came down to it.

I, of course, get your point and agree that intelligence is a measured value.

Hajnal

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2012, 01:13:54 PM »

B.S...I just said "less intelligent than my initial evaluation"...I didn't mean they were "dumb".  I fully understand the difference between rationality and intelligence  :)  I will be more careful with my words in the future.

Really guys, call me Black Swan or Blackie, not any of this "BS" stuff :-\

Johnny Irish

• FDR Interested
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 01:44:36 PM »
Seems like you might be asking too much of me...

Prodigal son

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 03:26:56 AM »

People can be very intelligent, but still hold irrational beliefs. And, a person's intelligence does not protect him from susceptibility to suggestion from cults and cult-like groups. The power of group pressures is not to be underestimated.

------------------

P.S.
This fellow for example:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Langan
Has an IQ of 195 and believes in intelligent design.

I have been turning this over in my mind for some time. Although I have professed a personal interest in mysticism since my FDR days I'm not advocating deism, creationism, or any of that stuff - I think that's up to the individual (although I know that even that is not a popular view these days), but I did think it worth pointing out that if someone with an IQ of 195 believes in intelligent design (according to Wiki his explanation of his views in this area is nothing if not complex) then surely it's reasonable to at least consider the position "heck, maybe there is more to this than I am currently able to get my brain around" before assuming the perhaps more intuitive "even clever people have irrational beliefs"?
I'm not proposing that we should all just fall into line behind whoever has the highest IQ (whatever that test actually measures), otherwise I'd need to pack up my bongos and get back to the woodshed. Just shooting the breeze, as usual.