Author Topic: Moly's "science" source? The TV show "House"  (Read 6763 times)

DePoo

• FDR Enlightened
  • Respect: +23
Moly's "science" source? The TV show "House"
« on: November 01, 2014, 03:42:36 AM »
Molyneux likes to think himself a man grounded in science and empirical evidence. The following quotes are from his cringe worthy call-in show titled  “Why Some People Are Attracted to Jerks”. ......

59 min:
Stefan: You know there is a species of lizard out there. It does pushups to attract its mate. And do you know what happens if they give the lizard steroids so it can do more pushups? It does push ups until it dies....

Stef got this "science" "fact" from the TV medical drama "House." I just happened to be watching it tonight and heard it. It's from 2012, Season 8, Episode 13, around the 17 minute mark. It's said by the character Taub.

As with Moly's appropriation of it this week, it's in a discussion of the rational and irrational aspects of masculinity & femininity.

Taub says "testosterone" instead of "steroids" but it's the same "fact", and I can find no reference online of this "study" anywhere. It really looks like it's something the show's writers made up because it sounded cool and believable.

Here's Taub's exact quote:
"Some male lizards do push-ups to attract mates. When scientists gave them extra testosterone, they did push-ups until they died."

The really awesome thing is that the episode ("Man of the House") is about an "I will solve all your problems" motivational speaker / book author / pop-psychology guru. And the motivational speaker is painted as an angry jerk hiding it under a fake sensitive facade.

(SPOILER ALERT):

The motivational speaker faints and collapses on stage while giving a talk. After being being cured by Dr. House (with a treatment that includes testosterone supplements), the motivational speaker's personality changes.

He no longer wants to be sensitive. He becomes really cocky, starts walking with a swagger, saying whatever he's thinking, and slaps his wife on the butt. His wife is horrified, and he's in danger of losing his audience as a motivational speaker.

Against medical advice, he refuses to continue the testosterone supplements because he "loves his wife so much."

(END SPOILER ALERT)

There is a lizard that does push ups, but I can't find anywhere online about a study where they were given steroids (testosterone or otherwise) to make them do push ups until they die.

The ONLY thing that comes up online when you do various searches for that is this summary of the House episode, which contains the quote (search "lizard" on this page):
http://www.aceshowbiz.com/tv/episodeguide
/house_m_d__s8_e13/

Also, the lizard push ups are related to mating, but they're not "to attract a mate." The lizard push ups are to scare off predators and claim a territory, which does make a mate feel safer. But it's not the push ups themselves that attract the mate:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/11/081124-lizard-pushups-missions_2.html
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 05:15:44 AM by DePoo »

Mike_Lice

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +318
Re: Moly's "science" source? The TV show "House"
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 04:15:11 AM »
everytime stefan refers to a study and he doesn't post a link in the description box. I assume its just a big fat lie. The DMCA thing showed they are 50/50 when it comes to speaking the truth.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 04:19:22 AM by Mike_Lice »

DePoo

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2014, 04:23:46 AM »
everytime stefan refers to a study and he doesn't post a link in the description box. I assume its just a big fat lie. The DMCA thing showed they are 50/50 when it comes to speaking the truth.

Yup.

And I can totally picture Stefan having "House" on the TV in the background while he checks his donations and runs his empire from his mini-mansion. He probably heard the "fact", forgot where he heard it, and assumed it was "science."
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 04:30:32 AM by DePoo »

Mike_Lice

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +318
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2014, 04:49:17 AM »

Yup.

And I can totally picture Stefan having "House" on the TV in the background while he checks his donations and runs his empire from his mini-mansion. He probably heard the "fact", forgot where he heard it, and assumed it was "science."

Stefan used to think homosexuality came from child abuse based on a few gay guys he knew in college. He needed to get schooled on a radio show to adjust his position. It shows he is totally convenient with thinking things based on his own experience and assuming its true and presenting his views as true.

http://www.fdrliberated.com/forum/index.php?topic=409.msg5457#msg5457

Prodigal son

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 06:44:26 AM »
That's an excellent find Depoo - thanks.
My appreciation of Molyneux began to evaporate when I was forced to admit that he had no knowledge of science or true understanding of its workings as a methodology. Indeed, as my incantation started to unravel it became painfully evident that not only was he incompetent in the scientific field, he was fundamentally not at all interested in it.

That this shortcoming is damningly problematic for a person who claims to have saved philosophy and solved the moral dilemma and all moral dilemmas by applying rigorous scientific thinking seems to me to be beyond question.
Indeed, it identifies his entire philosophical posture as nothing more than a vainglorous puff of air.

Thanks, tangentially at least, to Mr Molyneux, I now have a fledgling understanding of the art or science of philosophy, and I have found it to be extremely valuable. The idea that I can, to some extent, examine the question "how do I know what I know?" and sometimes find a satisfactory although never "obsidian clad" answer has aided me greatly in my endeavours and, I believe, allowed me to see a bit more clearly.

I hope and believe that the teeb will, sooner or later, diligently apply this logic (as recommended by Molyneux hisself in a moment of unguarded candour), because simply due to the matter of science, as so well characterised in this thread, the only possible conclusion in relation to most of Molyneux's propositions is that he has no basis whatsoever for the things he presumes or claims to know.

Argent

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +83
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 05:09:51 PM »
I remember him remarking also that he and his wife would watch Dr. Phil together, to learn about how to explain psychological concepts to people in layman's terms. I *think* he said he also used it to gauge the current psychological climate of the general population (i.e. what problems are on people's minds right now).

I put Dr. Phil only just above Jerry Springer in terms of the sensationalism of the topics he covers. It is in no way a cross-section of the general population. And the resolution of every show I have watched (granted, only 3 or 4) is "follow these few simple steps I have laid out for you, and all your problems will be solved."

I can certainly see the appeal for someone who displays a strong desire for living in a utopia where all problems have disappeared. Pretty gross though that this gets repackaged as a solid basis for providing psychological advice. Most human problems don't have easy solutions, and you're not going to get very far if you don't acknowledge that self-improvement is a lifelong process with ups and downs around every corner.

DePoo

• FDR Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 05:36:13 PM »
I remember him remarking also that he and his wife would watch Dr. Phil together, to learn about how to explain psychological concepts to people in layman's terms....

Of COURSE Dr. Phil is an influence on Mr. and Mrs. Molyneux!

Dr. Phil has been investigated for wrongdoing by his licensure board,  and now says that he's "not practicing therapy" while going on camera and trying to solve people's complex emotional issues in public with quick fixes after a couple minutes of general questions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_McGraw#Texas_State_Board_of_Examiners_of_Psychologists
« Last Edit: November 01, 2014, 05:41:56 PM by DePoo »

Jim Jones

• FDR Wizard
  • Respect: +343
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 05:44:35 PM »
Stefan also takes Triune theory as fact...you've probably often heard him talking about the "lizard/reptile brain" and the "monkey brain". He mentions it in many of his videos. If I remember correctly, he's even made a video or two specifically about it (or at least they were so titled).

Unfortunately it doesn't really hold much water in scientific circles anymore. It was a lot more popular in the 60s.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2012/09/07/revenge-of-the-lizard-brain/

http://yalemedicine.yale.edu/autumn2008/features/capsule/51224/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triune_brain#cite_note-PrinciplesBrainEvolution-4

Since I've only heard him mention it as fact, I'm presuming Stefan thinks it is. If he has mentioned it's only a theory, I could be wrong, but I have yet to hear him say that.
"A system of morality which is based on relative emotional values is a mere illusion, a thoroughly vulgar conception which has nothing sound in it and nothing true." -Socrates

uknowhu

• FDR Interested
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 12:07:13 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me to find that Moly takes notes while he watches TV/movies, kind of like how he records all audio everywhere he goes...
Anything to have more amazing incites to wow his largely unthinking audience.

Philosofree

• Awkward Segway
  • FDR Enlightened
  • One does not simply call in and debate.
  • Respect: +27
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 08:36:37 PM »
I remember in a VERY early podcast, Stef said something about atoms not actually existing, only being a concept to describe how matter behaves at microscopic levels (though he admitted that he was wrong in the next podcast after apparently receiving a ton of emails correcting him - probably the one of the only times he's ever acknowledged he was wrong, though I wonder where he got that crazy idea, that atoms don't exist, in the first place).
"In the long run we're all TruShibes."
so truth
much profound
wow

P Jaques

• FDR Aware
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 03:09:10 AM »
I remember in a VERY early podcast, Stef said something about atoms not actually existing, only being a concept to describe how matter behaves at microscopic levels (though he admitted that he was wrong in the next podcast after apparently receiving a ton of emails correcting him - probably the one of the only times he's ever acknowledged he was wrong, though I wonder where he got that crazy idea, that atoms don't exist, in the first place).

As far as I understand it both the non-existing atoms hypothesis and Stink Insurance (©®™Molyneux Industries) both came from a late 1989 episode of Sesame Street.
No, no, no, no, stop, stop, stop . . . you're wrong and I'm right . . . can we have the next caller please Mike.