Author Topic: FreeDomainRadio Uses Copyright Rules To Get Tru Shibes videos removed?  (Read 25006 times)

BicameralMilieu

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: +1
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 11:57:33 PM by QuestEon »

Argent

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +83
Re: FreeDomainRadio Uses Copywright Rules To Get Tru Shibes videos removed?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2014, 10:51:11 PM »
That's pretty rich, coming from a man who has one counterexample to the claim that he never bows to reason and evidence, and that is that Stephan Kinsella changed his mind on intellectual property. What is Kinsella's take on IP?

Would a libertarian society recognize patents as legitimate? What about copyright? In Against Intellectual Property, Stephan Kinsella, a patent attorney of many years’ experience, offers his response to these questions. Kinsella is altogether opposed to intellectual property, and he explains his position in this brief but wide-ranging book.

http://mises.org/document/3582/Against-Intellectual-Property

BicameralMilieu

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2014, 11:29:35 PM »
scrampi (TruShibes?), we hope you're backing these videos up in case FDR goes full mounty of the TruShibes channel.

Anarchist

• FDR Wizard
  • Rarr!!
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 11:34:10 PM »
+1
Stefan never changes his core views.

Before he was supposedly an ancap, he was a right-wing Randian hawk who wrote comments to newspapers about how arguments from first principles made it Hussein's fault for the US invasion. He has no clue how logic works or how to build a logical argument or what the valid syllogisms are.

He's still talking about how people who don't pay him for his intellectual property are stealing (they certainly aren't taking physical property!) and now this, proving that he doesn't even really believe that ancapism can work, which is why he subverted YouTube's control over its own property with the codified form of legal threat called the DMCA. I'm pretty sure Google, which owns YouTube, isn't all for silencing criticism of cults.

Nothing changes in him fundamentally. Nothing ever can or will change because he has no logic at all but he thinks of himself as the most logical person in generations and thinks of his opinions as solid facts.

QuestEon

• Just some guy with a blog.
  • Administrator
  • FDR Wizard
  • What's your opinion? I'd love to hear it!
  • Respect: +463
    • FDR Liberated
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 11:54:58 PM by QuestEon »
It isn't about winning the debate. It's about the truth.

Prodigal son

Re: FreeDomainRadio Uses Copyright Rules To Get Tru Shibes videos removed?
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2014, 04:14:50 AM »
+1
A shocking but predictable turn of events. The claim made against the Tru Shibes corporation is deceitful at its core because the issue is not copyright (although I might not complain too much if someone at the YouTube corporation, obliged as they are to follow legal guidelines, were to insist that it is indeed about copyright and help Mr Molyneux in his desire to remain the only legitimate poster of his video material by removing all other complete and partial reproductions existing - as yet unchallenged - on YouTube).

The issue, of course, is simply and forever about silencing critics.

How different from the approach taken by the CEO of Tru Shibes, who has received some very harsh criticism of the corporation's output in the comments but has allowed them all to stand for anyone to see and form an independent opinion.
I checked the FDR boards and there are no posts referencing this extremely relevant (ethically and with regard to general community issues) affair, which is quite odd given the large number of users, their devotion to YouTube, and, sadly sometimes, the amount of free time they have on their hands.

See, by contrast, the recent banning of Omega on this forum. The matter has been widely addressed and discussed already despite the FDR/FDRL scale difference (and, if I have time, will soon be further addressed and rambled about by the dreaded Prod). The tolerance displayed by QE, like that of the TS CEO, has been exemplary. Critical voices have been allowed to stand and discussion following such posts or comments has been frank and open, with positions clearly stated in the main, although even tendentious comments with no visible grounding in reality have been left unharmed.

And that, in my view, is the behaviour of people who truly appreciate the importance of ethics and humility and would never have the 'unimitigated audacity' (FZ) to characterise themselves as paragons of either virtue.

Prodigal son

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2014, 04:30:06 AM »
http://www.tiikoni.com/tis/view/?id=7d8ba66

Why - I was asking myself - is BM's post edited by QE? Are you one and the same? :o

QuestEon

• Administrator
  • FDR Wizard
    • FDR Liberated
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2014, 07:22:46 AM »
http://www.tiikoni.com/tis/view/?id=7d8ba66

Why - I was asking myself - is BM's post edited by QE? Are you one and the same? :o

I feel terrible about this. I have an illness. I try so hard to control it; I really do. When I see a little typo in a subject header, it becomes the only thing I can see. (Especially when the subject is an important one.) No one else notices because it's not that big a deal, I know. But...I have this illness... I fixed the spelling of the word "copyright" in the header of that post.  :)

(I would never alter the contents of anyone's post unless it was one of those rare moderated posts, in which I make it clear that some administration occurred.)

QuestEon

• Administrator
  • FDR Wizard
    • FDR Liberated
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2014, 09:41:48 AM »
My legal advice isn't worth a damn, but it seems to me that the defense of your videos is that they are within the Fair Use exception to copyright law...

Argent

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +83
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 10:04:07 AM »
Would it be possible to keep a running list of the ones that have been taken down, with direct links to the parts of the youtube videos you used?

E.g. I've never heard Stefan discuss Landmark Education Forum, so that would be interesting. Evidently, I should have seen this coming when QE posted the article about it, and watched your whole catalogue.

Elucidated

• Kallipolis Agitator
  • FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +213
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 11:46:56 AM »
From another thread - January 2013:

I have all of them, though there may be copyright issues in making them public.
On 15th January this was posted on FDR:

“So I've always thought that Stefan Molyneux was against copyright laws like most acaps are. So my friend recently wrote to me that on the bottom of the forum page we see: Copyright 2005-2012 By Stefan Molyneux. Is there any explenation for this?”

On 16th January Stefan Molyneux replied: “Thanks, I forgot about that, I will remove it”

Today (22nd Jan)- screen shot showing copyright:

HansKarlsson

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 05:29:10 PM »
Have no clue how Mr. Molyneux would explain this logically, but I invite any true believer who reads this forum and is still not convinced about the bullshit FDR's promoting, to give his take on it.

Also, I have no clue about DMCA either, does it apply if only sound is used too? Probably it does. What if one keeps the content under a certain number of seconds/minutes? If needed, I could go research. I'm very sorry about Tru Shibes' work.

On the other hand... under the DMCA act, shouldn't Tru Shibes be permanently banned from this forum and all his content removed? ::)
"Everything that's rich and deep is crap."
-Stefan Molyneux

Token Nazi

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2014, 08:16:13 PM »
Have no clue how Mr. Molyneux would explain this logically, but I invite any true believer who reads this forum and is still not convinced about the bullshit FDR's promoting, to give his take on it.

Well, I can imagine many different ways Molyneux might justify what he's done. He uses consequentialism to get out of sticky situations that a strict adherence to the NAP creates, so he could say that the ends justify the means. He could also say that since we exist in a milieu of coercion because of the state, using coercion is unavoidable, or that criticism constitutes verbal abuse, or that misrepresenting his message is fraud, and that's just what I can come up with off the top of my head. I don't think anyone who believes the important points of his worldview will be too troubled by it.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:18:32 PM by Token Nazi »

HansKarlsson

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2014, 09:43:22 PM »
Well, I can imagine many different ways Molyneux might justify what he's done. He uses consequentialism to get out of sticky situations that a strict adherence to the NAP creates, so he could say that the ends justify the means.
Ok, but (1) he's not leading by example any more; (2) he would still need to deal with Tru Shibes' criticism, which is the most constructive criticism Molyneaux can hope for. If he beats that he's far ahead. Of course, if the criticism wasn't founded, you would see Tru Shibes' videos being disassembled all over the FDR board.

He could also say that since we exist in a milieu of coercion because of the state, using coercion is unavoidable
If the state uses coercion against him, moral principles only allow him to use coercion against the state, not against individual people who he can't prove whether they support the state or not. And no, being against what Molyneux sometimes says doesn't automatically mean one supports the state.

or that criticism constitutes verbal abuse
I know how Molyneaux spins this around, if criticism is not useful towards the goals he tries to achieve he rejects it as verbal abuse. So if my criticism doesn't help him become the best philosopher of all time who solved the most complicated issues starting from first principles, it's rejected as verbal abuse. So I can't see him as a lunatic who continuously rambles on, spreading a mix of hate and common sense, because if I do, I abuse him and in self defense he can kill me. Makes a lot of sense, right? And even if it would be verbal abuse, why nobody is allowed on the FDR board to talk about it? "Hey, look, this dude is abusing FDR!". They are allowed to do this in other cases, where, even if Molyneaux looks like shit, everybody understands it's a satire, but not the true believers, they see it as "illogical criticism".

What Tru Shibes mostly do is let Molyneux say A, then B, where A and B are in contradiction with each other, this proving that Molyneux is a shit spreader in that case. So I can't come and criticize that, because if I do, I don't help towards the shit spreading process he tries to accomplish, right?

or that misrepresenting his message is fraud
He would have to prove the misrepresentation, which again, if he could, he would have happily done it.
"Everything that's rich and deep is crap."
-Stefan Molyneux