Author Topic: Joe Rogan/Stefan Molyneux interview 8/21/2014  (Read 6382 times)

marly qq

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +38
Joe Rogan/Stefan Molyneux interview 8/21/2014
« on: August 21, 2014, 06:19:59 PM »
+1
New, full Joe Rogan podcast with Molyneux here. Molyneux gets confronted on some controversial topics:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/51673884
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 07:26:45 PM by marly qq »

BicameralMilieu

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: +1
Re: Joe Rogan/Stefan Molyneux interview 8/21/2014
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 09:04:42 PM »
New, full Joe Rogan podcast with Molyneux here. Molyneux gets confronted on some controversial topics:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/51673884

So many steaming lies he can't cut out before release because it's not his show!

JimJesus

• #ArizonaIcedOutBoys
  • FDR Enlightened
  • "I thought they taught philosophy over there."
  • Respect: +98
    • Jim Jesus
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 09:24:57 PM »
This song kept running though my head when he was explaining the DMCA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHDtwNX72G4

BicameralMilieu

• FDR Aware
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 09:53:18 PM »
Someone mentioned Stef gets a little crazy and starts fudging up when he's under intense scrutiny. Well, he lied to Joe Rogan with a doozie. Joe says, hey, this defooing thing has a bad rap, didn't your wife get suspended for it? Stef says no she didn't get suspended, which is technically true. It's what he adds to it that is complete and utter bollocks. He says that the resolution of the complaint against his wife was that "defooing was consistent with best psychological practices."

Well, not exactly, the actual complaint which can be found here tells a completely different story: https://members.cpo.on.ca/public_register/show/19048

"(a) You made public statements and provided advice to the public via the website www.freedomainradio.com and podcasts available thereon, wherein you promoted and recommended “deFOOing”, or dissociating from families of origin, both in general terms and in providing advice to specific individuals. You further made these statements and provided this advice in the context of your personal experience and while relying upon your qualifications as a psychological associate. Finally, when providing advice to individuals, you did so without properly assessing the circumstances of the members of the internet audience to whom the advice was provided;

(b)   Your statements in support of deFOOing are not supported by current professional literature or consistent with the standards. Furthermore these statements were made in the absence of any meeting or proper assessment, and posed significant harm to members of the public and to the individuals to whom you directed your advice and comments;

(c) You made more general statements and provided advice, both in general terms and directed towards particular individuals that are not supported by current professional literature or consistent with the standards. One example is your statement that “no one is better off single than coupled.” Another example is the following statement, made in the context of answering the question regarding why someone was attracted to women who were not interested in a romantic relationship."

This portion of the interview starts after the 127:00 mark: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/51673884

BicameralMilieu

• FDR Aware
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 10:07:44 PM »
Amend my previous comment. She did have her license suspended but was allowed to practice under a probationary period. Confusing, but there was still a suspension.

HansKarlsson

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +13
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 01:38:40 AM »
FYI, Molyneaux posted the Joe Rogan interview on youtube and enabled adds on it. See what you made him do?

PS: Philosophy Lines - Joe Rogan, Stefan Molyneux Lied To You About DeFOO!
Joe Rogan, Stefan Molyneux Lied To You About DeFOO!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 01:46:37 AM by HansKarlsson »
"Everything that's rich and deep is crap."
-Stefan Molyneux

Jim Jones

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 02:56:53 AM »
If there's one thing [the only thing] that I appreciate Stefan Molyneux for, it's that he led me to Joe Rogan. Joe is refreshingly honest with his guests and I'm impressed with his willingness to learn on subjects he is not familiar with.

This video in particular just reinforced his best attributes. He didn't shy away from asking Molyneux some uncomfortable questions, yet he remained impartial throughout the interview and and kept an open mind. The overwhelming majority of popular podcasters seem to have an inflated sense of self-worth, and they'll often try to "win" an argument rather than learn from it.

As for the interview itself, it seemed that every time Joe challenged Stefan, Stefan's voice would tremble a bit, presumably from being nervous/caught off guard. I think he treats Joe as much more of an equal than anybody else that he speaks with, which is probably why he seemed so flustered. I'm glad Joe addressed the copyright issue, but the whole time I couldn't help but be bothered by Stefan completely lying through his teeth.
"A system of morality which is based on relative emotional values is a mere illusion, a thoroughly vulgar conception which has nothing sound in it and nothing true." -Socrates

Prodigal son

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 03:52:08 AM »
Looks like Mike might need to put on his asbestos boxer shorts after all.

Just in case the clip doesn't start where it should (which it never does):

"...but that's why we did that thing...[corrects] that's why Mike decided to..."

[Edit to correct transcription]
« Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 05:50:57 AM by Prodigal son »

Prodigal son

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 04:11:50 AM »
Moly has already framed his defense: Mike told him this was the way to solve the problem and Moly fully supports getting bad videos out of your life so he concurred.

But it turns out that Mike didn't look too closely at the details of the copyright claim business (because he's very busy and this is such a new field of endeavour that you need jet boosters to even get from breakfast to dinnertime and anyway he's only been doing the job for a little while)

So Moly, who doesn't know anything about this stuff (legalities, Kafka, State, horror), was not in possession of the correct information... but the State eh? All this complicated legal stuff....

Throughout this segment (and others, when he is under scrutiny) Moly cannot seem to stop upturning his palms in a gesture of absolute innocence and general extraneity to any claim liable to cause prejudice.
I am not an expert on body language, but I seem to understand that if a false accusation is made against an honest man, his hands will not theatrically follow this arc of motion (in fact, at one time they might have remained in potentially troublesome proximity to some kind of weapon) and he will instead inform you with the greatest clarity and severity that the information you are offering is false.

Molyneux uses the pantomime version of course because this is all he knows. Moreover, the claims are entirely true, as he goes on (madly) to confirm when he speaks more fully about, for example, cutting people out of one's life.

But the important thing here is that he has denied it on record and upturned his palms. This is a cue for his audience (refer to your programme for the full libretto)

Prodigal son

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2014, 08:16:42 AM »
I'm not sure if this superb piece of videomaking has already been published, so just in case it ain't (and many compliments to the maker):

JimJesus

• #ArizonaIcedOutBoys
  • FDR Enlightened
  • "I thought they taught philosophy over there."
  • Respect: +98
    • Jim Jesus
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2014, 10:56:48 AM »
I'm not sure if this superb piece of videomaking has already been published, so just in case it ain't (and many compliments to the maker):

Thank you :D

Non Serviam

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2014, 01:05:17 PM »
+1
Stef has completely detonated his reputation this week. Waiting what he will do next.
I'm not here to debate You-Know-Who's views, I'm here to state my views about his behavior.

Anarchist

• FDR Wizard
  • Rarr!!
  • Respect: +11
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2014, 02:50:54 PM »
~ 1:38:00 says he has only ever mentioned the idea of defoo "only 3 or 4 times. It is not central".   (big lie)

From FDR 589, "Examining the Family...":
Quote from: Stefan Molyneux, starting at 19:29
And so defooing is a very core part of achieving freedom. It is the ultimate secession. It's the ultimate emancipation. For bad parents, I mean everyone knows that, right?

And if achieved and talked about—not immediately, it takes a long time—but if achieved and talked about, it is, I think, the most powerful way to begin to crack this biosphere, this diamond hard biosphere of the family.

From "Why The World Is Sick":
Quote from: Stefan Molyneux
So – my wife is right, and I am right. The world is sick because of the family, and the family is sick because fantasies have taken the place of philosophy. To save the world, we need better parenting – and to save parents, we need true philosophy

Like all bad people, the only thing that parents have to offer their children is: relief from a pain that the parents themselves are inflicting. In other words, like priests, parents provoke guilt, and then offer relief from that guilt in return for slavish obedience.

From "Are People Just Stupid?":
So face it: your parents were bullies, or weak curriers of favour, or manipulative emotional infants themselves.

There are only a few possible responses to modern parents:
  • Contempt
  • Indifference
  • Boredom
  • Hatred
  • Empty conformity

You are told to repair things with your parents, but that is an impossible task – a complete waste of time that will also make you crazy.

Does this sound too radical? Do you think it extreme for me to say that almost all parents are horribly bad? Perhaps it is. However, if you look at the state of the world – the general blindness and the slow death of our liberties – the challenge you take on by disagreeing with me is this: if it’s not the parents, what is it?

Either the world is not sick, or parents are. Because, as my wife says, it all starts with the family. If you want to perform the greatest service for political liberty, all you have to do is turf all of your unsatisfying relationships. Parents, siblings, spouse, it doesn’t matter. If you can do that, you can speak honestly about freedom.

If you can’t, well, then you have no right to complain about the government. You can’t ask people to give up their illusions about remote political tyrannies if you can’t escape your own domestic tyrants.

fancofu

• FDR Curious
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2014, 02:31:31 AM »
Someone mentioned Stef gets a little crazy and starts fudging up when he's under intense scrutiny. Well, he lied to Joe Rogan with a doozie. Joe says, hey, this defooing thing has a bad rap, didn't your wife get suspended for it? Stef says no she didn't get suspended, which is technically true. It's what he adds to it that is complete and utter bollocks. He says that the resolution of the complaint against his wife was that "defooing was consistent with best psychological practices."

Well, not exactly, the actual complaint which can be found here tells a completely different story: https://members.cpo.on.ca/public_register/show/19048

"(a) You made public statements and provided advice to the public via the website www.freedomainradio.com and podcasts available thereon, wherein you promoted and recommended “deFOOing”, or dissociating from families of origin, both in general terms and in providing advice to specific individuals. You further made these statements and provided this advice in the context of your personal experience and while relying upon your qualifications as a psychological associate. Finally, when providing advice to individuals, you did so without properly assessing the circumstances of the members of the internet audience to whom the advice was provided;

(b)   Your statements in support of deFOOing are not supported by current professional literature or consistent with the standards. Furthermore these statements were made in the absence of any meeting or proper assessment, and posed significant harm to members of the public and to the individuals to whom you directed your advice and comments;

(c) You made more general statements and provided advice, both in general terms and directed towards particular individuals that are not supported by current professional literature or consistent with the standards. One example is your statement that “no one is better off single than coupled.” Another example is the following statement, made in the context of answering the question regarding why someone was attracted to women who were not interested in a romantic relationship."

This portion of the interview starts after the 127:00 mark: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/51673884

I'm a little confused about this.  When reading the complaint, the statement "deFOOing are not supported by current professional literature or consistent with the standards" is listed in the allegations section.  That is to say, this isn't a conclusion, it's an accusation by the complaintant.  Can you clarify this in case I'm misunderstanding something?

jolly_roger

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +42
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2014, 04:17:38 AM »
I'm a little confused about this.  When reading the complaint, the statement "deFOOing are not supported by current professional literature or consistent with the standards" is listed in the allegations section.  That is to say, this isn't a conclusion, it's an accusation by the complaintant.  Can you clarify this in case I'm misunderstanding something?

Yeah, they're very formal about it.
First they list the allegations, and then they set out to find out how many of them are true.
In the plea section, you see that she plead guilty, which as far as I understand means she accepted all of the allegations.